Does anything have to be wrong

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by hopingthisisover, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hopingthisisover

hopingthisisover New Member

I think a lot of people think that depressed people have something in their life that they are unhappy about. What if they are okay with how things are but still feel depressed? That has to be possible. I have people in my life that I love and can surround myself with things that I like, but I still feel depressed. Maybe there is a ceiling that you hit. You can only be so happy and then you will never be that happy again. Once you've reached that place of happiness maybe you need to manage your sadness.

Is it reasonable to say that I am sad and depressed but there is no real reason why? I get up, go to work, pay my bills, have off on the weekends, and still feel empty. I'm in a relationship with someone I love, we have a great thing going, but I still feel like there should be more to life than this. This can't be it, can it? There has to be something more.

It doesn't seem right that I can have all of that and still feel this way.
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It is very reasonable and that is what depression is. It is more often the case that people look for a "reason" or convince themselves if one or two thing sin life were different then all would be fine and they would not be depressed but that is not the case with depression. It makes everything "less" of value, and and can easily feel sad or unfulfilled buy things that most would think were good or that you used to enjoy . Not having some big reason or trauma or issue does not mean cant be depressed or that you should be happy - it is an illness and make sit impossible to feel happy or content for any amount of time no matter what the situation and the lack of a horrible situation does not mean it is any less difficult or painful at all. I hope you have some professional help in dealing with this as it can be treated and that can improve things for the vast majority of people. Many also find it helpful just to be able to talk to others about it like on here.

Take Care and Be Safe

- Ben
  3. Dewonderland

Dewonderland Well-Known Member

Hey there,

You can have everything and even more but still it isn't it.
    It might be harder in some ways because you don't even have something to fight against or nothing specific.

But there might be something that give you that feeling of sadness.
    Could you tell us what happens when this emptiness comes to you.

Anyway if you need to talk don't feel like you don't deserve someone to listen because you have this or that.
    This is very good that you're able to point out what are the good parts in your life but that doesn't prevent you to be human in all our weirdness and flaws ... that might be just the bad side of the deal or maybe it is part of the good things but we just have to learn to handle it.
    I won't be the one with the answers but you might find your way somehow and if you need to talk at leaer there are listeners here !

4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

That feeling of emptiness I think is norm part of depression but don't be quick to call it the big D.... Maybe you're at the point in your life that is looking for a calling or passion to give you more purpose in life?

Welcome aboard
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

No, there does not have to be a reason. Depression can affect anyone (1 in 4) sometime in their lives. Some are caused by physical factors others psychologically e.g. a chemical imbalance could be causing the depression alone. Either way you need to seek help and it's great you have started by posting here because here we understand what others may not. Please talk to a doctor about your thoughts, there are many many medications that could help you feel better about yourself and life. I wish you all the best x
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.