Does taking antidepressants make you a weak person?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Erebos, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

Finally after so many years, I've taken the initiative to see a professional. The school's psychiatrist prescribed me Celexa. I agreed to give it a try though I'm not at all familiar with antidepressants. Honestly, I feel like such a weakling, so shameful though I can't quite put my finger on why. I would've never seen myself being reduced to this. No one I know would've seen this coming either. I'm taking drugs for gods sake. I was the happiest kid several years ago. I apologize to anyone who's on antidepressants right now. I really don't mean this as an insult to you. For some reason, this is just how I feel right now and I can't justify it.

I feel as if this will stop me from trying it. Furthermore, there's still this side of me who doesn't seem to want any help. He wants to remain like this and get used to feeling like this forever, or die trying. He doesn't see any meaning in trying these drugs out, and frankly, I can't find a way to argue even if I wanted to. Look at me. Talking about myself in third person. I really must be going crazy.

2. Does taking cough medicene make you weak? There are stigmas surrounding psychotropic drugs, but if you can try look at depression as an illness, not a weakness, it might make you feel better.

I thought I was finally strong, and got off my medication for the first time in a year, and now I've crashed, and I feel like I'm starting all over again.

As for the wanting it, nobody wants to feel this way. I'd say thats your sickness talking. I say it too.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2007
  3. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

Be strong hun and give it a try in taking them, they might help you a great deal. Love, Beret

4. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

I don't know who to listen to. I don't know who I am anymore.

5. Jungr

Jungr Active Member

In spite of being an illness, a depression weakens you, and anti-depressants kill off a great deal of your personality.

Whether you are on SSRI's or MAOI's (amphetamines), they eradicate REM-sleep which in turn removes reflections, abstractions and creative thinking; you become a drone, and I think that downfall is what you are experiencing as of now.

However, the effects aren't long-lasting and you'll notice how you will gradually move back towards your "old" self, as the drug wares off. On the other hand you can find similar traits in opiates that'll simultaneously help you find your way back to expressing abstract thoughts; Vicodin is useful in that sense.

Be sure to notice how the amphetamines work. If you use it for too long it'll go bland. Be extra careful before increasing the dosage.

6. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

SSRI's may eradicate REM sleep for you, they do not do so for me. I've been on Zoloft for several years. It helps keep the depression manageable and my dreams are wonderfully strange and interesting - a last-listed side effect of Zoloft: "strange or bizarre thoughts or dreams".

I also do not feel that I've become a 'drone'. I'm still me, just less depressed.

Different strokes for different folks.

least

7. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

Our mind defines who we are. A damaged liver doesn't; a heart murmur doesn't, a streptococcus infection doesn't. To change that is to change our very essence. Should we not accept ourselves for who we are?

8. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

Many chemical imbalances within the body (such as testosterone) can impair the mind. Should that not be repaired, then?

In my opinion, you define yourself by your desires, then achieving them. You are what you achieve, however the means. To accept yourself, you need to accept the world and it's physical (read: flawed) nature. If you have the intellect to change your problems, that's what ultimately matters. For then, your problems are solved, and the road to salvation disappears leaving you the victor, and nothing else.

9. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

Depression is an illness. Just because it is an illness that affects our brain, does not mean that it becomes part of who we truly are.

I understand what you are saying, but I really do disagree.

Whatever help is offered to you, grab it with both hands. You deserve to be happy :smile:.

Accepting help doesn't make you weak. In fact, I think it makes you a very strong person to admit you need help and then to accept it. It's far easier to just shut ourselves away and put up with being miserable.

:hug: x

10. Erebos

Erebos Well-Known Member

That's the thing. I don't feel depressed anymore nor miserable. I don't feel anything. I don't need them. I don't need help anymore. Illness is a word open to subjectivity. I don't feel depressed. I'm not ill anymore. I feel nothing and I'm ok with that.

I don't know what's left of me or who I am, but I don't have desires or the need to achieve if they're all going to be swallowed up by the jaws of death. It's a futile effort all for naught.

11. LeaveMeAlone

LeaveMeAlone Well-Known Member

Of course anti depressants don't make you weak.

where is there this big perceived difference?

if you get an infection you take anti biotics

cancer you have radio therapy

diabetes you take insulin

if you're ill then get treatment, please.

12. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

No they dont make you weak. Being depressed makes you weak.

There is a sliver of truth to what Jungr was saying. From personaly experience, my zoloft seems to even out my emotions rather than the super highs and lows. You are still you by all means, just maybe without the psychotic passions. But if your passions lead you in the wrong direction then by all means, that is not normal in the first place. Point being, if antiDs can help ease the pain, then it is worth it.

I personally think benzos are better, they do the exact opposite and bring out the creative you.

But anything is better than being in misery. Word Up

:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.