Does SF help you with your depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by WhyMeWhy, Sep 27, 2007.

Does SF help your depression?

1. It helps alot

14 vote(s)
  2. It helps a little

38 vote(s)
  3. No it does not help

19 vote(s)
  4. I causes my depression to get worse

8 vote(s)
  5. I'm desparate I'll try anything whether it works or not

7 vote(s)
  6. I don't even know

14 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

They say talking it out will help. Does it help for you to be here? From my understanding people become even more depressed by being around other depressed people.
  2. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Thus far, 4 positive, and 3 neutral. Not too shabby.
  3. brainstorm

brainstorm Well-Known Member

I need somewhere to vent. The thought that there may be understanding people on the other side makes it a bit better than writing on my notebooks.
  4. j86

j86 Well-Known Member

I really can't say much since i'm new but so far, does it help with my depression? I doubt it. But does it keep my mind off of negativity? Yeah, of course. I've enjoyed my time here so far and it has been keeping me busy, so it's a positive thing.
  5. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Hasn't made my depression worse, thats for sure. Its helped in really quick, short bursts. But its my fault also for not putting any effort here, opening up, talking to people, being completely closed.
  6. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

Some days it is helped when I was feeling VERY suicidal. I'm not quite sure if reading every day like I do helps much, but it does keep my mind occupied which is a good thing for a schizo like myself.
  7. wanttodie

wanttodie Well-Known Member

I don't like this place at all.This website is actually a reflection of the real world out there to some extent. Racism, Jealousy, Hate...everything is present here..the same things which exist in reality and people are complaining about. It's hypocrisy. I'm leaving this place.
  8. Blackness

Blackness Guest

It helps in the way that I can talk to people in the same situation and i wont get judged and people believe me and dont think im crazy!

but it doesnt stop/cure it...
  9. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

It helps me by giving me a place to vent and also by having friends here who love and support me. I have a place to go when I feel really down.
  10. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Damn! Wow! Nicely said, I guess. So far "helps a little" is ruling the poll. As far as reasons to leave go: When someone says they are suicidal, then their family or freinds tells this forum that they actually did accomplish the desired end..........I don't know about you, but for me it's like witnessing a suicide, like they did it right in front of me. Major bummer and I freak,especially if I've spoken to this person. If I've spoken to them it's like having a friend commit suicide.:sad:
  11. TheGlamorous

TheGlamorous Active Member

It gives me a distraction. Nothing will really "help" me with it. The only way i'll ever get over it is if I accept myself for who I am which seems 99.9% impossible. Ergo: depressed.
  12. jhayes0027

jhayes0027 Well-Known Member

I think it helps at least a little, well it helps me anyway. Being able to release negative thoughts sometimes is helpful, and it's even more helpful knowing that at least others care enough to read what I have to say, they may not always reply, but are usually read or skimmed over one.
  13. Deathly Strike

Deathly Strike Well-Known Member

It does, and it doesn't.

For example, some days I will come on here and I'll be feeling really shit and I'll see some topic in the Uncertainty Principle or something, and it will only make me worse because I can relate in some way or another. And it's for this reason that I do stupid things (overdose, cutting, etc) which, ironically, is the reason I'm here in the first place. However, I can come on here sometimes and my mood will be lifted because I may have read a joke, or a story or someone has shared their problems with me and I've helped thus lifting my mood. Then again, I'm beginning to realize I have people off the forum who care for me too, and thus I'm beginning to somewhat lack visiting this place.
  14. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

To be honest lately I'd have to say no that it doesn't help. Maybe it's b/c I'm around alot more but I feel that people 1. do not understand me here at all 2. dont want to take the time to figure me out and/or 3. basically don't give a fuck really.
    Somedays it helps but lately no.
  15. rocknrollsuicide

rocknrollsuicide Well-Known Member

Although I am a new member, so far...not so very good.
    But that for me depends by a very materialistic situation I am unfortunately experiencing....

Anyway, I'll try to give it another go but frankly I do not currently believe this place is of great help at all.

I might change my mind.
    I don't know.

To some extent I agree with Kanani79.....

I'll see if it will all be turning positive in due course.

Take care people

16. yada

yada Well-Known Member

In the past I've questioned whether it was helping or if it was keeping me depressed, and I stayed away for a while, but my net answer to myself is that it does help. But even if it did make me feel worse (which it does not), I think the resources are more than worth that.

FWIW, I'm still searching for a help resource that fits my situation, but while I do that I think it's a good place to let it all out once in a while. No it's not the same as talking to a good friend, but I have none of those left, and so far I've not been deserted by anyone here. I really think I can work out my situation on my own, with just a bit of support, as I receive here. And time, which hopefully I still have.

BTW, thanks everyone. :grouphug:
  17. yada

yada Well-Known Member

For me, I never expected this place to be utopia. In fact, these behaviours tell me that I'm not on some unrealistic idealistic site that only exists here in cyberspace and the reality I have to return to is different. But instead, these behaviours tell me that I can find help and good people amongst the same crap that exists in reality. Not sure if I explained that properly, but hopefully you get the gist.
  18. Nessarose

Nessarose Well-Known Member

This site helps me when I vent, but depresses me more when I read other people's posts about their depression, suicidal feelings, etc. In a way, though, it's nice to know I'm still capable of *some* human feeling.

I just can't stay on here for long periods of time.
  19. TheGlamorous

TheGlamorous Active Member

Of course it is a reflection of the real world, we are real people, who live in the real world, who post on these forums.

Unfortunately, with the advent of the internet, anonymous users can hide behind their keyboards and spew as much bigotry and hatred as they feel energized to.
  20. johnsmythe

johnsmythe Well-Known Member

In some areas yes but overall no not really. It actually makes other areas worse (for me at least)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.