Does listening to the stories of those left behind help others?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Unwilling, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unwilling

Unwilling Member

It almost seems depressing in itself, but for me it seems to help. I wonder if anyone else does it too. Often times I look for those around my age who have killed themselves, and I listen to the parents and friends write or talk about it.

It is a strange sort of therapy, I guess it puts in perspective how it would be had I been that person. It does, however, make me cry like nothing else. I feel so much sympathy for these people, and I don't just mean the ones left behind. As much as I have tried to remove myself from sentimentality throughout the years, this seems to be one of the more effective things I have done at the lowest points. And I do mean low, those moments right before I may have done something I would regret.
  2. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I think it can be a good thing if you're considering suicide because it reminds you of how serious and real the act is, and not some poetic thing that you build up in your head. It shows how it's just an ugly occurrence that leaves people devastated.
  3. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Thinking about how my death will affect my family, especially my mom, is one of the few things that make me cry anymore.

This will sound super cheesy, but I heard the song "You Are My Sunshine" today and I immediately broke out in uncontrollable tears. It's because my mom sang it to me all the time when I was very little. I would never want to hurt her... but I can't go on much longer. I'm too weak. I'm a broken person. I'm an unfit human being. All I can do anymore is wait for death to come.
  4. Unwilling

Unwilling Member

Yeah, I know about the whole song thing. I was in one particularly bad episode, and my girlfriend knew it. She sent me the song by Good Charlotte called "Hold on," and despite not liking them at all that song got to me because of the suicide stories in it. Sometimes I just pull it to listen to those more than the music.
  5. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Cant say it *helps* me in any way but to get me thinking sometimes, but either way I do it because 1)it doesnt depress me, except some cases and 2)I have been helped many times now and I feel its my duty to repay the debt.
  6. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

for me it doesnt cos i have if i died,ill be left nobody behind :(
  7. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

No. We all die in the end. All pain is temporary. It doesn't really matter, I'll just envy that dead person.
  8. TaraB3ar

TaraB3ar Well-Known Member

I hope it does make you think. I've seen a lot of negative posts on here saying that people dont care or dont want to 'deal' with them which isnt true at all. You cant know how much it hurts to have someone you love take their lives unless you've been there. You cant know how much it hurts to look at the person you love in the eye and see that they want to die. I will NEVER forget the look on my father's face when I was trying to convince him not to pull the trigger. It is real it is devastating, its not just a simple answer.
  9. TaraB3ar

TaraB3ar Well-Known Member

And to you, if all pain is temporary, as if its no big deal then why do i still think about my parents suicide attempts every day even though they were 8 and 4 years ago?
  10. twc

twc Well-Known Member

I recommend this book:

"No Time To Say Goodbye" by Carla Fine.

Her husband committed suicide and she wrote the book because there wasn't much support for her.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.