Does depression have to be sadness?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Chargette, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I'm feeling very depressed now and I don't feel sad about anything but I don't care much about anything and my motivations are out the window. I hate it when people ask what I'm depressed about and it's not sadness and they don't get it. The only thing I know to say to them is that I have a brain disease not an emotional problem. I guess that is what bugs me most is that people think I have an emotional problem when in fact I have a brain disease.

What do you all think?

2. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

For me, most often it feels like nothing. By nothing I mean no emotion, no involvement in the world around me, no interest in anything other than sleep. Sadness is pretty rare in my case. For the longest time I didn't pay any attention to what was happening with me. I wasn't sad so I assumed nothing was wrong, that I just had an odd personality or an eccentric disposition; any explanation I could think of besides mental illness.

3. Ed.

Ed. Well-Known Member

I feel numb always, always empty and numb, though sometimes very low. But by low it's not only sadness, it's like very tired and completely lacking in any energy. I just can't function. Sometimes I am cheery, like if I'm talking with a friend and maknig each other laugh (my 1 only other human real life friend haha)

4. ace

ace Well-Known Member

At times I've felt nothing while suffering depression a strange feeling you'd say,at times I wonder why I feel the way I do.

5. roksy

roksy Well-Known Member

I feel the same way. There are so many things that are depressing me but I am not feeling very sad. My dad never understood that I am depressed. While I feel suicidal, he doesn't even think that I am depressed.

I guess I am managing my depression well but I do not feel much hope.

6. PollyAnna

PollyAnna Account Closed

You mean apathy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.