Does ativan make anyone else....weird??

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by VALIS, Jun 7, 2008.

1. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Ok so I've had this ridiculous problem with insomnia, making me unstable, my relationships strained, and my commitments unmet. (I am bipolar II and if I don't get sleep my life basically falls apart)

My doctor gave me Neurontin, which didn't work, so he upped the dose to something high. Still didn't work.

Now he gave me ativan, 2mg tabs to take 1/2 before bed and 1/2 an hour before bed.

Now I'm getting good sleep but find myself very depressed, crying for no reason or else wanting to cry. Having disturbing images such as my own bloated dead green body hanging from a rope in the corner of the room. Car crashes, etc. So the disturbing images in my head and the suicidal thoughts, the sadness for no reason at all.

Anyone else have weird effects from ativan/aka lorazepam??
  2. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

Ativan may have calmed me down a little bit, actually. That's what it's supposed to do. Obviously that's not the case with you. Clonzepam or Xanax might do the trick, but if you have bipolar disorder, you need more than that. What mood stabilizers or antidepressants are you on?
  3. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

Well thanks for the reply, I've been out of town sort of and haven't been on SF. I think the weirdness was brought on by the Abilify I was taking to correct what I saw as the effect of ativan. I am still horrendously depressed but am meeting my obligations at the very least. I think its seasonal to be honest- we've just entered the summer solstice and I've always hated the summer. Its just getting me down that I don't get a vacation from work and school plus the heat and everyone acting stupid. I hate this city more than life itself.
  4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Ativan has always calmed me down, not the opposite. Wish I had some right now.:blink:
  5. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

suprisingly that's one i haven't been on. someone mentioned something about abilify. i just started that one last friday. i ain't sleepin' any better yet for sure.