Does the summer/inactivity make it worse?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Frank Smith, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

I am 20 abd this summer I am almost literally falling apart. I feel pathetic, like a loser because I have not got a job, running out of money and so on. Then I think about how I chose the wrong university, degree and how I am going to finish with little career prospects.

This stuff has always been on my mind but this summer I have had very little to do and I am constantly thinking about it. Yesterday I had a job interview for a company I have worked with before. I knew what the role play was all going to be about but I flopped it.

I have a job which starts in September, but today I find out it's low pay and I am basically not doing what I expected to do.

Then I see my friend, 17, getting his own council flat, getting the job I applied and earning more money than me and for some reason this seriously annoys me. I am losing it, that's the only way to put it.

Never been a happy person in recent years, but it was only a couple years ago I had a good job, making good friends, being promoted and so on and that has literally all gone.

Sorry, needed to get this stuff of my chest.
  2. xan

xan Chat Buddy

Yeah, I hate not having anything to do... the job market seriously sucks and I don't get back to uni till October... Just need to get through August though yeah?
  3. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I left my last job in may to start a new job in september, i had big plans for my time off, and i havent done anything.
  4. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

Inactivity certainly does make things worse for me. Having an activity to distract leaves less time for ruminating (and at least for me makes me feel more useful).

My psychiatrist said that bipolar patients tend to be worse off in the summer, I'm not sure of your diagnosis but maybe its the same for others?
  5. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

HELL YES!!!!! I've hated summer for as long as I can remember. It's like I suffer through late spring to October. The heat, the sun, the long long long days, the fact that all of the sudden people are everywhere, just coming out of the woodwork.

I get all Bah Humbug and can't stop being irritable.

My Dr. said something along those lines, about seasonal shift and circadian rhythms, something to do with the amount of light? maybe? but it's really great to hear it expressed by another BPD. I don't feel so weird about it anymore.

Oh and I have to wait until late September to go back to college too, and I quit my job last month, so I've been feeling pretty bad about myself. situationally and seasonally. i'm sorry you guys feel similarly.
  6. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I find the opposite happening... being out in the sun constantly and all the nice warm weather has improved my mood quite a bit :)
  7. Lina

Lina Member

Totally! I have been doing nothing this summer and as consequence I find it hard to even leave my room! These days I have been extra down. I start school in a week, so hopefully things get better and I'm able to find a job so I'll be so occupied I can't even think about being depressed.

I feel you, though. Hopefully everything will get better for you, don't worry pal. I'm here if you need to talk!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.