Domestic Violence... who is at fault?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by lightbeam, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I was arrested for a domestic violence incident that happened two years ago. I am fine now that the divorce is final, and everything is situated, and I am trying to live with my parents, since my ex has wiped me out emotionally, and financially.

However, I really do not know who was at fault.

You see, I was hallucinating the entire time, not through drug use or anything (I have schizoaffective disorder). I was on my way back to the mental hospital with my roommate, when I started hallucinating (I had been taken off my meds during the week before due to a bowel obstruction caused my one of the meds.). I saw two black cloaked persons and they told me to kill my family. I declined, rather harshly.

They came towards me, and they insisted or they would kill the roommate. I declined again. They then proceeded to kill my roommate right in front of me. I ran away from them after hitting one of them in the shoulder. I ran back to my house, and bolted the door. Somehow one of the figures got inside the house and shoved me against the door. I fought by shoving the figure against the wall.

I remember nothing else from that night.

Apparently, according to the police report, I kept saying 'I'm not going to kill them' repeatedly in the back of the police car.

I woke up in jail the next morning not knowing how I got there.

All I remember to this day is what happened that night.

Apparently the black figures were my roommate and wife.

So... who is at fault...? Me, or the roommate and wife?
  2. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

I honestly didnt think people could have such vivid hallucinations.

I wouldnt say it is a matter of fault. It defiantly was not your roommate or partner, nor yourself because of the mental instability you were going through. The only thing I can think of is that it was a matter of neglect as far as maintaining your medication. Not meaning that as a fault, more of a live and learn thing.
    The emotional issues you had with your ex might have helped mold the theme for your hallucinations, but I dont believe those issues should be considered in this instance. Itd boil down to not maintaining your medication by having adequte contingency plans for those types of situations that keep you from taking your meds.
    I hope no ones tried to put blame onto you :S You defiantly werent in the solid state of mind.
  3. lightbeam

I was weaned off the medication when I was in the hospital the week before this happened. They did a complete med flush on me, because the doctors didn't think it was an actual bowel 'obstruction'. They thought the muscle had seized instead.

I promptly called my wife and roommate when the hallucinations had started again whie I was at the hospital. So they knew I was having trouble at least a few days before this happened.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2010
  4. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Sorry if this reply is disjointed, my heads a bit off.
    So you were in a standard hospital and were weaned off the meds, then you began to hallucinate and called your partner and friend?
    Sounds like a series of unfortunate events that lead to an overload. It would have been better if you had told the doctors there that you were beginning to hallucinate, but at the sametime, they should have been monitoring you better and have known the side effects of weadning you off the meds.
    They should have been better prepared, I hope they've now made a note in your medical file in the event something similar happens in the future. Again it wasn't your fault. The moment someone else takes control of your medication, they assume the responsibility of you.
  5. Freud

Freud Member

Hallucinations can be so vivid (as real as reality), one can easily be confused what is a hallucination what is not.

And that's the biggest problem, that's why psychosis is defined as loosing contact with the reality and not being able to distinguish what is real and what not.
  6. lightbeam

I was to undergo drug screening and other stuff as part of my probation. What part of not on drugs do they not understand? I had a drug test when I moved to minimum security, and long and behold, it was clean. Why could they not have used that drug test to show that I was capable of hallucinating without the aid of drugs?

7. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

no one is at fault i think :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.