Does it seem like some people don't get depressed?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by DannyBoy, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

It bothers me when I have to deal with depression and anxiety.

I have this friend that doesn't do jack shit. He's been living at home as an agorophobic for like 10 years. He just gets on the internet, games, and sleeps. His social contact is limited to talking to his parents maybe once a day.

Yet I'd say the person is not severely depressed at all, maybe only mildly with some anxiety issues.

Can someone explain this phenomenon?

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Yeah. He's not got the genetics or whatever that incline people to depression.

There's plenty of social contact to be had on the internet, for another thing. I've gone literally months without face-to-face conversations (living alone, no parents) and it doesn't bother me at all, he's probably the same in being able to get by with very little contact.

Beyond that, why do you think he should be depressed?

3. DannyBoy

Well he has everything to be depressed about.

No future, no girlfriend, no income, no life.

Yet I'm pretty envious of the fact he can get by just fine.

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

1) He obviously lacks ambition; those without ambition don't care much about those things.
    2) What does that mean, "no life"? Do you mean that his social life is not very extensive? Again, he's got less need of it than you or most people, and probably has a satisfactory social life to himself. There are people who are actual hermits who isolate themselves completely, including from internet contact.
    3) Sex drive is not, in fact, universal. Most of the interest in sex and relationships is, I suspect, social rather than physical in nature.
    4) It's apparent his income matches his expenditures, and it therefore is sufficient.

Everyone has different needs. Depression usually comes about when they're not filled. But since they're all different, the requirements for fulfilling them are all different, so depression occurs differently for everyone.

Er, here's a question for you: how do you know him? Is his social life more extensive than you're letting on?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2010
  5. DannyBoy

I understand that, but what I wonder is how some people can be satisfied with next to nothing, while others are driven to have everything and if they don't they commit suicide.

You know what I'm saying? Why one person's ambitions are higher than another.

Me I don't really have any ambition at all yet I'm still depressed.

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, shortage of ambition is an effect of depression... I don't know how to explain the difference in drives of people. I guess a lot of it is in how you're raised. If you're always encouraged to be the best at whatever you do, you might find some trouble matching that. You can change your needs in some regards, though. It's a major goal of Buddhists to stop desire.

One thing about human nature is that everything is compared to the baseline: a raise is valuable, a high salary is not. Part of Epicurean philosophy (a form of hedonism, focusing on pleasure) is to keep the baseline low so that satisfaction is easy: "cheese is a luxury if you only eat bread". Your friend's baseline is probably extremely low compared to the average person, so something as simple as a new WoW patch or something similar might be a major reward to him.

7. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

DannyBoy, I don't know a single person who I believe shouldn't be depressed. I look at all my friends' lives, and I can't understand why they aren't depressed, or at least unhappy with their lives.

I agree with aoeu that there must be a genetic factor which makes some people more prone to depression.

Mim

8. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like me to a T.:eek:hmy: I sound like your friend a bit, man am I ever so depressed but I get even more so just being around any people or when I leave the house, as I am now it's a little more bearable though it can't go on forever,:mhmm: perhaps your friend is like that, alone he's somewhat okay, with others is when he really gets bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.