Does hospital admission help you?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by kel2588, Mar 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kel2588

kel2588 Member

Personally, it doesn't help me. It is more about containment than getting treatment (which is what I want/need). Just interested to hear other people's thoughts. I've written a blog post on it >> http://lifeandothermusings2014.blogspot.co.uk
    I think for some people, it can be the break they need from day-to-day life to put themselves first?

2. Liquid Jello

Liquid Jello Well-Known Member

have been hospitalized a fair number of times in the past, tho not recently, and thankfully so. basically hate being hospitalized and have most often been there for containment, as u said. have typically not found pysch units environments to be all that therapeutic in and of themselves in general, and actually some are frankly quite dysfunctional in terms of staff, in regards to interactions with both patients as well as fellow staff members, from what I've observed anyway. nonetheless, sometimes hospitalization at least can serve the purpose of providing safety when you're not able to guarantee that by urself.

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

The admission into the hospital is not really meant for treatment. Short term critical care ( the typical 3 day or 7 day type stay) is meant for exactly what you got from it - a place to be kept safe until stabilized to point of not an imminent threat. While some basic counselling or therapy is done, and it is common to start medications or change them - there is no way to treat depression or any other mental illness in a few days (if only it were that simple like a surgery stay in a hospital where they fix it and you go home and are cured). But it does interrupt the daily routine that resulted in the admission, and give a chance for a rudimentary treatment plan, but most will find they concentrate on a safety plan and safety contracts even more than treatment plans.

I believe that is why many say that hospitalization does not work - a lack of understanding of the intent of a short term crisis type stay. Therapy and counseling is a months or even years long process - and medications take weeks to have the full effect. While people would like to go and have everything "cured" in a week that is not in any way realistic. Long term success against mental illness takes long term effort and more often than not will require changes to lifestyle, routine, and even environment - all things that cannot be managed in any way while inpatient. The expectation to make any significant progress in such a short time is certain to meet with disappointment. If the patient has not committed suicide a month later then to be honest it is actually clear evidence that they were correct in the discharge assessment of not being imminent danger to self.

The failure of the system to set up proper follow up care and actual treatment programs on release is a different story entirely. While that is often times dictated in part by capacities and lack of services and providers in some countries, and lack of ability to pay for or even arrange transportation or time for in others, a good follow up plan is the minimum that one should expect on discharge. If a person as a patient wants to do one thing to get benefit from an inpatient stay for themselves, it would be to advocate strongly for and participate actively in setting up the discharge plan which may have the possibility for actually treating and dealing with the problems that caused them to be inpatient to begin with. Sadly, in the hurry to leave the less than comfortable accommodations and routine of the hospital, patients will often simply say "yes yes sounds good" to any plan in their hurry to look cooperative and get an earlier release. And some hospitals and providers simply go along with that when they should know that it has not served the best interests of the patient.

4. iicookieii

iicookieii Active Member

I hated being admitted into hospitals. In-patient care is the worse, and the only thing it made me feel was more anxiety and stress. I could understand how it would be used to ensure that you couldn't harm yourself for the duration, but the amount of powertripping, hostility, disrespect of personal items, lack of care in general... it honestly makes me fearful of ever telling anyone I'm feeling suicidal because I don't want to be sent back there again.

5. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

And a waste of money, probably. The short-term general hospital behavior ward admissions are often extended to people who do not have the $150 per hour that a therapist costs. We have a good, relatively pleasant hospital in my town. I went there early last year. The tab was $23,000 for 9 days. I couldn't pay it, so they had to settle for $700.

But no follow-up, lots of public money down the drain, and so on, on behalf of marginal people whom the "high quality" have pretty much written off as a loss. No wonder the Tea Party wants to pull the plug.

The hospital hasn't helped me any. That's not their fault; they tried. But they really need to start refusing admission to repeat customers whom their practitioners determine to be malingering. Such as me. Unfortunately, current laws require emergency rooms to assess suicide probability in an extremely cautious manner, so that people who really present very little threat of it must be admitted anyway, just to cover the bases. The legislatures can help them by blocking the lawsuits over the rare cases of harm or suicide that result from a policy of limited access.

What would help me most would be to get kicked out into the street and told to earn a living. Period.

6. Kaish

Kaish Well-Known Member

I have been hospitalised twice and have actually found them both useful, but I think a huge part of it is where you go. Before my suicide attempt I was placed in a hospital that was horrible. It felt every sense like that 50's hospital where they lock you away and perform electroshocks on you. Upon intake I was shown the padded room and told I'd be placed in there if I act out. During the night, staff would check on us every five minutes. I was feeling so scared that I covered myself with the blanket and was crying. The person who came to check shined the flashlight in my eyes to make sure I was physically okay and then left.

I left that hospital after spending one night there. I couldn't take it. Months later I attempted suicide and was admitted into another hospital. I cannot describe how different it was. The staff was caring, took an interest in me, and encouraged me. We did learn techniques to better handle stress which I think was more eye opening than anything. I just remember going there feeling like I can't face the world to then leaving feeling I could. They also had an outpatient program that I took part in starting the day after I was discharged from inpatient. It was more to reinforce the coping techniques and provide help while you were able to still live in the 'outside world'.

I later returned to the same hospital after making a death threat against my abuser. I went unwillingly (had I not agreed I would've been placed somewhere else involuntary). I was very angry this time around, but the staff was still respectful of me, some of them remembered me and were happy to see me (as much as you can for it being the hospital). What I remember most about that stay was talking to one of the nurses privately about all the anger I had towards my abuser. I told her how I felt the urge to smash a chair through the window. To my surprise, she was calm and understanding. She told me I have a right to feel the way I did. I can't remember everything she said, but I remember ending that conversation feeling like someone understood.

Anyway, sorry for making it so long. I guess it truly has to do with where you are placed. I remain thankful to the hospital that treated me so well and honestly have not trusted another one since. Sadly I think good care is hard to come by.

7. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

Thank you, Kaish. Your post makes me realize how negative I can be. You did acknowledge truthfully that quality of institutions varies greatly, with some real hellholes out there. But you still said both places had helped you in some way.

I realize I need to give up on faux cynicism I express just to look jaded or whatever. I've had the use of my body and mind, miraculous gifts I could never create myself. Hospitals have helped me, although I need to learn how to live without relying on them as management tool. At least quitting drinking and smoking have helped--I haven't returned for 14 months and credit the last hospital for motivating this change. They had also taught stress reduction. Maybe it's the only good thing it did since don't use time productively. It's still a start.

Again, thanks. ~ :butterfly4:

8. mandy

mandy Well-Known Member

Psych ward didn't help me. It kept me from doing anything but the psychiatrist was awful. I did meet some nice people who changed my view on things though. It was a juvenile ward though not adult so we kinda just watched tv and colored haha

9. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

When I was in high school I spent a month in the hospital and got out only cuz mom wanted me to be with family on christmas I missed out as was in during thanksgiving. Staff and psych doc said I wasnt ready to be discharged.

The hospital didnt figure out that antidepressant s were making me more aggressive n poor impulse control thrown in with staff who pushed my butttons. Was a specific staff I ended up losing my cool with.

I quit cold turkey on med the day I was discharged n not had issue for over 10 years. Now I look back and say the hospital stay was quite something I needed at the time.

10. Isaak

Isaak Active Member

Hospitalization varies in its quality depending on one's insurance plans, the facility, funding, etc. Furthermore, "hospitalization" is a somewhat ambiguous term-- that could mean an emergency 72-hour hold in the ER/Psych ER (a 5150 in California), or ostensibly therapeutic inpatient care for more than 7 days.

I went to an urgent care center on my last legs, suicidal but not irrational or psychotic, suffering from severe depression and the symptoms of C-PTSD, and I specified the help I needed-- stabilization is quid pro quo, but aiso actual first steps toward treatment, scheduling after-care, and outlining a treatment plan. I am a very knowledgeable, sincere, and compliant patient articulating a well-reasoned, realistic request for the urgent and foundational treatments in what I expected and understood to be a long, recursive psychotherapy process.

