Does counselling really help

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by canucklady, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. canucklady

canucklady Active Member

I have been so down these past few days. Everytime I wake up I think that I would be better off dead. It is a fleeting thought sometimes, sometimes have to fight it a bit more.

I have been going to psychologist, but havent told her this yet. I am wondering would it even help if I told her, she knows how depressed I am. She knows by just talking to me. How can telling her I am suicidal, help wiht the thoughts in the morning.

I know she will ask me if I have a plan etc. So I am afraid to tell her the truth. Don't want her to freak out and then I end up in hospital, that would make me feel even worse, that woudl be another thing my family would have to be ashamed in me about.

I dont know, what have others done when they felt this low.
  2. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

Please tell your psychologist that you're having these thoughts. There is a possibility of hospitalization, but it's nothing to be ashamed about. Depression is an illness.

I haven't had proper counseling yet--my first two psychiatrists didn't really do therapy--and I've only been to the new counselor once and the new psychiatrist once. I'd say keep trying, though. Sometimes it's a relief just to let everything out.

Hope you're doing well soon.
  3. lemonyjuice

lemonyjuice Member

You should tell. It won't necessarily land you in the hospital. In fact, you probably won't end up in the hospital.
  4. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Try and talk to her. She's probably heard it all before and is used to it and would want to help you without hospital. A hospital admission is unpredictable in the UK (or it is from my experience). But if you do go it's not the end of the world and it's nothing to be ashamed about. I hope it goes well, although it does sound scary, telling someone for the first time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.