Does anyone know of anyone who suffered from chronic depression and got better?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I just wondered about this because I don't. Not personally, not online and not anybody I have ever read about. But I was hoping someone out there might.

I've suffered from depression for all of my adult life so far and all of my teens, to even IMAGINE getting better now and being 'normal and functional' seems so far fetched I literally cannot even envisage it.

I just wanted to know if anybody had heard of a person who had suffered from chronic long term depression and was able to find some sort of a normal life, in time and get help.

I suppose if anyone did have a story like this or a news/web article it might be kind of healing for others (incl. myself) on here to see that you can get better. Give us all a little hope.

Fingers crossed somebody has something. I think it'd do me the world of good to read it.
  2. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

cant think of anyone. maybe it just isnt possible?
  3. Aurora Gory Alice

It'd be pretty sad if there wasn't.
    I googled "I overcame depression" and most, if not all, of the stories were just as I thought. People suffering from situation depression like bereavement, broken hearts and post traumatic stress disorder.
    I'm not saying their depression is lesser than anybody elses, but I can't help but to feel when you have situational depression it's easier for things to pick up and for you to find a way to get better. Find a way back I guess.

But if your depression isn't situational and you're not sure what you're supposed to be finding your way back to, how can you ever get better? :(

I can't find my way back to my 6 year old self or whenever I last remember being vaguely happy. That would be ridiculous. I can't even remember being 6. And what about those people who can't ever remember being happy?
  4. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

:( that would be bad. totally gutted.
  5. bluto

bluto Member

I feel similarly... its not that I've never been happy about anything... just not positive about life and looking forward to the future for several months / weeks, even a couple of weeks at a time. I think one is more likely to get better if they've been good in the past, as the OP points out. Maybe because they have a point of reference as to what "feeling good" looks like.
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Nope , never read or heard of anyone..It is unreal that so many people in my family suffer from it..My neice and myself are the worst..Having us being honest with the family has made the others come out of the closet and admit that they suffer also..Just not as bad..
  7. shades

shades Staff Alumni

My father! He was diagnosed with clinical/chronic depression and was put on prozac. Although I wouldn't say he became a completely different person, he was, in fact, much happier and able to improve the quality of his friendships and his relationships within our family.
  8. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

Yeah, me :)
  9. Aurora Gory Alice

Tell us your story Zoe! :)
  10. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

I do, or more episodic. But chronic and episodic sounds alike to me. I have BDP traits (or am BDP, if there's a difference). The first depression I was 9. My legal father touched me a little too much. Anyways, I'm on seroplex and xanax. But only therapy, cognitive therapy too can really help on the long term. It's long and hard. But it works. At least, I don't want to commit suicide, and have some good moments and days.
  11. DreamReaver

DreamReaver Well-Known Member

I know 2 friends (1 former friend) that got over chronic depression, never seen them so happy, lucky people.
  12. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

>After a year of therapy my psychiatrist told me "Well maybe life isn't for everyone after all."< :)

after 47 years I could say the same, but I don't loose hope, heard 2 successful stories, well if they could do it why couldn't I, after all I have at least 47 years more to live, everyone in my family lives over 90 :biggrin:
  13. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

i belive more in bad days(so depressed) & good days...
    i belive also that people who depressed mostly are ugly,rejected,poor,or have medical condition (phiscal only) like diabetes...and its cronic things for live cos we dont have surgary to change brain or u pay alot of plastic sargury that most people dont have money for it..
    So, this is not changable.and if the main reason not,the depression level not changable alot.
    some of make people depressed like me is how life & people are live bad people who torcher & so poor in africa.
    so,you will not find so many who become so changable.

PS: I apologize if i offended by my words...i was saying just what i belive in & ofcourse this is not all of the cases.
    PS: this is not apply to all people.
  14. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

I don't know anyone who has suffered from it and got better. I wish I did, then maybe I would have a little hope for myself. But after suffering with this for so long, I can't even imagine what it's like to be better.
  15. Aurora Gory Alice

What I'd really love is to read an article or read a diary excerpt from someone who has gotten better. I think it could benefit all of us.
  16. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Ive gotten better I think. Its still 'chronic' BUT the really, really bad days are few and far between...They tend to be moderately awful now, rather than breathtakingly bad lol. Guess you can consider it progress. I choose to do so.
  17. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

I admire you. I'm gonna think about what you wrote each time I have a little bad moment. Thanks.
  18. morfea

Thank you Dana:) I beleive we can all help each other here, if only with little things from time to time, it still means a lot. :sf:
  19. stormfront

stormfront Member

I'm gonna throw this one out there - do I still get depressed? Yes. The major difference is that it no longer bothers me. And ever since I've been able to go through it with a different attitude, it no longer lasts as long and isn't nearly as severe as it used to be. This has given me the strength to believe that eventually it will completely disappear.

Instead of being afraid of my depression, I decided to analyze it. I bought a TON of books on depression, some were typical medical definitions, however, some were very motivational and went against the grain of modern medicine. I finally settled on several books that really seemed to alter the state of my depression and read them repeatedly when I would go through a depressive spell.

Some of you will think, "this guy isn't really depressed then" - but I spent a week in a psych ward with severe suicidal ideation. I've been to numerous psychologists/psychiatrists and have tried almost every medication out there for depression. Now I'm only taking a mild tranquilizer AS NEEDED, nothing long term.

I think the bibliotherapy combined with an intense round of cognitive behavior therapy has really helped me.
  20. morfea

Thank you for sharing that, I've read a few books about depression too, and some of them did help. Can you recommend any?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.