Does ripping /removing nails completely count as self harm?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by BornFree, Jun 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BornFree

BornFree Well-Known Member

I am barely able to use my fingers for the simplest tasks and stupidly my fingers are hard to hide... it would look silly wearing gloves and it is way too painful... so H & kids have seen and I have no idea if they will ever grow back now, but I know if I start to cut I couldn't stop. Why hen my normal levels of pain are so bad I have inflicted more... I don't know... and its really hard work to get nail lifted enough to pull it off and stem the bleeding... Urrrgghhh now I can't go to the wedding... I'll be on my own the entire day so I know I could so easily do the job properly.
  2. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I am sorry for the pain that puts you in this position. I am , unfortunately, the last person in the world for answers that are effective for dealing with self harm - I will share something I shared with one of the very most important people in the world to me about SH -
    I (or your loved ones) are not bothered by the sh , I do not get overly concerned about the cuts at all - I am bothered by the fact that I cannot stop or do not know how to help effectively with the pain that causes it to be a reasonable release.

I suspect your loved ones are the same - it looks often like upset with the cuts (or nails or whatever method) - because that is what you see the reaction to - the issue is not that , the issue is being reminded once again we failed to support you in a meaningful needed way.
  3. BornFree

Oh Ben Thank you so much for your response. I must be honest and say I had a good cry. ..For the pain youve helped me see I am causing my family and got me thinking what they must be feeling... it is also a throbbing, painful declaration of the fact that I am just not coping. .. It is all my inadequacy & my own failure to cope and I honestly don't think or expect others to support me.
    I cant thank you enough for your kind honest thoughtful & thought provoking response.I never thought I would sink so low again. The trigger is not here tonight so I am trying to be strong & not SH anymore.
  4. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

To answer the initial question of the thread - I believe that it would be, as it is directly inflicting pain on oneself.

I also agree with this. NYJ often has a wiser way with words than I.
  5. Kaganovich

Kaganovich Active Member

Indeed to reply to the initial question, it more than counts! Cutting is one thing, ripped finger nails are usually reserved for torture! If you've found strength to stop this then great, all self harm is ultimately futile!
  6. BornFree

Thank you Unimportant (which you are definately not so I will call you UP - Unique Person) and Kaganovich... :grouphug: I really appreciate your responses.
    I still didnt manage to stop, its as though inflicting excrutiating pain is the only thing preventing me ending things properly. I don't know what to do or say anymore and the triggers are all around today so I have to pull myself together and pretend to be happy till tonight when everyone is in bed. Some thing happened recently bringing everything back again the flashbacks all the feelings all the memories and terror oh god I don't know where I am going with this sorry.
    I stupidly watched a programme never imagining there would be an image that will haunt me so much I won't describe it except to say it depicted the horror and pain I feel.
    Anyway Thank you again x
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.