Does Having A Soulmate Prevent Suicide?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Winslow, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Does having a soulmate prevent suicide? In most cases,I think it would. After all, it was after my soulmate, Teresa, died from Proteus disease that I fell into despondency. But thanks to this forum, I keep a stiff upper lip while I work at finding a new soulmate.

As a devoted soulmate can literally be a life-saver, maybe this forum should help find compatible soulmates.

Although I have friends I meet in-person, but it does not have the depth which is found in a soulmate.

So are any of you game to this idea of matchmaking? It would be different from other matchmaking sites because our kind of matchmaking is intended for dysfunctional people.
  2. dreamachine

dreamachine Active Member

Thats a fine theory, but a "soulmate" wouldn't help prevent most suicides, I think. In fact, if you felt that bad after you lost your soulmate.. maybe it can make things even worse since relationships can end up very bad, no matter how much in love they were.

That being said, I think I would like to be in a relationship with someone who is "disfunctional." I have never known anyone that I can deeply express my suicidal/depressed/etc feelings with and it would be nice to have someone I can do that with and they relate all the same. So I think you are on a good idea.
  3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I can see where you're coming from; but having a soulmate doesn't necessarily prevent suicidal thoughts. It depends on what the cause for those thoughts and feelings is. A soulmate can (hopefully) be someone you're able to share all your thoughts and feelings with, but having one doesn't always mean those thoughts will go away.
  4. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

To an extent, Wild Cherry, your point is valid. That's why I made it clear that it does not apply in all cases but in most cases. My feeling of optimism concerning the presence of a soulmate is admittedly colored by my own personal experience, which I found fruitful. It's just her death which spoiled it all.

If Teresa still lived, I would not need this forum at all. Teresa had Proteus disease, a tumorous condition, which left her with sores all over her body, including part of her face, which made her facially-deformed. Well, not her whole face, because one side was normal, so if I looked at her profile, I would see her as a normal lady.

But her deformities did Not matter to me, since I was forced to look at her Inner person, which, after all, is what really matters in the long run. And Teresa's inner-person was so inspirational in that she hardly ever complained.

That's why I look for a New soulmate with a similar disability, as it's those qualities from Teresa which made the relationship a happy one.
  5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I'm so sorry about what happened to Teresa. But you're right; it's how the person is on the inside that really counts. I'm visually impaired, and so I've always gotten to know people for who they really are instead of what they look like.
  6. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

i guess it's a matter of opinion, but i think i'd be worse off with one :dry:

nothing good happens when you get married
  7. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I've heard from those who lost them that their soulmate kept them going. And, I think it makes sense. Almost every therapist I've had (and there have been many) suggested that having someone close in one's life is beneficial, and I've always felt better when in that situation. Totally open to your suggestion; in fact, I think I've come close here a couple of times to finding one.
  8. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

well soul mate is a very strong word, but i think having anyone you care unconditionally for will prevent suicide as you dotn want to cause harm, emotional or otherwise, to them by your passing.
  9. katy101

katy101 Active Member

Does Having A Soulmate Prevent Suicide?
    It depends on the person, in a way it seems like it would
    because you have someone who loves you unconditionally and you have a connection with, which would want you to stay alive
    but if you hate your own soul so much even a soul mate cant help u
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.