Does your family know how bad off you are?

Hi .... for those of you who are suicidal however not attempted, does your family know of your mental illness and the severity of it? If I hurt myself, my family would be shocked as none other than my husband know that I have been in a bad place mentally but even he would be shocked as I have put on a real good act for 3 years....traveling, etc....while at the same time wanting to exit.

Sad Elf

Hi,

No my friends and family have no idea. I am the joker in a group. Whilst my OCD is an obvious sign I am not right, people have no idea how bad I really am

Elf

PrincessPure

If they are supportive why not tell them? My family is not too aware. I went to see my therapist 9 or 10 months ago so yea, they think I am usually doing well and have no idea I struggle daily.

WolfGoddess

My friends (close friends) all know, but not my family, I'm not really close to them. I also talk about it more openly in professional settings (i've even shared it with a few people who I do therapy for)

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
Before my first attempt I didn't tell anyone. It came totally out of the blue for everyone else but me.
Looking back I wish I'd told them. My friends have been such a huge support to me since and I know I can call them or turn up on their doorstep at any time of the day or night (which I have done).

Holding my breath

SF Pro
SF Supporter
Wow. This is eye opening. I’m the same as @WolfGoddess A few select people know, my therapist and anyone who I’ve recently had an assessment with, a friend of mine (although it doesn’t go down too well!) and my boss. Strange choice but he’s lovey and caring and I trust him. But no, my family have no idea. How do you tell your husband or grown up children that you want to leave them? It’s like telling them you don’t love them enough to stay. Interesting that @Sunspots wished they’d told earlier though. Is it bad to say I wish I could say I’d attempted? (Sorry)

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I think I have the opposite problem. I'm not suicidal but I imagine my friends and family think I may be / might be / could be / whatever. They know I'm here hanging round this place so the pieces would fit, right? So I think they would all be like "oh yeah, that makes sense.."

HappyKitty

Works during the day, doodles at night.
No my true family and friends does not know one bit about my deep struggles, they will only know the surface of it. They don't even know why I took the meds in the fuckin first place. I vowed to myself, I will take care of myself when I started meds cause when I struggle and even though some took care of me, I still don't see shit that they actually care and up till this day, I'm traumatised as fuck by it. If you must know, no one ever took me seriously in the first place.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Some people know I'm in a bad way mentally; others think I'm just making it up or being lazy and irresponsible, or seeking attention, etc. So the latter would probably be shocked.

Just recently my best friends found out that I’ve been suicidal and self harming, so they wouldn’t be surprised rn. But my family, my parents and my brother and everyone else, they would be shocked. Only my brother knows I’m struggling with mental health at all, and he doesn’t know how bad it is. My parents know nothing.

Lac49

My family knows and would not be shocked. They kind of blow it off and say things will be better after this or that. No one has went out of their way to help or visit even though we all have a good relationship. I think people are too tied up in their own lives to do much.

People don't know how it feels to feel totally hopeless and have crushing depression unless they have been there themselves.

I guess they think I've been this way so many years that I will be ok. I make sure to go out of my way to help anyone whose down, pick up any trash I see, push shopping carts into the store etc. I don't want anyone feeling like I do and me pushing a cart in might make that employee whose depressed day a little easier.

Last edited:

Lac49

I think I have the opposite problem. I'm not suicidal but I imagine my friends and family think I may be / might be / could be / whatever. They know I'm here hanging round this place so the pieces would fit, right? So I think they would all be like "oh yeah, that makes sense.."
Same here, i don't think mine would be shocked.

Auri

🎸🎶Metal Star🎵🥁
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Absolutely not. They only see what I really can't hide, like the fact that I don't work, or physical symptoms. Those who know a tiny bit more do so by guessing/being smart. My parents know more because it's harder to hide from them, but it's the tip of the iceberg and they can't even understand just that anyway.
I told two of my friends about suicidal stuff "so someone knows", but stayed pretty vague (and I'm okay with that).
That being said, I've been getting better in the last year (not actively suicidal anymore), so it's useless I tell anything now.

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Some people know I'm in a bad way mentally; others think I'm just making it up or being lazy and irresponsible, or seeking attention, etc. So the latter would probably be shocked.
Basically this.

I've reached a point where there's no hiding it. There are some who just won't believe anything but the worst of me, no matter what so, yeah, they tend to assume I'm malingering out of laziness. There are a few who do seem to get it, though maybe not the extent of it.

Aurelia

🔥 A Fire Inside 🔥
SF Supporter
Basically this.

I've reached a point where there's no hiding it. There are some who just won't believe anything but the worst of me, no matter what so, yeah, they tend to assume I'm malingering out of laziness. There are a few who do seem to get it, though maybe not the extent of it.
You have physical problems too, though. How can they think you're being lazy?

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00