Does St johns Wort work for anyone

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by mpk, Apr 3, 2016.

1. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

I have been taking 1 tablet of st johns wort for a week now. I don't know if is working or not. I know it is used in Europe to treat depression.

2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

It's a natural remedy but it's depends on the level of depression your are suffering from. You need to speak to your doctor about it as stronger medication might be the answer. I hope this helps you.

3. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thank you for the information.

4. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

I've never tried it Mpk, because I've been on an antidepressant for so long. It's contraindicated wo take both. I've heard that it helps some people and would probably be worth a try. Other natural remedies I've heard of that have good results are Kanna and Kava, you may want to google them and see what you think. Like anything though, it's usually an individual response in that it works for some and not others, DEFINETLY worth a try though. Hope you're doing well today.
    Brian

5. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Thank you Brian for the information. I have been taking st johns wort yet not sure if it is working.

6. Brian777

Sometimes herbals can be very subtle in their effects and take some time to kick in. The other two I mentioned, I have heard good reports on, especially the Kanna. Again I have never tried them, but would if I weren't on medication. There's quite a bit of info on the Internet about them and they do look promising. I would check out the the vendor is reputable, they usually have reviews you can access that are offsite. I would personally use a natural supplement than a pharmaceutical but I don't think I could go through the withdrawal from Cymbalta at this time, if I miss a day, I get these horrendous brain zapps(hard to describe but not pleasant)
    Brian

7. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

Brian, I will look into the those. I am trying natural first as I cannot go to a therapist. I hope something kicks in. Hope you are well and thanks for the info.

8. Brian777

You're welcome and I hope you find something that works. Actually I'm feeling a bit better today thanks. I believe getting good sleep from the Benadryl has helped some. I know that the Kava was illegal in Canada for 10yrs and just recently became legal again. That in itself tells me that it does work and of course big Pharma was probably behind its being made illegal :)

9. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

I took Benadryl last night 50mg. I was tired yet not sure I slept which is weird. I will try it again tonight and see what happens. My eyes have been itching like crazy so it also helps with that.
    Thanks.

10. Brian777

I've just been taking 25mg and it's worked well for me so far. Maybe try a lesser dose. But at least you're allergies are improved.

11. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

My wife has ambien yet I have resisted taking one of those to sleep as I don't want that monkey on my back. Most of what I read about Benadryl is that it can help you sleep as well as lessen anxiety yet most info is not clear as to how long it takes to do this.

Brian777 likes this.
  12. Brian777

Yeh Mpk, I'd never heard of it being used for anxiety before until Petal mentioned it. I thought it would be worth a try and it has seemed to work for me. Actually today I feel better, not sure if it's the anti anxiety effect or just the fact I've gotten some decent sleep. I am going to try and locate a distributor for Kanna and Kava in Canada and try that out. It would be nice to find something non pharmaceutical that alleviates anxiety and depression, I'm feeling kind of apprehensive about seeing the psychiatrist on Saturday if he wants to change my meds, I don't think I could handle a withdrawal situation at this time. Especially since I've been on two meds for many years. Any I'll see what happens and tell him my concerns. Btw are you feeling even slightly better since starting the St. John's wort? I know it can take a little time but even a slight difference would be encouraging. Take care my friend.

13. mpk

mpk Well-Known Member

I don't know if I am feeling better with the St johns or not as of yet. My funk has been extremely deep this time. I took some Benadryl and I think I slept better yet still tired. Will try again tonight.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Brian777 likes this.