Does changing your outlook change your life?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by friendless, Jan 23, 2010.

Does changing how you feel about life CHANGE your life?

Poll closed Feb 22, 2010.
  1. yes

4 vote(s)
  2. no

10 vote(s)
  3. maybe

6 vote(s)
  4. I will think about it.

1 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. friendless

friendless Well-Known Member

I copied down a quote from Reverend Run and felt kind of stupid for doing it since the quote was;

"Get wit da program! This world is a mirror. Love it & it'll lick u in da face jus like a little puppy!!!!! :)"

As appalling and creepy as getting licked in the face by the world/mirror is, maybe he has a point. I figured I'd give it a try and was wondering how everyone else felt about this quote. Does changing your outlook really change your life? I really want to see if this works, so if you give it a try tell me how it goes.
  2. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

That's the dumbest quote I've ever read.

And I think changing your outlook can help to change your life, but you need to do more than that.
  3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Changing your outlook changes your life because it changes the way you look at things. The problems are still there and still need to be dealt with. Seeking a positive outlook is work for some people, like me, but it is something that *I can* do for myself.

I try my best to stick with things *I can* do for myself. At least I get something accomplished because I'm not stuck on what I can't do.
  4. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I constantly have to purge my mindset of negative thoughts that latch on and induce depression and worsen my chronic anxiety. When I obsess over my physical imperfections I remind myself that I am not in a wheelchair or otherwise severely physically "different" and impaired.

When I am frustrated over being disabled by OCD, depression and generalized anxiety I remind myself that I do not suffer from psychosis or mental retardation. When I am frustrated over the pressures of being stuck on a very low and fixed income I remind myself that I am not cold or hungry- in fact I have nutritious food, a roof over my head and I'm on a computer.

Most important when I ruminate over the "bad hand" I've been dealt in life- genetically and enviornmentally I remind myself that this mindset accomplishes and leads to only one mental state; depression. I believe keeping my outlook focused on my positive factors is far better for my mental health than any medication I take.
  5. friendless

But changing your outlook can change the way you act since people act based on their thought patterns and beliefs.

Here's a bit of a convoluted example. Imagine giving someone canned pork as a gag gift. If the person is Christian, it may be a corny joke whatever the joke was but it wouldn't be a big deal. If you gave it to someone who is Jewish or Muslim, they might take offense and the gift takes on new meaning. How they react also depends on their values; what their parents/teachers/religious leaders told them was 'good' or 'proper behavior', also social conventions, as well as their relationship to you and everything that that entails. Personal attitudes and temperament also factor in.

I think your worldview influences how you see the world and how you react to it.

I'm no longer suicidal, but I'm still far from happy and I'm wondering if trying to change the way I think of the world will change my life for the better. I'm 28 going on 29, so my thought patterns and habits are pretty ingrained, and I don't know if at this point in my life it's already too late.

Thank you all for your responses, I'm going to make this a bit of an experiment using myself as a test subject and will post letting you all know how it's panning out.
  6. friendless

I just thought of a better example.

How would you think about life if you believed that human nature is inherently good? That people can change for the better? Think of things that have happened in your life, would how you viewed these events change? How would you think of the people involved?

Now flip it. What would you think about life if you believed that human nature is evil and people are only motivated by self-interest? That people can't change and never will?

What have you always believed about life and can you change it for the better?
  7. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

8. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

9. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

Not for me. It changes the way others look at me. And I hate the idea of it.
  10. SelfMadePrison

SelfMadePrison Banned Member

Well when you break down the sentence there is only one real answer and it is Yes.. my reasoning..

Does changing how you feel about life CHANGE your life?

changing how you feel is a definite life change.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.