Does pain really go away with time?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by AsphyxiateOnMisery, Feb 25, 2015.

1. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

So, something happened that I don't really want to get into that hurt me pretty badly. It's not like the absolute worst thing that could have happened but it's kind of up there. I've been trying for like a week now to ignore it and not think about it, hoping the negative thoughts and mental images would just go away with time and it seemed to be working at first. It seemed to be decreasing as I kept trying to distract myself. But then yesterday something triggered it again and it just came back full force. I spent most of the day crying about it and wanting something to just numb me. Now, it's kind of better again. I'm not thinking about it as much and I'm not craving drugs anymore (for now, at least)...but I'm afraid I guess that if it came back like that yesterday, what if it happens again? Am I doing something wrong by trying to ignore it? Is it still going to dwell in my subconscious and gnaw at me until I do finally pay attention to it and try to fix it? Or if I keep not thinking about it, is it really going to go away eventually?
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I have found that ignoring the problem, only makes it worse in the long wrong. If you learn to deal with what's happened and try to figure out how to solve it (if it's solvable) or learn to live with it. It can be painful, and it can really hurt but the pain does tend to dissipate over time.
  3. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

Well that's the thing, the problem itself isn't really something I can fix. It's more like it just happened and I have to let it go, but it seems I'm having trouble doing that. When I said fix it, I meant more like on my end of it. Do something to speed up the healing process for myself. I don't know if I should do that or just keep trying to let it go and hope it happens eventually?
  4. SynapseR

SynapseR Member

yes, I believe that pain almost inevitably goes away with time as long as you deal with your feelings and don't shut them down.

I have always liked the following saying: "allow yourself to feel whatever you're feeling right now".

What does that mean? Well, I think that the pain will be there for some time but it won't be permanent. You are not helpless in this situation: you should absolutely do everything in your power to manage your condition, but do not beat yourself up if you don't succeed at first.

Be well.
  5. thepainwithin

thepainwithin Well-Known Member

No. It doesnt. You don't forget. You move forward but you don't forget
  6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

To be honest I think it varies from person to person and how you decide to deal with the pain. For me, facing it upfront and getting it all out of my system helps. Professional help is the best way forward, as you know they are trained to help you cope, so I think that's a good idea.

I once had a problem, to me it was huge to others it might not have seemed that significant, I tried to cope alone for about a year and I just couldn't anymore, I wanted to die. I went to a therapist who helped me so much. I was delighted with the outcome.

So as I said it depends on how you approach it and differs from person to person. I hope your pain goes away :hug: