Does anyone know what a first meeting with a psychologist looks like?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Cooki, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooki

Cooki Well-Known Member

I'm scared... Tomorrow I'll have to go to a psychologist for a first meeting, my dad will be with me. I don't know how much I can tell as long as my dad is in the room.... I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but actually my parents are a big part of my problems. So that won't work. And I already hate that psychologist for making me show up at 8.30am, since I should be at school then! I don't want to have to do all that stuff at home -.- soooo, does anyone know what this will be like tomorrow..?

2. Johnny Messina

Johnny Messina Well-Known Member

I don't know.. Try not to be nervous, you'll be ok.. I wish you very best :thumb:

3. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Well, being a psych he would understand that you would very well have mixed feelings about having to be there, and that there are probably things you would not be willing to say with your Dad present. If you get the chance, you could ask if there is likely to be opportunity for any personal consultation just 1-1 instead of 1-2. Try not to have fixed preconceptions about what your feelings are before the event, try and keep an open mind, but know that they will both have your best interests at heart, and so say what you feel you need to about how you see life and your circumstances and what you don't like about them and want to see changed. Good luck for tomorrow and all the best :)

4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Do you think youre the only one that has a parent going to a psychologist for first time? Ive been there done that when I was in High school. I sulked while my mom talked I said nothing. Good ol memories.

Im sure he will talk to you alone at some point. Its helpful to gain parents insight as well. Our perception of whats going on is different than the parent usually.

No worries each shrink is actually a different experience. Ive been to different ones in high school and fast foward 12 years later im finding out shrinks are still different.

5. Cooki

Cooki Well-Known Member

My parents are a bit strange... They are so goddamn angry at me because of that. My parents got a paper with some questions about our family, and they lied all way through -.- not even one single answer is right from what I see. I don't know what my parents want to reach by that, but I guess they still totally don't care about myfeelings at all.

6. Cooki

Cooki Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone for replying!

7. Caminho - lunar

Caminho - lunar Active Member

It's seems to me that they do care a little or they wouldn't take(/go) the appt with you. Maybe they just don't know what to do to help.
    Good luck for you.

8. Cooki

Cooki Well-Known Member

I just came back. That psychologist just told me that she hopes we won't ever meet again. I shall look for some therapist. To get that idea of perfection out of my head. Really, that was the only thing she said after she had asked me soooo many questions oO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.