Does SSRI's work for social anxiety caused by blushing?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Maylin, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Maylin

Maylin Well-Known Member

To make my story really short: I blush a lot when I get just a little nervous and because of that avoid all kinds of interaction with people. On the other hand I know that I can talk to people just fine, but because I blush really bad when I get nervous(mostly around people) I avoid everyone.

It has gotten such a huge problem that in a few days I am going to ask my doctor for SSRI pills, but I am wondering if that is the correct pills to take?

PS: Dont mention "red cheeks are cute" or "try to not think about not blushing", believe me I have heard it all before, that is why I am turning to pills. Therapist is also not an option.
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Anything for anxiety should work. Anxiety causes blushing causes anxiety... Terrible loop, but dampening the anxiety should deaden the loop for the most part.

I'm personally a TERRIBLE blusher. Sometimes I don't mind [I'm told I'm extremely cute while blushing, so I use that to my advantage where possible] but usually it's terrifying.
  3. Maylin

Maylin Well-Known Member

Yeah that sounds logical. Going to see my doc tomorrow, I am really looking forward to it, but I am also scared to death that he will say something like "I am sorry, you are a bit young(21), you need to see a therapist. I will not give you those pills"...

I seriously would not know what to do if that happend, since I am on this forum I quess it wont be good, heh...:unsure:
  4. HOW

HOW Well-Known Member

He should be able to give you those pills. After questioning you about your anxiety it should be clear to him that pills will help you, but of course therapy and meds is the better option.
  5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Why are you so dead set to not try therapy? It tokk me three befora I found Gina but it was worth it...She is great and doesn't talk down to you. The first thing she does is try to get you to relax. She doesn't push, just lets you talk about what ever is bothering you at the moment. In my opinion she is the greatest!!
  6. Maylin

Maylin Well-Known Member

For some people I quess therapy works, but I just do not see any point in it for me. I understand my problem, I know there is nothing to fear, I know I react to past experiences, but I just can not help it. So talking about it would not change anything.

Good news though, I got Prozac and I have been on it for around two weeks. In another two weeks I am going to go back and there we will talk about how it is going, if the med is working, if I want to change, up the dosage or whatever.

I am on the other hand worried about this meeting, my regular doctor is gone away for a month, so I have to discuss this with a rookie med student.
  7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I hope your Prozac works for you.

In terms of what it can do, it basically just deals and eases the symptom. It doesn't actually fix the problem.

I understand your reluctance for therapy, I was like that too, and it's important to remember that you are in control of what you choose to do, so regardless of what I say, make the choice for yourself. Basically what I want to say is that therapy can help you work on the root causes for blushing causing you anxiety, and it can also help you cope with reacting to past experiences. If you find that whenever you try and come off of Prozac you go back to being anxious, or if you find that Prozac doesn't help as much as you want, or you want to completely sort out the problem, don't rule out therapy. At the end of the day, do you have anything to lose by trying?

Just something to think about :) I hope that the Prozac does help you.