does this count as self harm?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by tyge18, Jan 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyge18

tyge18 Member

just wondering, sometimes when i am really angry, since i am not allowed to express my anger without fear of being beat i usually go into the bathroom and bite on my hand and scream and bang my head against the wall hoping to pass out.

it that self harm?

2. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

first off i would like to say welcome to sf. we're really glad you're here. i'm no doctor but i would say that is a definately form of self harm. might i encourage you to try different ways to take it out. i grew up in an enviroment totally similar to yours and i picked up the arts. whether it was drawing, singing, or writing just to name a few things. i just want to encourage you to look into it. i believe in you. i believe you can find safer ways to do this. if it doesn't happen right away i understand, but start with baby steps. it can happen. please talk as you need to. we'll listen to ya, and most importantly please take care. i look forward to seeing you around the forum.

3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, welcome to the forum.
    I'd say yes, that is a form of self harm. When did you start sh'ing? What triggers it?

4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum :hug:

yes that is a form of self harm...I'm sorry you're family doesnt allow you to get angry...its a natural emotion everyone has and you have every right to express it appropriately...

I can relate because with my dad I wasnt allowed to be angry, sad or upset, I would get ridiculed and grounded all the time...sometimes he would hit the walls, whatever was arround to scare me...

have you tried other alternative to express your anger?

5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Hell yes that is self harm, you would be arrested for doing it to another person because these are violent acts intended to inflict pain and harm.
    I am with the others in that I would like to know what triggers these episodes?
    Anger is a very complex emotion and said above there are appropriate ways to deal with it...hurting yourself is not one of them.
    That has been your way of coping thus far but it is time to find a new way and trust me there are many.
    I hope that you stick around and allow us to give you support and the benefit of what we have been through as you life does not have to be this way and I can get better if you want it to, we are here to help you and I for one give a damn.
    Take care, Bambi

6. tyge18

tyge18 Member

usually I am a pretty calm easy going person around people but because since my family moved into a three bedroom apartment it is cramped here and my mom had the great idea that I (the only teenage girl in the house) would have to sleep on the pull out while my two brothers who are only a year apart in age get their own room and she gets hers.

so I dont have much privacy, any sound or smell (the people downstairs smoke pot constantly) and I always keep a fan near my moms room since she smokes cigarettes alot..not that it helps with the smell, I have the fan in the window and its barely 12 degrees right now. basically anything that is frustrating to me I guess..esp. when people come to stay over for the night and I have even less space or an even harder time sleeping..its been like this since we moved about 10 years ago and I am 18 now. basically my whole teen years I have had zero privacy.

I know those all seem like small complaints but I'd rather not get into the bigger issues as far as me wanting to kill myself goes. what triggers it is when I feel frustrated and anxious but I know that if I get angry infront of my mom she will either slam her door and ignore it, or hit me because of it.

7. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

wow I'm sorry life has been hard...

I can relate to the no privacy because at my moms I had a room, but it had a wall missing between my mom's room and my room and I had two door opening on the other walls that had no doors...so basically anyone could see into my room...when your little it doesnt really matter but when your in your teens that is pretty annoying, I mean I got to change in a hurry in fear that someone might see me...I can't really listen to music or anything because it bothered my mom...it was pretty bad...

but your 18 now, have you thought of getting a job and moving out?

8. tyge18

tyge18 Member

I just turned 18 so I am still in my last year of high school. plus I dont plan on living much longer as it is. it doesnt really matter what annoys me now I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.