Does this piss anyone else off?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by wheresmysheep, Apr 17, 2009.

1. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

When i'm in therapy, or with a doctor, they always end the session with "so how do you feel now? are you planning to harm yourself?"

this pisses me right off!
    like even if i was planning something why would i tell them. also i tend to live moment to moment due to the whole not wanting to live, so i dont know how i will feel one moent to the next, so how will i know if i will harm or attempt between seeing them??

it just annoys the hell out of me
  2. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you doesn't make sense. It always confuses me when they say things like that, I can never fully express what I think. It just shows their ignorance on what being suicidal actually is, or feels like.
  3. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I had one ask me if I was feeling suicidal right at the moment. What did she expect to me to suddenly grab a razor blade out of my bag and start slashing. I told I was not about run out in front of a train and she says "thats good".
  4. wheresmysheep

yeah! thats what i mean, like i am never suicidal at the moment they ask, doesnt mean i dont get suicidal.. god it annoys me
  5. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Sometimes she asks me straigt out and sometimes she asks in a round about manner, like "you'll be back, right?" Maybe it's some kind of legal issue or a moral one for them. So that they're off the hook in case they get that call from one of our loved ones.
  6. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

You hit the nail on the head hun. Your feelings/thoughts/impulses can change quite a few times between appts.

Sometimes I think you're damned if you do & damned if you don't when it comes to telling them.

My GP is forever asking me if I know the difference between thoughts of harming myself & thoughts of killing myself - cos apparently they are 2 different things :wallbash:.
  7. wheresmysheep

but its not really that different. for instance if i was having strong suicidial thoughts i would reach out for SHing things before atempting as its not a perminant state, but the pain helps.
    so they arent completely seperate.
    i wish we could tell them how it really was
    i wonder how many of them are suicidial. they shopuld write a paper on it for their fellow professional
  8. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Suicidal feelings are commonplace for us, but the majority of people -- psychiatrists included -- have no comprehension of the impulse whatsoever. I only feel comfortable talking to a psychiatrist who has gone through what I'm going through because of this. I read a great article on how ill-prepared the majority of psychiatrists are when dealing with suicidal patients. Most don't want the burden so they just pass you off as soon as possible. Pills or hospitalization.

I think it's incredibly important to make sure your gp or psychiatrist is comfortable dealing with suicide. If they're not (and responsible) they should recommend somebody else.
  9. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

Actually I tell the psych oh by the way I had another go at it during the week, she just says well thats not good, are you sure you don't want to try some anti-depressants. She says if you are feeling low, you can always call here, (meaning the hospital's after hours number), I then say, can I call anonymously she says "no", I then say, what will happen then, she says "we will get you to come in", I then say "oh well I definately will not be calling then".

Or she might say if you are feeling really low, then she pauses, and I just say "so I just go ahead and do it then", she says "oh don't do that to us".

I told her that I get support from message boards, but don't tell her which ones. Then she asked if I discuss things on the board that I don't discuss with her, I told her "yes I do". I mean you can't always discuss things with someone who has not walked in your shoes.
  10. wheresmysheep

before this help i got, i thought the health system was bad, but now i am thinking its even worse. it left me feeling like a statistic and hopeless.

its fucked up seriously
  11. Vitreledonellidae

Vitreledonellidae Well-Known Member

seriously youre all fucked up, those people actually really want to help you. Youre all just to damn stubborn to see it, thinking its respectless, fucked up, what ever you think. I know the questions they ask can be stupid, but what youre all doing is even more stupid. Im sure if they only say bye at the end, you all would react so ridiculous too. Its never good enough, because you dont wanna feel good. Be glad you all at least got some help
  12. wheresmysheep

thats not true hun, all i am saying is that it is annoying, its just something i want to vent about, and saying that i as a suicidal person would not answer them if i were planning something as i feel it would be a lie to say yes to them in that i am just looking for attention.
    i dont understand why you are angry. i really dont.
    i just dont know. sorry i feel like this i suppose:mellow:
  13. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I've never been asked how I was feeling in therapy... Not only do they realise there's no simple answer, but they can usually read me reasonably well.

Something close to the suicide question does come up.. But they don't ask, they just provide alternatives if they can find them, such as hospital visits
  14. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

:blink: overreact much?

Just because they want to help doesn't mean they can help in regards to overriding ingrained social taboos like those surrounding suicide and self-harm. I'd like to help somebody not amputate parts of their body, but I wouldn't say I could help them since I have no empirical or emotional understanding of what makes some people want to lop off their ear. Wanting to help is very different from helping, and when "wanting" to help comes with a $100 per session fee, it's acceptable to be critical.

The fact of the matter is, most psychiatrists are not prepared to handle suicidal patients. They can help you with sexuality issues, gender issues, phobias and anxieties, but they aren't ready to deal with suicide. It's important to get a psychiatrist who understands what suicidal and self-injury impulses are from something besides a clinical perspective. Otherwise the patient realizes that the clinician has no idea what they're talking about and then they no longer trust the doctor. Session failed.

And most clinicians DO get tired of listening to their patients with the same problems day after day. There's plenty of resources for psychiatrists that are dealing with negative emotional transference; "helpless" patients often make psychiatrist feel insecure about their ability to help and they negatively view the patient because of it.
  15. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Hmm I don't know if it would piss me off or not because I have never experienced it. I don't understand how anybody can attempt to be a therapist though and I don't know what I would say at the end of a meeting if I was one. I don't know why anybody would ever take that job.