does anyone own fish?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by the masked depressant, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

just a few days ago now, i got myself a fishtank... pretty small (can hold up to 24 fish). anyway, went to the shop and got myself the first 2 fish.. the lady said not to put anymore in for a whole week

my question is, that just last night... all the tank went cloudy, horrible water and stuff and i really am not sure what to do about it

never owned fish myself (this is a first time) so if anyone does have suggestions, lemm know

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Holy crap you are not prepared!

1) How big is your tank, in gallons (or litres if you prefer)?
    2) What kind of filter do you have? Is it properly installed?
    3) What kind of fish are they?

So many more questions, but these are the starters. Here, read all this. Don't fret about the nitrogen cycle at the moment, your fish will suffer but probably survive and complete the cycle. Wait a few weeks to put more in, not just one, though.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011
  3. the masked depressant

thanks for your reply.. i apreciate it!

1. 30 leetres (yes, 30..)

2. some kind of tube thing... not quite sure what it's called

3. goldfish

don't blame me, blame the woman in the shop- i know nothing at all about fish keeping so was just going along with her suggestions
  4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Not blaming you, just trying to fix things.

Tanks are measured in gallons for most purposes, I assume they're US gallons. In that case you have an 8 gallon tank. You probably shouldn't keep more than *4* goldfish, though Fishlore would advise no more than 2 (I think goldfish are about 2 inches when fully grown).

Do you know the capacity of the filter? Is it installed correctly? Is the filter media in place (this seems the likely source of the problem)? It should have come with a user manual...
  5. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

It depends what goldfish your getting aswell..........I wouldnt suggest shoving a Koi(large japanese pond fish) into a small tank, they can grow to over a foot(depending on how massive the pond is of course).

You can find hundreds of different goldfish(I can't remember where your from, but most countries have one or two major websites that sell fish over the internet and can post them). They can range from $2 each to over $45 each.

As aoeu said, don't put to many fish in at first. Because the tank goes through a nitrogen cycle, which is where the filter tries to accumilate (good)bacteria to help breakdown toxic waste in the water. From my personal experience, goldfish are fairly hardy things. They're considered the easiest(I'd say) because they're cold water dwellers. Plus they're cheap, so if they drop dead you can hop on down to the pet store and get a new one lol.

What kind of filter do you have?(there should be a name on the box). I'd assume that its a small internal filter, because theyre cheap as chips to get.

I've set up a few tanks over a number of years(mainly having to move them around the house because I've acquired more :unsure:). I wouldn't say I've ever really "cycled" my tanks ENTIRELY. I read somewhere that to get a complete nitrogen cycle it can take like a couple of months. Not that it really worries me, the fish I've got aren't very touchy(most fish can put up with a slightly high nitrogen level. Unless you have Discus...they drop dead if you fucking forget to do a water change one day lolol).

Don't spaz out too much. My little sister(she's like 7...) has a crappy 15 gallon(Max of 50 litres) tank in her room with a goldfish and some guppies/a molly in it. It's only half filled and she took the filter out a week or two ago. we haven't done a water change in over a month or so, and the goldfish(atleast) is still alive....
  6. the masked depressant

thanks for your response

will take it a day at a time i think.. i changed the water this morning so i hope that will at least do something

you can get diffrent types of goldfish?
  7. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I used to, but now I just eat em! lol
  8. the masked depressant

i'm sure all the fish watch out for you then

i'll be keeping mine well away
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.