Dog depression

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Hurted, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Ok.. first of all, im not making fun out of anybody, but i think tha my dog got depression... I dont know how long, but i start to notice that he is different in last few months... he is sad lot of time, he just sit all the time...
    Also he is much more angry... And he wants to go for a walk every 20 minutes...:(
    Any advice what to do? Does dog depression even exist?
  2. carol2237

carol2237 Guest

Yes, animals can become depressed. This is normal when something they are used to stops happening, like if you stop playing with them or walking them or what not... And to "treat" it, try getting a new toy, or their favorite treat, or walking them more often.

3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Ok... thanks for answer... I dont think that anything has changed...
  4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

Animals certainly can become depressed. THey have feelings too and can feel sad to the point of depression. Lots of attention will help.:dog:
  5. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

I won't believe it <Mod Edit - inappropriate>
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I suppose animals can get depressed. They also age. As they get older, dogs tend to lay around more. Especially if they have nothing better to do.

Assuming your dog isn't sick, it might just be normal. As others say, try to play with him more and see if it helps. Most dogs love to play.

And the funny thing is that some dogs are smarter than other dogs. And believe it or not, smart dogs get bored more easily than dogs that aren't as smart. This is why some dogs will be content for hours playing with an old sneaker and some require constant companionship with people.
  7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

He probably just needs to get laid... :wink:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2008
  8. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Reading this reminded me of a Frasier episode, unfortunately I can't find the video of it but here's a section of it. The episode was about Martin thinking his dog Eddie having depression. Martin's sons, Niles & Frasier are psychiatrists and laugh at the idea of it. Of course, this is just a comedy humour and isn't serious but thought I'd post it anyway:

Personally, I don't see why a dog can't get depression. If the dog is deprived or being abused in some way I don't why a dog can't get depression just like the rest of us.
  9. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Dogs often take after their owners, I find. :taunt: :dog:
  10. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

11. tarzan

tarzan Member

I believe so too! Dogs can play Wii too!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.