Does this punishment fit the crime?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by nicesinging1, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

Hello. I recently read the above article about car accident which made me ponder and think deeply about life and how one stupid mistake can indeed impact you and people around you for lifetime. There were number of thoughts that were provoked by reading this article and I would like to ask u guys for some insights. My Qs for you guys is two-fold.

1. Do you believe the punishment fits the crime? I think the real punishment he is enduring is not the jailtime he served but rather the guilts, depression, memories, and traumas he has to live with every day. We all made mistakes and did stupid things when we were young. Does 1 night of stupid mistakes warrant 60, 70 years of guilts, nightmares, trauma, and depression?

2. Do you think the Heaven/God/Creator is rather harsh on this kid for letting him live through lifetime of guilts, pains and sufferings instead of small mistakes like getting caught by cop for speeding and learning from it? I for one never sped or drove drunk. But I know friends who said they made pretty dumb, some dangerous mistakes in their life and came out of it unscathed. E.g driving high, driving drunk after parties, etc... Why was this kid picked to endure lifetime of sufferings for his fatal mistakes while there are many people who escaped their teenage mistakes unscathed?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

-Hank-

2. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

1) I don't think the kid deserves to have that guilt for the rest of his life. The only mistake I see him making is continuing to drive instead of just stopping. But that's the problem with our society. We are so quick to punish that people end up making bigger mistakes because they fear the consequences of smaller ones. How many times have we all heard stories that end in tragedy but started with the fact that the person was too scared of the punishment for something else (i.e. My parents are going to kill me). The kid did make a mistake but from this story I don't see how he really made anything else happen. It was a number of coincidences that led to the accident. The bottle just happened to hit another car, that car had an asshole in it who chased them, the kids brakes went out and instead of an open area being there, there was a tree.
    I hope that all of them go on to live as normal lives as they can and simply use this experience to build their lives (learn from it) instead of letting it destroy their lives anymore than it already has.

2) God or whatever you want to call it had nothing to do with any of this. He didn't make any of it happen and isn't putting the blame on anyone either. We create our own problems, we solve some of our problems and we are the ones that assign the idea and feeling of guilt. Stop looking somewhere else and start realizing that ultimately you are the only one that can influence your life.

3. I don't blame God.

4. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

No, but unfortunately our winds are programmed this way for some reason. I don't think the kid did anything so terrible, he certainly didn't intend to harm anybody. Hopefully he gets over it someday.

For question #2: God doesn't exist so it's a moot point. It was random chance that caused one kid to get crippled and the other to die. Religious folk will tell you that everything is in God's plan, but the only reason this happened is because teenagers are reckless. How could you look at this situation and see the hand of God anywhere? If God does control these situations, then he is a sadistic maniac.

5. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

1) no.

2) not really a good idea for me to comment about God due to my former involvement in religion ..

this person was unlucky, there are several people in England for a start who drive at stupid speeds thinking they are driving safe that could easily have caused an accident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.