Does Music Trigger You?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Perfect Melancholy, Jul 22, 2010.

?

Does Music Trigger You

Poll closed Dec 4, 2011.
  1. Yes certain songs

28 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. no not at all

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. I do not like music

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. only when I hear you singing Rich

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

This is a serious point I was thinking about the other week I was feeling fine and then I listened to a song I have not heard in ages and bang I was crying. I love music from a personal opinion, I live for it. It is the only things that has not let me down, but at the same time there is certain songs that trigger me, and I have to avoid and as the other day proves I am not always sure what they are, I just wondered what other people thought.......

2. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Yeah my immortal by evanessence, i avoid that song like the plague

3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I can relate. Last year I'd break down after hearing certain songs again.

Music doesn't trigger me, it moves me deeply, as does anything good that I read/hear/watch. But lets say if a song was part of a relationship, and I was grieving from loss- I'd avoid that song yes, and that song break me, probably; but it's different being moved by music/ or a memory, than being triggered by lets say- people y'know? There's a huge difference. I'm frightened by music/books/written things that reminds me of what I used to feel because a lot of pain/hurt gets dug up- but it's not something completely unwanted, it's something I'm actually working towards. I had a very rough year last year and there are periods where I just don't want to be emotionally effected.

4. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Certain songs i find do...like if im feeling down i seem to listen to depressing music which gets me more down :p
    Or if i hear a song that reminds me of someone i miss or cant be with that i love then i get triggered =/

5. Kaos General

Anything by justin bieber triggers me big time, oh no sorry he just makes me rage

6. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Yes, definitely. There are a lot of songs that make me sad and almost cry, but I don't avoid those. I actually like the fact that they can stir up such emotions within me. Then there are those that I associate with my ex-boyfriend. Those are the ones I avoid like the plague.

7. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

:rofl: i agree with this

8. Perfect Melancholy

s Club 7 had the same effect me remember them jesus

9. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Yeah music can be triggering. Though I use it more as a tool now than anything.

10. Perfect Melancholy

How do you mean as a tool may I ask?

11. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Um. Ok. Like chuck norris(lol gotta love typing that one in) said
    He avoids that song because it makes him feel something. In general, for me, it's my own personal association with the songs I listen to that can make me feel something. From lyrics(which are pretty specific) too a ambient melodic tune, I feel alot when it comes to music. So alot of my songs have natural associations with my feelings and life experiences. Sometimes I use them when I open to it, to feel things I would normally be opposed to. It's like using music as a guide into yourself. A play list for me can be as specific or unspecific as I want it to be.
    I don't really have the luxury of a particular song meaning a particular thing anymore, I change the meanings slightly every time, and generalize the feelings, so I explore them too the tunes of music. At that point it's a guide, a safety net, and a trip all at the sametime. But the point of it for me is, to be who I am before the song starts, and explore that part of me as the song plays, and know who I am through the entire song and when it is over.
    Sometimes, it lets me experience contradictions as I bring in aspects of my life, or simply touch with tender hurt parts so I can sooth and nurture them back.

I suppose you could say if you wanted to nutshell it, in one point of view, it allows me to explore feelings that I normally wouldn't let myself feel, for fear that some outside subjection or stimulation would hinder, hurt or influence negatively. Sometimes a certain peace of music for me can be used to push forward when I feel like falling down.(Something inspiring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm-LzfiBLuY&feature=related <- go to 5:28 for example) . Like this, if you .. well ok for me. I let myself be open to it, and I try my best to be myself and let the music help fuel myself. Always learning how and why I feel inspired. I suppose inspire myself to face some questions that my cramp me up.
    I should stop lol. But yeha that's kinda one way of how i do it. It just lets me see another possibility.

12. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Certain songs for sure! And when I say trigger me they can trigger in me sadness or joy...I use music to get me revved up in the mornings.

I really relate to what Blake wrote and do something similar during slower more reflective times..like when I am driving long distances and such...

13. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I find music relaxing.. From head banging rock n roll, to easy listening, to country.. I like all kinds of music..I leave my stereo on when I go to bed and it puts me right to sleep..

14. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

It's the only thing that keeps me going, sometimes.

I haven't heard you sing, though... :p

15. TJ

TJ Staff Alumni

To me , certain songs bring back memories some bad and some good , ie .. there are certain songs that i SI whilist listening to them .. and others which move me deeply , music is an expression we cant explain really its more than often an expression of self . im a musicain so i find it to be rather relaxing most of the time , expect a few certain genres that i just cant stand .

16. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

If any songs were to 'trigger' me, it would be because it's a plain annoying sound :laugh:. I don't listen to an awful lot of music, just depends :dunno:.

17. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" makes me think about one of my past relationships because that was our song. You know, "don't fear the reaper, baby take my hand, don't fear the reaper, we'll be able to fly, don't fear the reaper, baby I'm your man, laaalalaa-laaala"

It's still one of my favorite songs though.

18. Kaos General

Dear gawd, same as steps, aqua, s club juniors, five need i go on

19. greyroses

greyroses Well-Known Member

Music can trigger depression, elation, and homicidal feelings in me :D

20. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

Other things cause me to trigger, people, health, job, isolation.

Music does not trigger me, but it does amplify the feelings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.