does sf help?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by justmeonlyme, Jun 4, 2010.

?

does sf help you

1. yes

32 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. no

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. it used to but not anymore

10 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. it never used to but it does now

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. im not sure

22 vote(s)
    29.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justmeonlyme

justmeonlyme Long Time SFer Staff Alumni

does sf help you if yes in what way if no then what makes you stay?

for me it used to help now im not so sure but i still stay coz i care about people here and idk for some reason i always just find myself logging into here

2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

No, not really.

Why i stay? While i don't feel helped, on occasion it's good to get my thoughts out of my head.

I'd also like to think that some of my comments might have some worth.

And, like you, i just always end up coming back...

3. kitanai

kitanai Well-Known Member

i dont think so
    i know it helps some
    but it dosent help me
    im to far gone

4. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

It used to, when i first joined last year now its just full of selfish people who think support is one way

5. MadeOfGlass

MadeOfGlass Well-Known Member

I have met people on here that I have made friends with and I don't know what I would do without them. This site has helped me a bunch.

6. weakness

weakness Guest

No, it pressures me too much. I just cannot stay away from Boo.

7. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Voted yes! And although I'm not around as much as I once was, it was a literal life-saver for me and as another mentioned above I have made some great on-line friends here. In fact now, the only friends I have are here.

I'm sure that if needed I will find it to be just as useful in the future!

:love: SF :love:

8. boo

boo Well-Known Member

By why stay away from boo...

9. weakness

weakness Guest

Your wish is my order

10. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I answered yes...:sf:

11. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I get frustrated sometimes-- and selfconscious... but I'd get those feelings even if I weren't online all day and actually talked to people face to face.
    I think it's good to keep some level of contact so that I'm not a completely socially retarded weirdo.

12. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Yup, it's my main outlet really.

13. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

For me it helps, it gives me something to do during the day, give out advice to others where I feel I can and to talk to other people with similar experiences

14. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I voted yes.. It has saved my life a few times.. I have met some great friends here..I also find that helping others is good therapy for me..

15. nobodyandeverybody

nobodyandeverybody Active Member

not really; it's great when i make friends on here, but in under a week everything comes crashing down around me and I'm worse off having lost the friends

16. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yes yes and yes it let me in when i was thrown away from another god without this place and its kind members i would not have stayed somewhat sane
    i am not afraid here no one attacks me here well almost no one i can get my thoughts out and not worry abt being thrown away thank you for a safe haven.

17. Brandon

Brandon Well-Known Member

i honestly don't know anymore

18. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Let me tell you something. One of my very first threads on this web site received responses of minimal support and made me feel like a demon. It was filled with mostly derogatory and unsubstantial interjections, and was even used against me for others to use to persecute me for what I had put out there, foolishly expecting to get not pat on the backs and "oh poor baby"s, but rather mature, supportive information and help with consolation. I did receive some helpful feedback, but for the most part, it was dehumanizing and non-supportive. I haven't created a thread in that part of the forum ever since, despite its claim of being a place where members can receive mature responses and feel free to discuss things that they otherwise would not feel comfortable discussing elsewhere.

I don't have an open family that wants to listen to me talk, I can't afford a therapist, and I don't have friends to console me. So when I came here that day to talk about that, I was already reluctant to open up about that particular subject, and what I received, I may as well talked about it on some bullshit site like 4chan. I was disgusted by the kind of feedback I received. So no, it didn't help me.

It's not helpful when the site encourages people to not feel so inhibited when "talking about it helps," yet when you talk about it someplace other than your diary where no one can reply, people who have a problem with you use that as an opportunity to take stabs at an already wounded self-esteem. I feel like people who don't have anything substantial or supportive to say in response to a person's thread (a thread which that person created for their personal reasons which they see as being legitimate, regardless of whether you do not see it as legitimate) need to just not respond, and it would be better off to just not add their antagonizing, useless, two penny-bit poppycock.

Yeah, it's a public forum and everything you say can be used against you and be open for ridicule and/or hating, but there are certain standards here where members are also expected to be supportive, aren't there?

There are certain aspects about the forum I feel have been effective in some regard for some of my specific problems, and others I feel are on the same level as 4chan, somethingawful or some other comedy site where everything is part of some criclejerking, cruel satire or joke. So does SF help me? I'm not sure.

19. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Think site has helped me a whole bunch!

20. Pow

Pow Well-Known Member

It good in the way you can be so openly and can relate to people but the downside is that it makes me dwell to much on the subject of suicide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.