It was heartbreaking to see that in CA, for those of us without insurance (though more broadly, this is an endemic problem in the US, affecting those with insurance as well), even a voluntary visit and an insistent request for inpatient care (which will likely be turned into an involuntary stay-- 3 Day Holds, 7 Day Holds, 14 Day Holds, 30 Day Holds written out as if you're an unstable lunatic) pretty much means you'll be thrown into a Short-Doyle contracted "hospital" that is basically a low-security prison for schizophrenic hobos and violently unstable youth and ignored while the facility gets its payout from the county so long as your ass is in bed.

And should you dare to ask if perhaps there's something more that could be done for you-- maybe even a transfer to a different kind of care-- the "caring social worker" becomes absurdly hostile and directs you to the payphone out in the hall-- from there on out, you will not be seen or advised in any way until your hearing. It was surreal.

If you are competent/stable enough to "win" at your hearing (wherein the social worker/therapist/psych staffer will use your own words to paint you as a risk that must be contained), you can forget about aftercare-- they were shoving me out the door so fast that I barely had time to change into my clothes. They almost kept my iPad. And they short-changed me on bus-fare. The message was a clear F*ck Off.

11. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

I was only there for like 2 days, and I fucking hated it. Yeah, I freaking OD'd, but I wasn't trying to kill myself, yet they still decided to count it as that anyway. I took a bunch of benzos and muscle relaxers because I was literally on the verge of having a severe breakdown/panic attack at the time, and I just wanted to get really, really high to not feel what I was feeling. I knew there was no way what I took was going to kill me, but apparently I did black out for a while, so like I said they still counted it as an attempt and I was stuck there freaking the fuck out, not having the freedom to even take a piss without someone standing over me, and it was completely unnecessary.

12. BipolarOne

BipolarOne Active Member

I have had hospitalizations in the past that were very helpful, and I really needed to be there at the time.

I was able to remain hospital-free for at least 4 years. Then in May of this year, and again in June, I ended up in two different hospitals. I was shocked at how much psych hospitals have deteriorated in quality of care. Both times they exacerbated my depression and anxiety, and triggered so much anger in me. I was a lot worse being in the hospital than I was just before going in.

Psych care certainly needs reform. Where once it was caring and helpful, it is now damaging. I hope you are able to stay out the hospital. I am working on that goal myself.

13. Invisible Child

Invisible Child Antiquities Friend

My person view.... being hospitalized for just a few days is pointless. All they really do is put your on meds that keep you so loopy you don't know if you are coming or going. It's almost like a let down, while there you had so many to talk to then you come home and you are right back to where you were before.

14. DarkLordVader

DarkLordVader Well-Known Member

maybe instead of having a negative outlook maybe get involved in a treatment program....

15. JustAnotherNumber

JustAnotherNumber New Member

It didn't work for me, been admitted 3 times in the past few months kept attempting suicide. I guess it could help people who want to live but I really don't see how it could help someone who wants to die. In order to get better you have to take actions, you have to change, and it takes work. How you can motivate someone who wants to kill themselves I cannot fathom. I really do wish I could say otherwise, but there's no solid cure for depression or other mental illnesses yet. 100 years from now people will look back and say, holy fuck we actually did that? Who the fuck treats someone with bipolar disorder with a mineral, Lithium for example. It's primitive at least. And the only motivation for people to offer treatment is MONEY, at least in the USA, fucking ridiculous. We won't get a cure because of other peoples greed. Why cure it when you can treat it for a lifetime? That's insane on a business standpoint.

16. shadowonthewall

shadowonthewall Well-Known Member

I have been hospitalised once. I do not agree in principle with detaining people 'for their own good'. I think that such a practice makes slaves of us. I just gave them the answers that they wanted to hear, and my behaviour was completely normal.

17. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Changing my answer. Hell no they dont help when you did nothing wrong and is holding you hostage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.