Does depression drains your energy?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by 1victor, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1victor

1victor Well-Known Member

I just wanted to know what it does to you.
    It seems like a cannot do anything that I would normally done without much effort. I need to look for work but I cannot even get out of bed in the morning.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2009
  2. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

Being tired a lot is a symptom. If you haven't already, I think you should try and see a doctor. They may be able to help you out.
  3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Definitely, lack of energy is a symptom of depression. When a person is depressed, it's not uncommon for them to not want to get out of bed in the morning and to struggle doing things they used to enjoy.
  4. 1victor

So, that's why depressed people are not capable to put a good fight for their happiness. They just do not have any energy. And now I am one of them.
    That is sad.
  5. WildCherry

:hug: Sorry you're so down, here if you need anything.
  6. 1victor

I know.
    You are an angel.
  7. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

how are you
    oh yeah...i have abslutly no enrgy...i had time i can even get out of bed...or even move my arms or legs...cant breath...depression make me also... with no enrgy to walk or go upsters...I feel the sters is so far away ant so long...cand do many thing cos everything so hard to do...also i cant study cos i feel dizzy cos of depression...and always self-esteem...feel like everything is wrong...sleep alot or no eat at all...wake up every 2 sec then wake up...shaking, panic, anoxiaty all the time...feel lonely even in very crowded room...cant foucus on anything...24/7 crying...cant enjoy anything even presents....lost interst in isolation...fear to go in puplic...feel bored all daylong....and effect me in many other things.:sad:
  8. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Yea, people think I'm lazy which kinda pisses me off...pretty sad because I get tired even though I'm on the computer so I wouldn't say I do an awful lot more :(. And as soon as I wake up, like maybe an hour or half an hour after I wake up I'm tired, like ughhh :mad:.
  9. dreaminghome

dreaminghome Well-Known Member

I feel like it eats me from the inside like it was a parasite. Drains energy but also any will of doing things, likes, dislikes, intentions, plans, feels like a big black hole inside me that eats everything.
  10. 1victor

Yes, yes, and yes!
    I have all those symptoms.
    I wasn't like that. As I remember, I used to work 12 hours a day without any days off and it was ok. I used to be a very happy person. Since I discovered that my wife has a secret life that I know nothing about (it's not a man) I slide to a point where you and I are now. My friend told me to think positives thoughts and avoid anything that can trigger depression but I cannot. I cannot avoid thinking of the person I loved almost 30 years. Therefore depression is here to stay.
  11. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

I have periods where I don't need much sleep (about 4 hours), and others where I just can't get up. I can literally sleep around 16 to 20 hours a day during those periods. And it's not always because I don't want to get up, because I do. I can go to bed at 10 at night, and wake up the next day at 3 in the afternoon and feel like I haven't slept at all...
  12. 1victor

You just mentioned parasites and I remembered some Russian article about it.

Thousands of different parasites can invade a human being. Many of them can cause fatigue, also symptoms include tiredness, flue-like symptoms, apathy, depression and lack of concentration.
    I am sure you can find more info in English by looking for +depression +parasites.
    So, if your depression comes from nowhere, I mean no relationships to mend or financial problems to solve then you might have parasites.
    Something to think about.
  13. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Depression hasn't really drained my physical energy, but my mental energy. I have no problem getting out of bed in the morning for example.

But, all I want to do is just sit on the computer and surf the internet and play games or get on the couch and watch TV.

I was already an anti-social, extreme couch potato long before I had depression but its made it only worse.

I am about to graduate from college and my parents are urging me to get off and go look for a job for starters. I just don't want do. All I want to do is still be a child. I know it is incredibly pathetic for me to do this at my age but I just can't help it. :(
  14. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I always say this - depression is such a vicious illness because it drains you of the one thing you need to fight it - your energy.
  15. WildCherry

It's easy for someone to tell you to think positive and avoid the negative. But it's not easy to actually do that. Sometimes you can't help but think about what's bringing you down.
  16. 1victor

Yeah, I can see that now.

I wish I had some idea of where I am heading to.
    I used to have goals and I knew how to achieve them but all my goals and dreams were built for two. Now when I am alone I have no idea why I should be in this world at all. I got married very young and I have never been single till now where I am 52 and have no place to live and no job to support myself and nobody to give my love to (my dearest family). And now depression gets best out of me.
    So, my friends, how do you live with this thing. I had depression for 3 month and I am already tired of it. If you got it as a permanent condition how do you cope with it? Is it really possible to lead this kind of life? I am asking because I am going to end it one way or the other.
  17. WildCherry

It will take time for you to build new hopes and dreams. You have to take it one day at a time, and one step at a time. It's going to take time for you to heal.

I don't know where you're living now, but is it possible for you to continue to live there?

Don't give up on yourself, or on life. :hug: You can make it through this. From what I can tell, you seem like a strong person. You've been knocked down, but you can get up again, and you don't have to do it alone.
  18. 1victor

I am waiting for eviction notice. Next week I have to move some things that have value to my friend's house. After that it's a shelter. Considering that the office receives around 1200 applications a week one can imagine what it takes to be a homeless person in NYC. I talked to some people with the experience and they say that it's almost impossible to change the status once you are there, not for an old single person.

Strong person ... that can go either way. One thing I know is that I am not going to shit my pants or cry in self pity if I decide to take the easy way out.
  19. Sparky55313

Sparky55313 Well-Known Member

Depression zaps life! I used to be a work a holic. Never took days off. When it did take its grip on me I self medicated with beer. it was a good band aid at first. I got to the point I was too lazy to get a beer. If the remote wasn't in reach I thought piss on tv. I couldn't sleep very well if at all. I finally got meds, stopped the drinking. I am still very depressed but can sleep now. I have days I can't do anything so when I do have the days I feel energized, I get everything done that I can.
  20. 1victor

Our bodies produce a chemical MELATONIN that makes us go to sleep. With age the levels of melatonin drop and that's why older people do not sleep as long as young ones. Another fact is that to support a healthy hormone balance we need that sleep, especially RAM sleep. No proper sleeping your hormone balance goes south which effects your mood. Bad mood means you do not care what happens to you so why you should worry about getting enough sleep and you start going in circles from here. One more fact. We have 24 hour day but our bodies have 25 hour day. Some people have 26 or even 27 hour day. But we cannot have 25 hour day on this planet so we must cheat. You have two choices here
    1 you must go to bad every day at the same time, preferably at 10:00pm.
    2 or you must get up every morning (no exceptions) at the same time. This will reset the internal clock. As the result you will sleep better, and look healthier.
    Again, take melatonin, go to sleep at the same time, get enough sleep. If you want to take a nap in the midle of the day do it. 20 min usually is sufficient.

I am not saying that depression will go away (though it might) but I am sure you will have more energy to fight it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.