Does exercise make you feel happy?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Ranxerox, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Ranxerox

Ranxerox Well-Known Member

Apparently when you exercise, endorphins are released into the bloodstream, and this can help with depression, or something to that effect. So, do you find that exercise makes you feel happier? If im feeling like shit and i go to gym, afterwards i feel alot better about myself, and negative thoughts dont affect me as much. Anyone else experience something similar?

2. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

Normal no.

I have had sport addiction which were pretty bad. I process my pain by sporting too much on that time.

But no, it feels like shyt before it, in it and after it.

(except when I dance but that is not sport for me).

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It definitely improves my mood when I do a workout, but it doesn't last long. So I've learned to do my workouts nearer the end of the day when I tend to get saddest.

4. lonercarrot

lonercarrot Well-Known Member

Working out makes me feel like I'm improving myself, so I feel really good while I do it, yes.

5. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

nope...but I love waking on the beach/cornash

6. LivingOn

LivingOn Well-Known Member

Yes, for a while.

7. HiddenTears

HiddenTears Well-Known Member

It doesn't make me happy but it keeps my mind busy. I have found that when I'm active I'm less likely to be thinking about suicide so I push myself to stay busy. Unfortunatly I am at the point where I workout 3 hours a day, box, run, and play sports... I've been told I'm in great shape but it's never good enough for me. It's only a side effect to the real reason I workout. I won't ever be happy...

8. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

Yea for a while as well.

9. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I reached a point about two years ago where I lost all ability to come out of my depressions. I went through medication adjustments, I changed my living circumstances drastically and even had ECT in the fall of 2008. I had very little relief from any of these steps and whatever relief I felt was short lived.

About fourteen months ago I began running five miles (8km) four or five nights a week after reading about exercise being more effective than SSRI antidepressants. I am no longer at the mercy of depression and it is now much less of a burden than my OCD or generalized anxiety.

Exercise does give me a much better quality of life but this running program of mine is tough to stick to.

10. rocknrollsuicide

rocknrollsuicide Well-Known Member

It reduces me to the level of a zero energy battery, no power at all therefore I don't even have the energy to be depressed.
    What cheers me up though - if only temporarily - about going to the gym, is the jacuzzi time after all the work out, steam, sauna and swim.
    That is something I long for at the end of my workout and I absolutely adore it!
    I wish I was a millionaire, able to afford to have my own private jacuzzi.
    I would get into my jacuzzi every single day to make me happy and relaxed, truly brilliant!

11. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I don't know if this has any connection... but the anti-depressant pills that are supposed to release those kind of chemicals in the brain never worked from me. Am I getting it wrong? There are some anti-depressants that release endorphins right? Or is it only serotonin? Anyway, those pills never worked for me. Only the downers have ever worked (unprescribed). Alcohol & pain-killers. The only two drugs that have ever worked for me.

Anyway, when I exercise, I'm not sure it's the endorphins that make me feel better. Actually, I hate exercising. The only thing that makes me feel good about it, is how tired I am afterward. I have high anxiety, so if I've been exercising for a while, my body just doesn't have the energy to lend itself to panic attacks. That's why I think it is effective for me.

But most people probably do benefit from the release of endorphins. Especially for shut-ins/people with social anxiety that never do get any exercise. With depression, it can be very hard to muster up the courage/motivation to go to a gym or even just to get out of bed. But from what I've heard, most people feel better afterward. So, as much as it pains me to agree with the millions of doctors I've seen that claim to have all the answers like they've got their own fucking religion... exercise really can help the majority of people feel better I believe.

:heart:

12. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

No I just played 2 hours of ratchet ball and I feel worse than when I started.

13. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Not while I'm doing it, but afterwards I feel like I've accomplished something and I feel freakin great! It's the weirdest thing.
    My mood was so elevated today just from being in the gym for 45 minutes.

14. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Yeah,it definitely does! :)

15. savetoniqht

savetoniqht Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I love running to begin with so it definitely cheers me up, but I absolutely believe the whole endorphins thing. I have a lot of friends who say it's bs, but I always feel so refreshed and way more awake and happy afterwards.

16. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it makes me happy, but it does seem to lift a weight off my shoulders and give me a feeling of accomplishment. I run 3 times a week and train in Muay Thai 2 times a week. That is unless I am going through a particularly bad depressive patch.

17. plates

plates Well-Known Member

the best medication is exercise and a good diet no joke. and sleep. it's so simple and even my nurses said i was doign everything right when i was in hospital i said i need to eat and sleep and run. and i did. and i got better. they thought it was a miracle it's just, i dunno, it's something i knew would help me. cos i just know. then again i haven't managed to go out to run cos.....i seem to get feeling physically tired and a virus hanging around my ears, and the thing is, you have to eat properly to run. otherwise, it's not fun.

18. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I use to dance at home a lot. It helped to keep me even but it did not make me happy. The only thing that brought me up was a crisis. I called myself a crisis junkie.

My knee keeps me from dancing anymore. I have a health rider and even tho the doctor says not to use it, I use it. I exercise gently, drawing in my breath deeply, and stretching. My goal is to keep the muscles toned.

The one thing I can say about exercising, is it can help to keep me from going too far down, but without my meds is wouldn't work that way for me.

19. EmptyLife

EmptyLife Well-Known Member

no. exercise never helps me, though i keep doing it because you're supposed to. no one believes me, either. they prefer to think i don't do it enough, or at a great enough intensity. i do. it doesn't help my depression one iota.

20. FBD

FBD Well-Known Member

For me, exercise definitely helps, when you go for a run and you just run until your legs give out, you end in such a wonderful state, you enter a zone where nothing can hurt you nothing can stop you...