Does OD ever work..?

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by lviee, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lviee

lviee New Member

Hi everyone. I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this... but after reading a couple that were in here, I'm curious as to why "so many" (i do not have actual statistics) people chose to overdose, and why "so many" fail. Obviously, the choice to OD isn't foolproof, but where did the idea start? Where do people find the medicine they chose to overdose with? I guess for me , I would make sure that if I overdosed, it would have a better chance of killing me than leaving me in critical condition after failing to stop my heart from beating. - suicidal teen
    By the way are questions on methods allowed in this forum? I am not contemplating using them, but I'm suicidal because I think about it everyday .

2. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Discussing methods is against forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2012
  3. Raven

Raven Guest

Methods are not allowed here as we are a pro-life site, we are here to listen and to help in anyway we can.

4. Speedy

Speedy Staff Alumni

Hi Iviee,

Glad you have come here to talk about what you are going through....please take care of yourself, and yes....as we are a pro-life forum, we do not share methods. :hug:

5. Descendant

Descendant Account Closed

This is just speculation but I think the reason most people attempt to overdose over other methods is because, firstly, almost everyone has quick and easy access to some kind of drug in their home, sometimes in very large quantities which makes it's easier to carry out on impulse than just about any other method. Hence why so many people attempt to OD.

Secondly, and this might just be me, but it seems like most people try to overdose precisely because they are more likely to survive the attempt; they aren't exactly sure if they want to die or not, but it's a way for them to still act on those feelings without sealing their fate. However the main reason that ODing has such a high survival rate is because it is almost impossible for someone to hold down enough over the counter pharmaceuticals to be fatal. Either you eat so much you regurgitate the pills or not enough and wake up with the worst hangover of your life which - thankfully - usually puts most people off the idea.

6. daisyhope

daisyhope Active Member

Id actually have to agree with Descendant on what they said. Impulse is often a major factor as many people who suffer various illness which lead/cause suicidal thinking are impulsive as-well.

And Descendant id never thought of it like that (ur second point)... i OD a lot and often i want to die but i end up in hospital and ive always put it down to my natural survival instinct.

7. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

I overheard a conversation a week or so ago, by 2 women talking about friends and their departed loved ones to suicide, and (cos we were on a hike with a lot of others, it did not look like I was eavesdropping) they reckoned the choice of method had a sex bias - that most who OD are female, because they do it as a cry for help and don't really want to die, whereas guys are more likely to be definite once they make the decision and choose something more failproof.

I hope what I've posted is not against the rules here.

8. Descendant

Descendant Account Closed

They're exactly right. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this, but 4 times as many men commit suicide than women, and while 40% of women use poison 56% of men use firearms as a means and only 13% use poison. Sadly the way men are raised in a macho culture makes it more difficult for them in general to ask for help or look for the attention they desperately need, or to be given that help once asked for. Which in turn causes them to feel more isolated and less likely to have any doubts about suicide.

I don't think most people who attempt to OD (even multiple times) see it that way either because it's probably more of a subconscious decision than anything. Even if you feel like you're determined there's a small part of you that's fighting to live even if it only means you're playing Russian Roulette. You should try and listen to that part of yourself more carefully though, I'm sure it has a lot to say. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2012
  9. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I also think that a factor is that the majority of people out there have no idea when it comes to pharmacology. A lot of people think "Well death is like a lot of sleep, right? So I'll just overdose on sleeping pills!" and the problem is that modern sleeping pills aren't like that, if you take too much you'll just cause a mess - very very rarely a fatal one even with large quantities.

Similarly OTC painkillers just don't act on the body in a way that can cause death in almost any circumstance.

By design the system out there is made to allow only fairly harmless drugs into the general market for OTC purchases. Most of my pharmaceutical knowledge came from looking for a way to overdose successfully, and all I really learned was the drug store wasn't much help in that vein. By fortune of advances in pharmaceuticals the really, really dangerous drugs are largely obsolete. (Ones that are just really dangerous are extremely hard to come by and are kept under lock and key by whichever hospitals carry them.)

10. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Also men are more likely to own firearms or have immediate access to them. Studies have shown that access to firearms is a risk factor for suicide. (That is even if you don't fit into any other at-risk group like the mentally ill or the homeless, you're at increased risk of suicide just because you can do a lot of damage on impulse.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.