Does life need a meaning?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Ziggy, Mar 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

A lot of people on this forum talk about the meaning of life, and wonder what the point or purpose of it all is. But why?

If you look at other living things, cats, trees, bacteria etc. then these things simply exist, and so I simply exist. If life is shit then it doesn't need a meaning or purpose, it just needs to be made less shit. Whether this is acheivable or not is a different matter and I guess in the end it just boils down to the question "can life be endured and is it worth it?" (Personally I think it will be worth it but that's just me trying to be optimistic)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2007
  2. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I"m sure life has a meaning, and that my life has meaning as well... and I've been trying for 55 yrs to figure out what that meaning is...:blink: :unsure:

least

3. Ziggy

Personally I think the whole purpose and meaning thing is just completely pointless.

For example if you say "the purpose of a chicken is to lay eggs" or the "purpose of a tree is to provide us with wood" then that's really sad. You really limit what they are, a tree is a tree, and a chicken is a chicken.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2007
  4. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

Strictly, it's to reproduce. To procreate. To continue your lineage. All other aspects of life are to support that single purpose, be it happiness, love, fun, friends etc.

5. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

reproduction is something you can do in life or maybe its a achievement but its doesnt explain the meaing of life. That would be the same as saying the point of life is to eat or breath, those are just things we do in life they are not the point purpose or meaning.

The sad, sad truth I think is that life has no special meaning, it just happens naturaly under certain circumstances. Like for example assuming matter already exist certain elements meet in space and combine creating nature. through nature a process happens randomly with out a purpose and its called life.l

Id really like to know the purpose of life in the universe, why does nature create life? Is it a pointless process?

What could we do that nature couldnt do itself?

As far as I know life is meaningless it just exist because it popped up from nature for no reason and after you die you cease to exist and thats the end.period. :( :( :( :(

Lets say a god existed. We still wouldnt have a purpose, life would still have no meaning. If we lived to be servants of a god that would be no different than living to reproduce, theyre both pointless endless tasks.

6. Jawa

Jawa Guest

Saying it's a pointless question, well I could say learning Shakespearian Poetry at school is a pretty pointless thing for someone who is going to be a plumber. Yet at the same time it teaches the person to look for a deeper meaning behind things, and appreciate some great peices of work someone has put a lifetime of effort into. My point is, people ask these questions when they are unsure of the meaning behind actions in their day-to day lives. Asking questions like these are part of a person's jouney towards self-discovery and fulfillment. For a person to have a meaning to their life provides great motivation towards achieving in life. To say there is no meaning and to just ''get on with life'' is a pretty depressing outlook, because it doesn't make your actions seem as worthwhile in the long-run.

Newflash - you don't have to prove these types of personal questions, neither do other people have to agree with your viewpoint. For some people, the meaning of their life is to learn lessons so that when they die they can go to Heaven. For others it may be to find the good in humanity. Everyone is going to have a slightly different viewpoint on why we exist, but seeing the world through rose-tinted glasses is better I believe than feeling like life is pointless.

If you believe there is a meaning to your life, hold on to that, don't let anyone take that away from you. No one can prove nor disprove the existance of God, or why we are here in existance. Whatever provokes some noble aspirations in us, I say is a good thing and should be treasured.

So yes, I say we do need a meaning behind our actions. If we didn't everything would be pretty pointless wouldn't it? I'd rather live a meaningful, successful life than feel so insignificant and unmotivated that I have no drive or motivation.

As for being a slave to a God, that is speaking out on ignorance. The Bible has been edited many times, and if you sift through all the crap added to it and all the weird cutting and pasting. You'll find that the Bible is emphasizing that a person's purpose in life is to help humanity, live a good honest life, have children, and to find Heaven (a state of mind/peace, Christianity origionally believed in reincarnation, not an afterlife). Hell is actually a place on Earth (a pit of fire) people were thrown into if they disobeyed the laws of society in Jerusalem. The description of Hell was only changed when Christianity was more widely worshipped. The Bible is saying that their God has a purpose for each individual, and gives them the opportunities and resources to live a happy life, and that the Ten Commandments are a good way to go about achieving this. God is not supposed to be this guy who wants you to be his slave, he is supposed to be a guide who helps you find a peaceful state of mind/lead a happy life.

For the record, I'm not Christian, I just like reading up on Religion. :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  7. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

The meaning of life differs probably from person to person. One person wants to live it to the fullest, another wants to procreate, have a family, help other people, save the world etc. I don't know if I believe in a meaning to life. I don't know what my meaning is. I simply just exist and things happen, some good, others bad. The bad tends to outweigh the good but no one ever said life was easy.

I think everyone is here for a reason, some may seek their whole life looking for the reason without even realising but just their presence in itself can count a lot for some people, probably more than they realise. This site for example, the people on it. Many don't know why they're alive, don't know why they bother but their presence on this site alone counts a lot for other people, providing support maybe friendships etc. It probably means a lot more than they realise.

8. Ziggy

No, it's simply an outlook, to you it's depressing but to me it isn't. The assumption seems to be that by saying that life is pointless and has no meaning is a bad thing. I never suggested that. My actual point was that living things such as cats, trees, chickens etc, are good simply because they exist. The fact that they just 'get on with life' isn't depressing, it's great.

Plants depend on animals, animals depend on plants, humans depend on them and they depend on us. Even the bacteria in your body depend on you and you depend on them. Whether you like it or not you are a part of the larger scheme of things called life, which I believe to be entirely accidental and without purpose or meaning. Whether you see that as amazing or depressing is up to you.

9. Ziggy

Exactly. I could ask should we own a car? Now for me owning a car is completely pointless, there is a good bus service near my house and I can cycle to work.

That's my situation, I don't think people should have a go at me because they don't own a bike, or live 30 miles from work, or have a large family they need to transport around.

10. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

Eating and breathing are to support your ability to reproduce. The foundation of meaning to everything is to help you reproduce. To pass on your genetic information to your progeny.

11. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I have been trying to figure it out as well. Not for as many years, but for quite a lot of my life.. Still haven't much of a clue when it comes to much of anything anymore.

12. Jawa

Jawa Guest

You said that I am part of a large scheme, and that life is amazing, and that creatures are dependant upon you, and you one them. There you go, you just defined for yourself a meaning you believe behind your existance.

13. Ziggy

The word 'scheme' was probably misleading, let's call them "a chain of random events". Everything else was just stating a fact like "I live in England, I think it's an amazing place and I own a cat which needs to be fed". Not really defining meaning I don't think.

Honestly I'm just stating my opinion here, it doesn't actually matter that much if I am right or wrong. If people have meaning and purpose then they have that as well, it's an added bonus, it's the icing on the cake, I'm not trying to take that away from them, I'm just saying there is a cake as well as the icing.

Anyway, on a completely different note, looking at the story of Adam and Eve, why was Eve created? Because "The Lord God said 'it is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him". Why did Adam need a helper? "The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it."

So the original purpose of Adam and Eve may have been simply to take care of the Garden of Eden and all of the plants and animals in it. Interesting thought, not one I believe myself but it's always good to try and see things from a different perspective.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  14. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

procreate is something You can do it life it is not a purpose or a meaning!!!!! It is a pointless process. Humans will one day be completely extinct and then all the procreation we did wont mean shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.