Donating Blood (possible trigger)

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by jaydee, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaydee

jaydee Member

I'm a self harmer. I cut myself a lot and have burnt myself as well, and a few other methods. I also donate blood at the red cross centre. I started off when I turned 18 (I left home when i was 16 and at the time the laws here said I couldn't donate without parental permission until 18 or I would have started earlier) with whole blood donations. I started to notice that after donating blood I always felt less depressed for the next day or so, similar to when I cut. For a while, I put it down to light headedness and stuff due to the loss of blood. But about a year ago, they asked if I wanted to be more helpful and donate plasma and/or platelets instead. After some investigation, I found out that instead of being limited to donating once every twelve weeks, I could donate a large amount of platelets every four weeks, and every two weeks inbetween I could donate plasma. At the time I wondered if the good feeling would go away but I decided to give it a go. I still get the same feeling which made me think it's probably more to do with the injury aspect of it.
    Does anyone else here self injure in this way? I figure it's a slightly better way because at least other people get something out of it.

2. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

that's interesting, when I do blood test, I always feel better afterwards...like lighter for some odd reason...maybe its similar to yours?

3. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

can't say i have, because i dont weigh enough to donate blood. but i can understand why you'd feel better after donating, because of all the blood loss and injury...

4. jaydee

jaydee Member

Yeah it sucks when I've lost too much weight too quickly for them to let me. And I thought at first it might be the blood loss, but when I'm doing platelets and plasma, they return the red blood cells to me so it avoids the light headedness, etc. I hate to think how I'd feel if they told me I could never donate again.

5. dnE ehT

dnE ehT Well-Known Member

I wish I was old enough. There's just something about the sensation of blood leaving the body that's magical.

6. Dubstepper

Dubstepper Staff Alumni

i donate whole or parts of blood now.. its my way of SH without the embarrasment to myself of SH. and i have to agree with you.. it relieves that "urge" for a while... i try to wait until my next donation date so that i have a chance to appreciate the "loss" if you will...

7. savetoniqht

savetoniqht Well-Known Member

I cant donate blood because of weight, anemia etc., but I totally get what you're saying because I feel the same after I get shots or blood drawn. It's like sh without the actual act of doing it yourself, so without the guilt.

8. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I was given to understand that in UK you can't donate blood until a year after your last self harm incident, which is why I haven't for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.