Does the Menstrual cycle play a part?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Doubletap, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doubletap

Doubletap Member

As much as I know how much guys don't like talking about this sort of thing, I guess this pertains mostly to the women. I feel like my feelings don't seem to matter because my suicidal thoughts seem to strengthen while I'm closer to my period. Has this happened to any of you? I feel like therapists don't take me as seriously when I tell them this.
  2. deferred dream

deferred dream Well-Known Member

It really does for me. Around when I ovulate, my depression hits a dangerous level. That's the time I always get seriously suicidal thoughts. I need to figure out a way to regulate my hormone levels maybe.
  3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Absolutely a great big YES!

I use to write the days of my cycle on a calendar and would use an up or down arrow to show my mood for that day. After awhile I saw a pattern and I learned which days to back off from things as much as I could and pamper myself, even if it was just some extra sleep.

Once I recognized this, I knew I wasn't as crazy as I thought I was.
  4. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

I find the days leading up to my period are the worst. My moods are seriously low.
  5. Autumn01

Autumn01 Well-Known Member

I'm sure- I usually feel even worse then normal at that time of the month when aunt flo is here.
  6. LotusFlower

LotusFlower Antiquities Friend

Yes my mood gets very very low. Much lower then it normally is
  7. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

yes it does affect us emotionally and physically...I get pains and my mood can go from a high to a low in less than seconds...and usually I'm not sure what is going on until I get my periods..then I'm like...ha ah! that's why...

the joys of being a woman:rolleyes:
  8. Colourful

Colourful Well-Known Member

I haven't really noticed my mood being lower...but I'm definitely a crazy b*tch lol
  9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

yeah me too. i was thinking of going on some kinda pill to regulate things somewhat. i'm not PMSing now for sure, i know.
  10. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

Absolutely positively YES! And if your therapist isn't listening to you (or your doctor) you need to find another therapist or physician. Hormones play a huge role in our emotions, for both men and women! Every hormone affects other hormones, and they all work together, affecting our moods, our thoughts, our desires, our actions - everything that is us! Hormones affect our seratonin levels. Anxiety is adrenaline, which is affected by estrogen and progesterone. I did hella reasearch on this because of entering perimenopause and because of having horrible PMDD my entire life. So a resounding YES! for both women AND men!
  11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

what do you take to help you?
  12. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I've been fighting doctors for two years now because they say I'm supposedly too young to be in perimenopause. I'm not. I just got over yet another series of tests, and now will be able to actually head into this new gyn considering hormone pills. I didn't want them, they are very dangerous, but I'm not living my life at all. I've gained 100 pounds almost due to agoraphobia, which all began when my estrogen/progesterone began doing their death dance. So my personal answer is hormone regulation. I'm going to talk to her about taking the lowest dosage of progesterone-based hormone pills, because though my estrogen is going down, my progesterone is going down a lot faster. There are numerous reasons for this, a lot of them having to do with diet. So I want to raise my progesterone just a bit so its more level with the estrogen, but still allow them to go down naturally. Some people use herbal medicines such as black cohosh, or wild yam root. I can't afford herbs. Pathetic, because they're probably better for me. But there really isn't a lot you can do about it, short of letting it happen. That's the godshonest truth. Unless you want to be on heavy medications (I consider SSRIs heavy medications) that bandage the problem. I didn't want bandages so I've been fighting the doctors to get to the cause. You know?
  13. plates

plates Well-Known Member

yeah i know. trying to get to the cause can be a lot of effort and hard work on your part when, like you say you're fighting doctors who think you're too young to be going through the hell you go through.
  14. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I can barely get out of bed just before, during and slightly after my period so those 10 days are absolute HELL! But I am depressed the other 20 days of the month so I know it's just me overthinking everything and making it worse. It's like having a broken leg and then having someone kick it for a few days each month. Just makes it more and more painful.
  15. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Yes, the days around ovaluation (right now) are HORRIBLE ): I often feel more suicidal and Im constantly crying
  16. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

Yes I think so. Irritated before, and when late it's worse.
  17. Disappear

Disappear Well-Known Member

Yes. The week leading up to mine is the worst. There's actually a 'syndrome' or name for it, I don't know if I have that though....but there is definitely a correlation between my low moods and the cycle.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.