Don't Drink

Ok SF, I feel I know what I'm talking about on this one as I've had a lot of experience. Kids, my advice to you today is please don't drink in your life if you can avoid it, or unless you have to. And I say 'have to' because I know their are many reasons why people drink, good and bad, where sometimes it's a necessity more than a choice.

But unchecked mental illness and alcohol/substances will eventually backfire on you, and that's what I'm talking about. I'll put it like this, "Don't try to deal with one wrong by creating another one." Does that make sense? Much of my drinking when I was younger was because I grew up in an alcohol heavy environment, and I was very angry about my situation. I also had absolutely no coping skills or knowledge of how to deal with back then, so I went to alcohol. Drunk driving, smashing up cars, my face, broken stuff, missing stuff, tickets, foolish drunk actions, etc. That part of it was not worth it, I can assure you. I've had many great 'highs' and memories from alcohol, don't get me wrong. And I often say, I might be glad I did those things once at the time, but given the choice would not repeat myself. Trust me, the 'lows' you will get from trying to mask depression with booze can be hellish though. Life changing in a second, for the worse. You may not care about your life, but please consider others. I had to learn that, and although I've suffered much I know it could have been worse.

So, rather than sound like a hypocrite or something, if you want to go out and do something then go ahead. I'm just saying what happened to me. If you are going to drink, please stay away from hard liquor. You don't need to get that buzzed to have a good time, trust me. You'll just end up going into the 'stupid zone' where anything can happen then, most likely not being a good outcome for you. Also, if you are going to drink watch the kind of clients you surround yourself with, be aware there may be some bad intentions or temptations. Don't knowingly put yourself in a bad situation. Do you know what I mean by that? In other words, don't set yourself up for failure by chancing something that just isn't worth it. Well, I could go on and on about alcohol(mostly what not to do) but I think you get my point. This message is mostly for preventing alcohol abuse and dependency, not what to do if you're already addicted. That is something different I will save for another day, but I hope this is helpful to someone.

ShyGuy

I have some things to say too:

1) GAWD scotch is awful to me. My dad always tried making me sip his beer cans when I was just a kid. Then he started using all of my food stamps in exchange for getting me alcohol every week. And I felt concerned when he loudly said "I am a heavy drinker!!" about himself at a store once. Anyways, I feel sick every time that I stole my dad's scotch and drank it myself.

2) Even drinking regular beer can be kinda nasty to me if it's a weekend night and I'm trying to drink a bunch of beers quickly for the video games I'm playing. I got back into beer again a little bit when the incident happened last year on my birthday =\ where I told my old friend (internet Sensei person, as they told me they are in 2015) that I grew and changed and am doing a lot better now, but they said they "refuse to budge an inch" in regards to ending everything so I can move on, and then I became depressed and anxious and stopped self-caring and stopped quiting beer.

3) Yeah alcohol made both my older brother, and me, and my dad, and my mom do stupid things we regret. When I was a kid and my parents left for hours at a bar (and my brother locked himself in the computer room so that only he can use it) my mom would come home VERY drunk, always slapping my face around and asking me to fight as my dad drunkingly tells her to knock it off and then my mom would be in the living room puking in the bucket for awhile.

ShyGuy

Wow, yeah, f*** alcohol

I stole a cup of whiskey or scotch or something from my dad since he left for work, and I literally only had 1 sip, and even though half of the cup is soda, I seriously feel like puking uuuugh

I wanna understand why my dad loves alcohol so much and calls himself a heavy alcoholic.. So I sometimes steal a cup of his scotch, and... Yuck, it never goes well.. *continues to drink the drink but I feel so sick from it ugh but I wanna know why my dad loves drinking it everyday..*

Edit: OH GOSH, it tastes so bad!!!!!! I'm not gonna drink anymore of it, I can't even take a second sip. Uuuugh I poured a tall glass of half soda and half my dad's scotch for nothing..

Last edited:

Sane Man

Sane Possum
Wow, yeah, f*** alcohol

I stole a cup of whiskey or scotch or something from my dad since he left for work, and I literally only had 1 sip, and even though half of the cup is soda, I seriously feel like puking uuuugh

I wanna understand why my dad loves alcohol so much and calls himself a heavy alcoholic.. So I sometimes steal a cup of his scotch, and... Yuck, it never goes well.. *continues to drink the drink but I feel so sick from it ugh but I wanna know why my dad loves drinking it everyday..*

Edit: OH GOSH, it tastes so bad!!!!!! I'm not gonna drink anymore of it, I can't even take a second sip. Uuuugh I poured a tall glass of half soda and half my dad's scotch for nothing..
I'm sorry your parents abuse alcohol to the point you said around you. I highly look down on parents that do that. My dad was the one with the problem, but not my mother as I didn't have to deal with both.

