Does The Goverment in Your Country Do Enough For Mental Health?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Perfect Melancholy, Apr 13, 2013.

Does Your Government Do Enough For Mental Health?

1. Yes, they do enough

0 vote(s)
  2. No, they don't

4 vote(s)
  3. I think they are clueless what to do

9 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

Okay I live in the UK I am male under 35, suicide is more likely to kill me then any other disease or accident, 3 men a day kill themselves on average in the UK, this shocked me. I dread to think what it is like in the USA or even Canada, it is actually eating me up in a way, yet all I hear on tv and radio is drive safe, watch when you cross the road, is the government in your country wherever that is doing enough for mental health, and what do you think they should do to help?
  2. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

Poll love! XD

I voted for "no." Whilst I believe that there are plently of places we can go to to get help - such as therapists on the NHS, or even volunteer counsellors - there isn't enough awareness amoungst the public as a whole. For instance, if someone says they have cancer or another awful disease, people know all about it (or at least know the basics.) Yet if someone says they have depression or BPD then I find that the majority of people will dismiss it because it's something they don't understand. If people were made to realise it's an actual problem with severe affects on a persons life then maybe we wouldn't be pushed aside and labelled "different" or "weird" or "boring."
  3. Perfect Melancholy

I agree with all this the NHS relies to much on charities to raise awareness, the time to talk campaign has failed, and sadly with all the cuts I think we very little will be done, hardly anyone I speak to knows the fact I stated, and sadly people seemed to care even less. maybe it is still considered taboo
  4. Snake

Snake Well-Known Member

I've found mentally ill people in retirement homes (or shacks now to think of it), so I really don't think they care about them at all.
    On the last election, there were reports that the ruling party actually took out mentally ill people, from whatever facilities run by the government were they staying, to make them vote for them.

Oh and just last week, the temporal president said that he was going to build clinics for "retarded" people... yup...
  5. Perfect Melancholy

Can I ask out of interest does anyone or is anyone NGO (non government organisation) doing anything about this?
  6. Moat

Moat Banned Member

It is actually somewhat good here, in Australia, however, that is more for the actions of previous governments rather than the current one; the current government itself is about ready to collapse in on itself and it's clueless attitudes towards anything that go to help any aspect of Australian society.
  7. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I voted they are clueless. Hopeless here in the UK. I have had such shoddy care! But it depends on what area you live in. Unfortunately for Derbyshire, it is crap.
  8. Perfect Melancholy

Shoddy in Devon and the south east too, south Wales and northern Ireland too!

What can be done do you think?
  9. pancake111

pancake111 Well-Known Member

nope, I don't think so. I live in the U.S. there is just a huge stigma around mental illness.
  10. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

They need to invest more money into the service. They need to open more inpatient beds, hire more psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists, mental health OT's. They need to offer more therapies. They need to offer a service that caters for those "in between" which the majority of people fall into. They either cater well for the mildly depressed, or those in complete crisis. There is nothing for the people in between whose needs are greater than the mildly depressed, but don't require inpatient or crisis intervention. The longer they get left, the more liekly they are to feel alone and attempt to take their own lives, which ends up putting pressure on crisis teams and inpatient services. The service needs a complete revamp.
  11. In Limbo

In Limbo Forum Buddy

I voted clueless - I've been lucky to have a very understanding GP who whilst not clueless herself is clearly not an expert in mental health. That said she is very helpful in signposting to more helpful sources, and is always willing to talk sensibly regarding meds.

I disagree that the Time to Talk campaign has completely failed, I think the stigma is gradually breaking down - although there is still a heck of a long way to go but some progress has been made.

I am actually involved with a couple of mental health charities, I actually think that more meaningful steps could be made if the charity sector was more co-ordinated in terms of a coherent message and that is something that should be looked at. Under this Tory government - especially with it's outsourcing of parts of the NHS charities already are and will continue to play a bigger role in many areas of health - mental and otherwise.

Just my two penn'orth
  12. Snake

Snake Well-Known Member

Private clinics take care of mentally ill people, but of course the families of those people have to pay them.
    NGO's would only get on the government bad side, which is never a good thing. This ruling party just doesn't have respect for anything or anyone (everyone who opposes them is literally called a "zionist" or "fascist imperialist pig" or just "******", and yes, they actually use those words... on national tv).
  13. katrina77

katrina77 Guest

I voted clueless.

There is only so much money to pass around, and there are increasing amounts of people who need help because of job loss, depression, physical and mental illness, etc. And with people living longer, there are more people on social security, medicare, etc.

And with unemployment being so high (at least here in the US), there is going to be even less money paid in taxes.

I don't know what the answer is. They can't continue to raise taxes (which no matter what the lying politicians say, always hits the middle and lower classes harder), they are breaking the backs of people. But there are a lot of people who need help. Maybe we need more volunteer or private/church groups who can help? The governments of most nations can seem to blow their nose without screwing it up, maybe we need to find others to help. Jmo
  14. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this, and would like to add a couple of things. It's one thing to train the staff, but a whole other thing to have staff that care. I've met nurses who love their jobs, and I've met nurses who really couldn't give a toss. It's the same with therapists, psychiatrists, etc. Just because they have the qualifications doesn't mean they care.

I think an important thing, though, would be follow-up care. Once your number of sessions are over then you're let go. I think it's important to check-in maybe once a month to see how you are doing, instead of cutting all ties. If I wanted to go back I could, but there is no guarantee I'd see the therapist I saw last time. Sessions on the NHS shouldn't just end - they should be cut down, putting longer gaps between sessions or offering even more should you need them.

And I think those adverts they ran on TV a while back need to start again, just to get the public taking notice.
  15. Perfect Melancholy

It's a real shame those put in charge are letting us down on life and death matters. I would love to see charities push them to do more, I know in the advocacy work I do, how hard this is.
  16. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

The government in the UK are a waste of space. They view people with mental health problems as scroungers because many people who are mentally ill have to claim benefits. Getting these benefits is damn near impossible, and even when you do, a company full of incompetent assholes ATOS deem you fit for work, even though the medication your on and its effects bears no significance in their tests at all. The government in the UK arent on an austerity drive, their on a social genocide drive. But hey, this entire country is full of im alright jacks so no one gives a damn about anything unless it directly affects them. Whats even more perverse though is thanks to the conservatives rag the daily heil this entire country is more interested in the £71 a year that their tax goes towards paying for these benefits, yes you read that right, their all frothing at the mouth, demeaning everyone on benefits, the disabled, the elderly, the unemployed, the mentally ill with their disgusting bigotry for a massive £71 a year.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.