does suicidal = mentally ill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Underground

Generally people who want to kill themselves are depressed, psychotic or in some other form of mental anguish, so yes, it does make you mentally ill and not of sound mind. This doesn't mean it's for life, and you can get better. The answer lies not only in psychology and psychiatry, but your social wellbeing too.

I think everyone has suicidal thoughts at some point in their lives, but much fewer ever attempt, and even fewer succeed.

If i want to die, does that make me mentally ill? Or is it ever normal to want to die?

If I am mentally ill, can I be fixed?
Strangely enough some people commit suicide who are not depressed.

It depends on your life circumstances, physically, socially etc. Hypothetically your life could be so messed a large % of people if they got implanted in your body somehow would want to die. Now does that make someone mentally ill or is it the context of their life?

Take an eastern European working girl and put her on the street and if she gets beat up every night it most likely won't be long before she goes "crazy". Now does that mean she has a "mental illness" or did the way people treated her make her go "crazy". The reality is if you remove her from that situation and put her in a loving, caring home where she isn't abused she most likely see drastic improvement within months or so, possibly even not be traumatized.

Psychiatrist assume their is a chemical imbalance and just throw drugs at you, when in many cases a chemical imbalance isn't the issue at all.

For example people 60% of people given SSRI's for depression find improvement while those given a placebo find 40% notice improvement. That means theirs only a 20% improvement compared to that of a placebo from SSRI medication.

"Mentally ill" is merely a term applied to people who have behaviors or misbehaviors society doesn't agree with. If you're often sad, worried, fatigued, lacking enthusiasm, etc society will call you depressed and label you as mentally ill. Hormones can play a factor for example with men low testosterone can cause depression type symptoms. Throwing you SSRI's when you need a testosterone replacement therapy would be an obvious mistake.

This label of mentally ill carries stigma with it.

In my mind to have a disease means you have to have something like diabetes, a tumor, hepatitis, aka something that can actually be tested or scanned for. You don't go to the doctor with symptoms along the lines of diabetes and then they just treat it. No they first have to test for it to make sure you have it. With that said their are some things they do treat just going off of symptoms for example if you're in pain a doctor may give you strong antibiotics because not all infections can be tested for. This is a trick of the trade, doctors have three tricks, psychiatric drugs, antibiotics and corticosteroids

With mental illnesses their is no test, only a short evaluation(15 minutes) from a psychiatrist. In that sense even if they have all relevant information their evaluation is flawed at best. "mental illness" is largely a label, a judgment that carries social stigma with it.

If they deem your behavior not to fit into the norm then you are said to have a "mental illness". Their is no legitimate test for mental illness in a sense it is a fake disease or disorder. Psychiatrists make up these diseases and vote on them.

If you talk to a psychiatrist they will tell you there is no cure for "mental illness" only treatment. The pills they give you are not a cure in any way shape or form. Just like the pills they give someone who has HIV, they are not a cure only treatment. Sure some "mental illnesses" can be temporary going of psychiatric terms let's say depression, psychosis, delusions. Sometimes these issues can be related to drugs, or social problems. In some cases given time and the right environment your body is able to balance out those issues.

"insane" people or "drug addicts" are modern day society's scapegoats. Similar to Jew's or witches of the past.

Society has it twisted if their is a psychopath killer they will be like that guy's "insane" or "crazy" when in reality most psychopathic killers are perfectly sane. Psychopaths aren't psychotic.... It's just hard for people to accept that perfectly sane people can do such horrendous acts. In the same way if you call a family member or acquaintance sociopath you'll get the response i'm or so and so is not crazy or they're not going to be a serial killer. That is also totally wrong to be a sociopath you have to be certifiable sane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic but given you have no health insurance you might want to look into this supplement 5-HTP its worth a shot and you can just buy it on your own.

Another thing that very well might help is to get exercise. Force yourself if you have to with caffeine but the exercise for an energy boost if you're that fatigued. Exercise will release natural endorphin's and make you feel better.

Humans are meant to be active yet given how our society has evolved we are not required to be active. This is a good part of why obesity is a problem. Not to mention the horrible diets that many people have.

kote

Account Closed
i highly agree on the exercise.
i play kendo twice a week and feel really high from the adrenaline and exercise. it clears everything away.
also i love to take my dog on long walks - although i havent been for some time ( kinda stuck with just this first step right now ) but still when i did it was really relaxing.
now im on so many meds that im just doped up all the time - but as suggested caffine to give you a kick often help - coffee/redbull anything really.
and for the record i dont think suicidal thoughts mean you are mentally ill. it could be a very logical judgement of your situation. but having suicidal thoughts id rather get checked out by a dr. asap so it doesnt become a mental sickness. i left it too late and had a mental breakdown. now putting myself back together is a really hard struggle but im not giving up im still fighting.

i highly agree on the exercise.
i play kendo twice a week and feel really high from the adrenaline and exercise. it clears everything away.
also i love to take my dog on long walks - although i havent been for some time ( kinda stuck with just this first step right now ) but still when i did it was really relaxing.
now im on so many meds that im just doped up all the time - but as suggested caffine to give you a kick often help - coffee/redbull anything really.
and for the record i dont think suicidal thoughts mean you are mentally ill. it could be a very logical judgement of your situation. but having suicidal thoughts id rather get checked out by a dr. asap so it doesnt become a mental sickness. i left it too late and had a mental breakdown. now putting myself back together is a really hard struggle but im not giving up im still fighting.
Some people may view suicide as meaning you're mentally ill because in most of society's eyes it's not something a normal person who isn't mentally ill would consider. In their eyes suicide is a deviant behavior not acceptable by society therefore you're automatically "mentally ill", regardless of the situation a person is in.

On the flip side I agree with you in some cases suicide could actually be a very logical judgment to your situation. When the Russians were closing in on Berlin in April and May of 1945 it's estimated 100,000 people committed suicide in Berlin and the close surrounding areas. The USSR soldiers were known to rape and murder. Not to mention if you lived on the USSR side after the creation of the Berlin wall the living conditions would have been quite rough.

BornAgain

No, you don't have to be mentally ill to suicide and you don't need to feel suicidal if you are mentally ill.

There are occasions that the psychiatrists and/or psychologists consider it a "logical decision", being this person more sane than most people around them considered sane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$170.00
Goal
$255.00