does it really "get better"

WhiteRice

I have been not doing anything since I lost my job due to Covid during training. It was heartbreaking to say the least and I felt really discouraged since i was 21 and never had a job and now almost 22 and still not doing anything in life. It is hard to find a job to even a minimum wage job during an economic crisis. I couldn't even find a job and i spend hundreds of hours getting one. I am honestly thinking the only way i can make money at this point is being one of those shady youtuber's who manipulate the algorithm so naive kids that don't know any better watch and usually has bad intent. I have no respect for people who use an audience like just so they can get some trendy clothing, jewelry or whatever they want to "flex".

I am honestly pretty hard on myself I was born sightly autistic and because of this I would always call myself a retard, sperg, mong or whatever sort of really offensive word to call myself stupid and I still do to this day. I have huge doubts in my intellect and honestly my negativity has gotten worse to the point where I literally thought that I would be 40 years old and my parents are near if not dead while shitting myself living at another persons house being a waste of space. I honestly think if I killed myself the world would be a better place so that one person doesn't have to view negativity and was wasting it's resources.

I honestly think i could never achieve anything in life because I really do believe that no matter how much hard work I put into something I will always fail. Even if I spent hundreds if not thousands of hours practicing a skill I would still be below average even if that skill is something anyone can do easily. Think about it If I couldn't even get a job at working a minimum wage job as a wallgreens cashier (that I had to get a special ed program to do btw that wasted even more time) getting paid twice as less as some other countries minimum wage. What makes you think that I can be a worthy human being in life.

idk if people are going to read this but if you do pls let me know If i can really get better at anything.

LukaRedgrave

On Satur(n)days we used to sleep
I feel you, and i quite relate to some of the things you're pointing out. I've been feeling really discouraged at my job these past days and i just wonder if it's worth it.

To answer your question, i hate it when people simply say "it gets better" "it will get better" "everything is gonna be alright" like: how do they know? what guarantee do i have? It's the equivalent of "thoughts and prayers" for depressed people: it does nothing and really doesnt help, because it makes you feel they're simply copy-pastying a comment they've told other people without even believing what they say themselves. No: you can't 100% promise me for real that everything will get better, your empty promises aren't helping.

/rant

Waves

This is so compelling white rice. How the economy and workforce affects your ad our mental health. It is source of survival and pride and hope and identity.

Jane65

I agree with @VioletDawn everything changes eventually. But will it be better I don't know. What I do know is that nearly always there are small things i can do right now that will make me feel a tiny bit better. It may only be a tiny bit better but I will take that over feeling worse. I've been unable to work for 2yrs now. It's really knocked my self esteem.
I do believe we can all achieve a sense of worth that is not tied to work. Society places that huge pressure on us but its not all there is. In my opinion how we treat other people is a better way of trying to evaluate self worth.
I hope this hasn't been so much about me that you don't feel heard. I felt pulled to reply because I really feel for you.
Jane

WhiteRice

I feel you, and i quite relate to some of the things you're pointing out. I've been feeling really discouraged at my job these past days and i just wonder if it's worth it.

To answer your question, i hate it when people simply say "it gets better" "it will get better" "everything is gonna be alright" like: how do they know? what guarantee do i have? It's the equivalent of "thoughts and prayers" for depressed people: it does nothing and really doesnt help, because it makes you feel they're simply copy-pastying a comment they've told other people without even believing what they say themselves. No: you can't 100% promise me for real that everything will get better, your empty promises aren't helping.

/rant
Well I like how you answered that honestly. I want to actually do something with my life, but I feel like I am so discouraged to do anything because of how much I failed. Maybe I cannot learn from my mistakes but I just dont think I have the ability to learn.

pls let me know If i can really get better at anything.
Can you get better? Probably yes. There's quite a few stories by members who would have never though it a million years that their lives would get better, but they did. There's no guarantees, but if you make a good plan, get a little help, and work toward a goal, it's very likely that you'll be better off than you are now.

I can try to give you some specific advice if you'd like.

I hope things can get better soon.

Velveteen Bunny

I love YouTube. I was hoping that I could some day have a good channel and produce content that people would find useful and that I could make money doing something that aligns with my ethics. But first, I lived in a very noisy place and couldn't do anything about it. Now, I not only live in another noisy place, but I have very little privacy and not much time to myself, except at night when everyone else is asleep. It makes me really angry. I have so many great ideas on making money and using my talents, even if it's not much, it would still be something. I can't do any of it though, because I have to take care of my mom and her house is full of freeloaders who won't move out.

I hope that you can find something worthwhile to do, even if you don't make any money, it will still help with your self-respect and esteem. I would do something you know you are good at, and then the deck will be stacked more in your favor.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00