does depression really lie?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by pit, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Or is it just seeing things the way they really are? To me, being on a negative/realistic slant is more down to earth and truthful, because I've come to accept some things about myself.

In the grand scheme of life, I am weak and not meant to live. I'm too tired and discouraged to offer anything more. I've been kicked while I'm down and expect to get kicked some more. And I envy anyone who is successful in their suicide.

I have no job, no future, and my financial history is about to crumble. I may still have my physical health, but my mental health is taking a beating. I have absolute hatred for most people in my life, and the friends that I have don't talk with me that often. In essence, I am running on fumes.

I'm seriously thinking about going back on Prozac. And I've seen many therapists in the past, but none can claim a solid relationship of progress. There was only one I really liked, and that was at a college campus two decades ago.

I think depression is nature's way to weed out the weak. I don't mean to sound insulting to people who are trying to overcome it, but that's the way I feel now. I want my life to be over and done with -- desperately.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2008
  2. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

It does... you cant know what will happen after 5 years... Maybe it will get worse, maybe it will get much better...
    There is one positive side in depression- after you beat it, your life become much more rich- because you start aprreaciating non material things too...
  3. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

Depression does lie. No doubts of that.
    No matter how successful you are, depression will tell you you suck. Or rather, you will try to convince yourself you suck so that you feel justified in going ahead with the suicide, to kill the pain. The difference is academic.
    Depression does lie. It is good to know that depression lies. The problem is, when you feel like hell, knowing all those thoughts in your head aren't entirely right doesn't make you feel any better.
  4. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Such thoughts breed more dark thoughts which breed more negative outlooks on life. Its a vicious self-inducing cycle. You'll never feel you've amounted to anything or that life is worth living unless you will yourself too. I know it seems cliche but it truly is mind over matter. Letting such thoughts brood repeatedly in your head will only keep you down.
  5. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

No my depression stemmed from very very real things going on in the world, it wasn't a lie. I really hate it when people talk to me as if depression is something in a box called Depression and Depression is not linked to any part of my life and the environment I live in. Or that I should feel completely over the moon if I am 'successful' to others' standards but they can't understand why I feel so disgusted at myself/want to self harm and my feelings are down to 'low self esteem' when it's not that at all.

Anyway, I think, by looking at your post you have every right to feel the way you do. You obviously feel beaten down by things and that can make you feel horrible and low.
  6. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Yes i agree with this.
  7. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Yes but this doesnt mean that the things it tells you are wrong. And just convincing yourself that your life does matter doesnt mean it is the truth, either.
  8. Ramino

Ramino Member

I believe depression is absolute honesty... it what everybody thinks but dosent say... for example, if someone thinks that they are ugly, chances are they are.. depression dosent lie, it just puts you in such a state of reality that human nature initiates (denial) then you lie..
  9. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

I'm inclined to think it a pathology. And see, pathologies--illnesses--can strike anyone, even the strongest and fittest and smartest.

Even the very gifted and wealthy (look at Kurt Cobain).

Darwin's Natural Selection, then?

It's puzzling to me because, though depressed (or at the least, dysthymic, I desperately want to "RAGE, RAGE against the dying of the light." (Dylan Thomas).

To your question, I know that
    depression reflects distorted view of one's world because it is pathological.

10. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

I've thought alot about this, 'cos I've taken comfort and hope from the "depression lies" POV

Yes, I lost my job, was deported, best friend dumped me, mom died, my savings are gone... all in the last year or so....

These are all external realities, not in my head at all. But what is within my control is how I thought about them. When I'm not depressed I can say "what a difficult year" or maybe "I feel lonely"... but when I am depressed the conversation goes something like this "you are a complete and total loser, what a fuck-up, look how you screwed up again. you are whining about being alone? you deserve to be alone, 'cos fact is you are unlovable... do you wanna feel better? ok, kill yourself..." blah blah blah, all variations on this self-hatred. when i'm depressed i loop obsessively, 24/7 around these themes. the pain is fucking unbearable.

that second conversation is depression speaking, putting its black cloud interpretation of my experiences. i haven't yet learned how to argue against these thoughts, but i am learning to recognize them and observe them from a distance.

11. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

My depression lies to me, telling me i'm worthless when I'm really not. but aside from the genetic/brain chemical imbalance factors, part of my depression is situational; when i can't pay my bills or haven't enough work or something like that. No antidepressants in the world can 'fix' that sort of depression... and I"m wondering how to deal with it...
  12. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

::thumbup: Life is a challenge at every turn, depressed or no. Being broke and financially stressed wouldn't be a pleasant experience for anyone.

Pit You have such an awesome sense of humor my man. I loved your post that was titled simply

a gun

.... on a suicide forum of all places! I thought was a riot!

Now... I know you were serious which made it all the more funny! :laugh:

Then there's that post a while back:

Pit, you've heard the expression, The Gift of Life, right? We are, for whatever reason, endowed with this "Gift of Life" and the irony is that while others are literally fighting for their lives in hospitals around the world, so many here of us here at SF are willing to just throw it all way.

It just a bizarre spectacle for me stand back and take in. It's really strange.

13. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

Pit, i think I got out of depression (slowly but surely) when i took the focus off of myself and started tending to the needs of others around me. Depression was not a nature's way of weeding me out, but of awakening me to live the life i was meant to live. depression was a means to an end, not an end in itself. it was a signal that i was cheating nature. when i began to solve other's problems, I started reaping what i was sowing. making others less depressed translated into my lessened depression. this life is like a game. you might have no job at the moment, and you conclude your whole future is doomed but i will beg to differ. how can you tell whats ahead of you? how do you know that next month everything won't be different?

this Life is a test, a trust and a temporary assignment. Ask your maker to change your thoughts to be positive and it will happen gradually. because if you continue having faith that your life is doomed, the object of your faith might be granted. this is serious. please don't speak anything negative about your self and your future based on what you see today. prefer silence to saying something negative. these are laws of the universe.
  14. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

"Pit, i think I got out of depression (slowly but surely) when i took the focus off of myself and started tending to the needs of others around me."

Yes, there is something magical that happens in helping others; I have noticed that.

"making others less depressed translated into my lessened depression."

At age 44, I now go out of my way when the occasion presents. Reason: It is like sort of a complete a selfless moment in time, a moment in which I am giving of my life and my energy to help someone--and it doesn't have to be big.

I use public tranportation, at every opportunity where I can, I help others. I am delighted to givie up my seat far ahead of time when I see a the need. It's all good.

It has occurred on countless occasions--such as in my local grocery store. Should I have cart with many items and there be some guy right behind with a few items he is holding in his arms, I'll insist, "Oh hey, you go on ahead. Please."

On a humorous note, I have actually had go to on and take my turn because I'll look around to see three or four other people just him haved arrived. lol

At my job--even though "it's my job"--I reap great pleasure from going far and above what would be necessary to help a customer find the movie they're looking for.

For doing small things in life, people are at times very much moved and thankful--and they'll tell you that.

"this Life is a test, a trust and a temporary assignment. Ask your maker to change your thoughts to be positive and it will happen gradually. because if you continue having faith that your life is doomed, the object of your faith might be granted."

Yes and on a metaphyiscal level, what one dwells upon most *must* over time because his or her reality.

"prefer silence to saying something negative. these are laws of the universe."

It was a beautiful post, sudut.

15. Wishbone

Wishbone Member

Life is hard. I'm sure everyone will agree. The problem lies with an individual's
    techniques in dealing with problems. It's the luck of the draw. I observed early on that there is a double standard on how you are treated verses the way you are expected to treat others. If you are born with developmental defects you learn early on that people are not very nice to you. Yet you are expected to be decent and respectful to others. That's how it starts. As the years roll you feel the anger and resentment start to eat you alive until you become useless to yourself and others.
    The one who does not have obvious anomalies who can perform in school and on the ballfield, who is not abused at home will naturally have an easer time of it. It begins early in life. Those who are not so lucky should have the benefit of choice to opt out if defeated.
    Opinions welcome.
  16. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

The cruelest, most defining time of my time was when in I was in middle school (then called "Junior High"). When I say "defining," I mean this is when I learned my place in life through others' eyes.

I found it funny that "bullying" is only now coming to light! I was never beaten or anything like that; it was the daily barrage of meanness, being made fun of, and exclusion that taught me: "Kid. You're set for one shitty life."

Oh I agree wholeheartedly.

That's my opinion. LOL, I love that phrase, "opting out" and was already using it with a close friend twenty years ago (he was my one truly close friend who could possibly know the pain).

In fact, I always thought *I* was first to creatively pair the two as a euphemism for suicide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.