Does SF attracts more attention seekers than suicidal people?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by boo, Jul 14, 2010.

Does SF attracts more attention seekers than suicidal people?

1. Yes it does.

16 vote(s)
  2. No it doesn't.

12 vote(s)
  3. I think boo is jealous of the attention i get.

4 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Does SF attracts more attention seekers than actual suicidal people? Or is it that the Attention seekers are more loud?

Now for the love of god please, before jumping in the curtains, I'm NOT pointing at anyone here.
  2. UnkelHeit

UnkelHeit Well-Known Member

It's a good question. I think it's a balance of both of those things. You never know. I'm not willing to make that judgment and dismiss someone. I'd rather take a chance on wasting (?) my time.
  3. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

Yes it does attract "attention seekers" as well as suicidal people... it seems to me the people like to pedal their solutions on others (like preaching about religion) as if its there duty to enlighten the masses, I feel suicidal but im not ignorant and those that claim to have a solutions please keep it to ur self as i heard it all b4... there are other type of attention seekers on here as well... the boy who cried wolf comes to mind... my problems r worse than urs...blah blah blah...sorry i know i sound cynical...ill shut up now
  4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

In many (not most or all) cases, being suicidal is attention-seeking behavior in itself. Everyone wants to feel loved, and I believe that's understandable and not necessarily condemnable. But many times I do wonder the devious and disingenuous motives of others here, particularly when the appeasement they get from that behavior comes at the emotional expense of others.

Whether there are more of these creatures than everyone else, I would think not. But everyone here does post in need of some form of attention or another. So, because on the whole it's true, I chose 'Yes'.
  5. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I've seen my share of attention seekers on here, but I've also seen a large amount of people going through a difficult time in their lives and looking for help. My only hope is that people who come here looking for help are sincere and just not trying to make people feel sorry for them.
  6. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

I think it attracts a lot of people who want to blame the world for their feelings. I try to help people and I mean it seems like some people can only respond in a "nah, you're wrong, it's hopeless, the world sucks and there's nothing I can do" way. I don't necessarily think they know they're attention seeking but they come here and they're not willing to respond with anything outside of that.

It's actually a really significant reoccurring pattern I've noticed here and I think I did that when I was depressed. I guess Prinn is right to an extent that being suicidal is attention seeking. Not always, but a lot of the time expressing suicidal thoughts is. Not that it's always a bad thing, I just hate it when someone seeks attention and doesn't give a crap about the people giving them attention.

I come here to try to help people because I know when I was suicidal I needed someone to lay the truth out on the table and tell me how to make my life better. I try to do that for others, sometimes my advice doesn't fit, sometimes it fits perfectly and the person really appreciates it, and a lot of the time it becomes really obvious that the person basically just wants attention.
  7. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

8. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I think it's a case of a vocal minority. Certainly, the vast majority are truly suicidal
  9. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

Yes, I think the majority of the people here don't have it in them to actually kill themselves. And some of these people are just attention seekers, for sure.

There are people who actually are a danger to themselves but it takes effort to really be able to say for sure who these people are.
  10. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Not sure why they are so separated. Yea, I know there are attention seekers here, but there are attention seekers everywhere. I would imagine those attention seekers here are still struggling with suicidal ideation and/or depression/mental illness. I doubt there are many, if any, who are here for an extended time, who don't still struggle with those things.
  11. ema

ema Antiquities Friend

I want to say "what an odd thread," but it is pretty obvious why it appeared to me.

I didn't vote because I can't say one way or the other. I think a lot of people are really depressed and/or suicidal and don't say anything because, ultimately, they don't know what to say. I know I've wanted to post, but when I've tried, I've just sat here and stared at the screen. What can I say that matters? Or, who is really going to read this and care? These kinds of questions keep a lot of us silent, even though we are actually here.

But, I've also run into several people who don't care how hard you try to help. Yet, isn't that part of severe depression? We can't see beyond the hole we're in? Sometimes, it takes a good kick in the pants to get it. (I got one this week, from my doc of all people!)

Are they seeking attention, or do they just need attention at the same time they can't even begin to imagine taking any steps to improve because things seem so bad? Sometimes grabbing for attention is the only way to keep from being so alone that you go over the edge. Maybe?

I don't know, just thoughts.
  12. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I am not a suicide risk, but this forum invaluable assistance
  13. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

Personally, I think most of the people want attention, but it could be because of the fact that people usually want to commit suicide because they feel worthless and they feel like no one wants them around.

Therefore, it's both.

But from my own personal experiences I've wanted attention more than help a couple of times ^-^
  14. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I voted yes because I came here as an attention seeker, I believe the only way to get the correct answer is for members to vote based on their own arrival. Providing they have been here long enough not to be blinded by their emotions.
  15. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

One thing bothers me about this poll and that is equating suicide with attention seeking. Many suicidal people make gestures or statements to say how badly they feel. However this is not saying they want attention for attention's sake, but to let someone know they hurt. It may not be the best way to show this, but it is a form of communication. I began here so I could directly state how I felt without repercussions from family and therapist etc. Just remember people usually do not commit suicide without some form of communication first. I am glad people have a way to say it here, which is a necessary escape valve.
  16. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

:( . . .
  17. MadeOfGlass

MadeOfGlass Well-Known Member

I have to admit...when I first came on here, I guess I did want attention; but I kinda wanted it because I've never really been noticed or anything like that. I wanted someone to know what was really going through my head, listen to me, and help me.

Now I come on here because I have friends on SF, and I help them through their rough days, and they help me through mine.

Also, one of the people who previously posted said that they didn't like the idea that suicide is connected with just being attention seeking. I'm with them on that.

But, then again, what do I know? xD
  18. Sapphire

Well, that's only good! :)
  19. Sapphire

When you say you're going to kill yourself, knowing it isn't true, just to get attention you're doing something very questionable.

When you want attention because you think you just might end up attempting suicide if you don't get any help soon you're not doing anything wrong.
  20. boo

boo Well-Known Member

It wasn't my intention to offend anyone, sorry if i did. But i guess it was inevitable. It's just that i had my fair share of people who cry wolf one too many times. And after a while I don't know what to believe anymore.
    For example, one member (whom i will not name, but those who know me probably know who i'm talking about) killed himself. I could have tried harder to help him, but i didn't because i've been deceived one too many times. Now i have guilt on my conscience. Not a nice thing to have.

Attention seeking isn't a bad thing. Really, it isn't. But when they keep crying wolf over and over and over, well... it gets troublesome.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.