does it get better? easier?

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by Nemo, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I was sexually abused from before I can remember, and raped when I was 10.
    I don't think I really knew how wrong it was until I was raped and had to make it stop.
    He was someone in my family which adds so much more to my shame.
    I've never actually spoken about it to anyone, but I'm nearly 23 and it has affected every relationship I've every been in and I still get flashbacks and nightmares and feel sick whenever I think about it.
    I just want to know if it gets better. If somehow I can move past all this without going through the whole 'acceptance' phase I see people go through on TV, having to talk about it. Especially with my friends and family. They can't know. Even if it would help my recovery.

I just need to know if I can get past this? Someone tell me it's possible!

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You do not have to talk to family but you need to talk to a professional ok a councilor a therapist someone that can help you heal it can get better it can but with the right help support in place for you

3. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I have a really hard time talking about everything, I can't imagine where to start with that.
    If I ask my Doctor to refer me will I have to explain why? And if I do start to talk to someone, will I have to talk about it straight away? I don't know how therapists work, but I don't think i'd be able to share that right away.

Thanks for the reply x

4. l3amaangel

l3amaangel New Member

Nemo, When you talk to a therapist you dont have to start off with that you can wait till you are comfortable with them. :)

5. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

thanks 13amaangel
    It just seems so daunting

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.