Does eating chocolates help deal with depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by nicesinging1, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

I promised to myself I will do everything I can to beat depression. Even if it might be small little things but help relieve depression, I would do it.
    Recently I read an article that said eating chocolate alleviates the pain of depression. So I bought a package of chocolates and ate bunch of them to see if it helps in dealing with depression.
    The end result was that I just couldn't tell. It helps me forget about depression when eating chocolates. But after that, the depression still returns.
    Has anyone tried consuming chocolates to deal with depression? Did it help you at all?

-Hank-

2. Deep Thought

Deep Thought Well-Known Member

there is something in chocolates that is supposed to help with depression, but i'm not sure on how effective it is. the same thing is also found in bananas, but i know which i find more comforting. but i think people eat certain foods more for the 'comfort factor', as some foods are feel good foods. but try not to get to reliant on foods for comfort, as they tend to be unhealthy foods.

hope this has helped, prob not though.

D.T

3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Actually no. It makes me only more depressed cause i have weight problems.
    But try it... maybe they will help you:hug:

4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I've read the same thing about chocolate. I like it and believe that it may help, but I don't eat it in large quantities or I get a stomach ache.:rolleyes: But yes, I do think it is of some help.

5. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Hank,

Kudos on being a sure, shining light, daring to affirm life on a forum whose message at the end of the day is often dark and ambiguous. I especially like your signature! :thumbup:

The previous thinking was that chocolate may be affecting levels of endocannabinoids, which are weakly related to the actions of marijuana, though Dr. John Messmer, writing for The Diet Channel website says, "if you are deeply depressed, chocolate alone is not likely to help. The biochemical process that causes depression is too powerful to be influenced by any food."

I also found a study indicating "Chocolate may make your depression worse!" lol Take a look:

Read the full article on Families.com.

Still not swayed? Behold, comments from a reader posting on About.com: "It’s interesting to know that others have found that chocolate *causes* depression. All the research I have done previously always said that chocolate will only *lift* your mood. I have found that when I eat chocolate, I am revved up and irritable and anxious (to the point where I have trouble breathing because my diaphragm is so tense). I thought anxiety was the only problem I had with chocolate, but I have recently discovered that it also causes me to have a depression that lasts about 3 days. I am just now coming out of a chocolate-iduced depression. I only eat dark chocolate (semi-sweet chocolate chips), so with me, the cause is not milk related."

* * * * *​
    Well personally, I love chocolate, especially with coffee! My best guess is it's the spike in both caffeine and blood-sugar levels that has us fooled. There may also be immediate THC-like effects (in other words, who knows) -- but as we have seen, an antidepressant it is not.

ToHelp

6. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Well, my girfriend got me a chocolate bunny for easter and it made me happy. I hadn't got a chocolate rabbit thing since I was 5 from anyone. I've made a little coffin for it though. I sucked its ears off and now it doesn't have a torso. :sad:

7. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

:dry: :blink: Dude.

Only on SF. :laugh:

8. downnout

downnout Well-Known Member

^my life is making me laugh/cry again

9. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

^ SF is making me cry/laugh again lol, hey Chicaincrisis your name reminds me of that guy that said, Live isn't just one damned thing after another. It's the same damned over and over again.

:sf: but it makes me :loopy::screwloos​

10. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

:hug:

11. Wormling

Wormling Well-Known Member

From my experience, no, eating any type of food does not help alleviate depression. It may take your mind off of things momentarily, but that is all.

And sorry, nice, I wish you luck ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.