does it matter?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by stella26, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stella26

stella26 New Member

Does anything really matter anymore? I mean what's the point. We are all going to be gone in the end. am I looking at this wrong. I'm sure everyone feels this way but does it go away? how can you look at the good when you are surrounded by unchanging bad? how do you change the bad to good yourself? why does it have to feels this way? so lost and done as if nothing is important cuz when you think about it< nothing is. the world is a crazy place and i dont understand when the bad goes away. why are some people lucky? why are some people not? I have some good things but when i actually look at them they mean nothing. people say they care but do they really ? how do you really know? how can you really trust? I cant rely on my gut feeling. i need to know the truth sometimes and its impossible so i give up. why try anymore.

2. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I think there are only two things that matter in the world: yourself and the people you love. You have to be able to trust the people you love, but you can't just love anybody. Love and trust have to be earned. Don't accept hollow words, make them prove that they care. The world isn't fair and it never has been, nor will it ever be. It's always been crazy and filled with more pain than good. The only way I can see to make life worth living is to block out or avoid everything bad and to surround yourself with only that which is good in your eyes. The rest of the world be damned. The world is too big, too evil, too chaotic for you to even begin trying to care about everything and everyone. Most of the world can fuck off as far as I'm concerned. I'm only interested in finding that which is already good, or at least the things that are good in my eyes. Goodness is oftentimes in the eye of the beholder. Changing the bad to good is too much work though, especially when it comes to people. You can't change people. I have tried to change others, and others have tried to change me. It doesn't work. You can only change yourself, or I should say certain aspects of yourself, because some things cannot be changed. What you need is "the serenity to accept the things you cannot change, the courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference." In addition, you need to learn to avoid the bad and to seek out the good. It's a difficult process. I am slowly learning how to avoid things and people that are a negative influence in my life, but still having a hard time finding positive things, as they are a bit of a rarer find in this world.

3. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

I wonder if there is a 'truth'...what I think is more important for each of us to know is what is best for us to live in this world...yes, some ppl have considerably harder lives than others, and yes, life is not fair, but how do we do our best to maximize our stay here? For me, it was finding the right therapist and feeling brave enough to look at myself...it is different for others, but I think the most important thing is to find what works for you so that all things around you do not feel so oppressive...welcome and thank you for sharing

4. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hi Stella and welcome to SF. I think you are raising some important philosophical and existential questions here. Why should we continue living when there is so much bad stuff in the world? The answer to me is that together, we can make the world a better place for all of us. I agree that there are a lot of selfish, greedy and awful people in the world, but there are also many good people out there too. It isn't possible to change the world overnight, but small steps can make the world of difference. If you're looking for the 'Truth' then you have to meditate and find the truth within yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.