You said you want to understand why your dad loves alcohol so much, and to that I say; No one loves/likes alcohol. What they 'love' is the temporary escape feeling that it gives you. Yes I'm not sure on your age but I've done the stealing booze from the dad thing. It didn't work out for me so well either

MosesY

Recovering Alcoholic
SF Supporter
I am a functioning alcoholic. This morning I am putting scotch in my coffee, so good. I will have 3 cups of coffee this morning, 3 shots of scotch before I go to work. I have a huge tolerance for alcohol. I can drink the 4th double before I am buzzed, and it takes 5 doubles to make me drunk. After work I normally drink 1 beer and 2 doubles of whisky.

I do not drink to get drunk; I drink for something to do, to relax, to socialize. I like drinking and it does not cause any problems.

I get the warning. I get the fact that alcohol is terrible if not use responsibly.

Lisa the Goatgirl

She's less of an enigma now
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I am a functioning alcoholic. This morning I am putting scotch in my coffee, so good. I will have 3 cups of coffee this morning, 3 shots of scotch before I go to work. I have a huge tolerance for alcohol. I can drink the 4th double before I am buzzed, and it takes 5 doubles to make me drunk. After work I normally drink 1 beer and 2 doubles of whisky.

I do not drink to get drunk; I drink for something to do, to relax, to socialize. I like drinking and it does not cause any problems.

I get the warning. I get the fact that alcohol is terrible if not use responsibly.
Dude, what?
No, just...
No.
Please say you don't drive at least.

MosesY

Recovering Alcoholic
SF Supporter
Dude, what?
No, just...
No.
Please say you don't drive at least.
I was born Amish. I was taught that it was my job to go around telling people they will go to hell if they drink, smoke, have stripes on their clothes, have a television, or drive a red car.

Now you are telling me not to drink. Next you will tell me I cannot have stripes on my clothes.

Lisa the Goatgirl

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I was born Amish. I was taught that it was my job to go around telling people they will go to hell if they drink, smoke, have stripes on their clothes, have a television, or drive a red car.

Now you are telling me not to drink. Next you will tell me I cannot have stripes on my clothes.
Dude, i'm not telling you not to drink. I'm not even giving you the talk on the issues with your previous statement, because i understand how pointless it would be. You're not going to want to admit to them just because i highlighted them, as evidenced by your reply putting words in my mouth i came nowhere near saying. All i'm gonna say is that even with the basic therapist training i have, that prior statement caused me, like, physical levels of pain to read. And i sincerely sincere hope that you don't drive with that much alcohol in your system. That's all i'm contributing here. Nothing else.

LonelyHiker

Incidental aka FairWeatherâ„¢
SF Supporter

If you are drinking the equivalent of 8 units of alcohol a day, it will definitely cause health problems in the long run, most likely liver disease, cirrhosis and cardiomyopathy. This is not me lecturing you, only stating proven scientific facts. But do as you will...

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Now you are telling me not to drink.
He didn't tell you not to drink, he said "tell me you're not driving". Which you said you are drinking then going to work which would lead most people to think you are intending to drive. Which is right up there in some of the shittiest behaviours, (drinking and driving) I think people can universally agree.

Lisa the Goatgirl

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I believe anyone who drives with a blood alcohol level of .08% or higher should be put to death.
As Walker highlights, you can continue to draw these lines and act like you don't have a problem at all so long as you don't cross them, but i think in truth, somewhere inside you, you know that's total bullshit just the same as the rest of us, no matter how hard you try to deny it.
Also, saying they should be put to death is kinda overkill. Saying it's atrocious behaviour that deserves ire is one thing, calling for the death penalty is another matter entirely.

MosesY

Recovering Alcoholic
SF Supporter
As Walker highlights, you can continue to draw these lines and act like you don't have a problem at all so long as you don't cross them, but i think in truth, somewhere inside you, you know that's total bullshit just the same as the rest of us, no matter how hard you try to deny it.
Also, saying they should be put to death is kinda overkill. Saying it's atrocious behaviour that deserves ire is one thing, calling for the death penalty is another matter entirely.
I was following an impaired driver one time. I dialed 911 (using my phone while driving, which is worse than driving drunk.) I believe anyone who uses their phone while driving is more impaired than a drunk driver. You might think you don't have a problem but somewhere inside you know it impairs your driving. I dialed 911 and told them exactly where I was at and they did nothing. I followed that car for 20 miles and they never sent a policeman.

MosesY

Recovering Alcoholic
SF Supporter
Ok SF, I feel I know what I'm talking about on this one as I've had a lot of experience. Kids, my advice to you today is please don't drink in your life if you can avoid it, or unless you have to. And I say 'have to' because I know their are many reasons why people drink, good and bad, where sometimes it's a necessity more than a choice.

But unchecked mental illness and alcohol/substances will eventually backfire on you, and that's what I'm talking about. I'll put it like this, "Don't try to deal with one wrong by creating another one." Does that make sense? Much of my drinking when I was younger was because I grew up in an alcohol heavy environment, and I was very angry about my situation. I also had absolutely no coping skills or knowledge of how to deal with back then, so I went to alcohol. Drunk driving, smashing up cars, my face, broken stuff, missing stuff, tickets, foolish drunk actions, etc. That part of it was not worth it, I can assure you. I've had many great 'highs' and memories from alcohol, don't get me wrong. And I often say, I might be glad I did those things once at the time, but given the choice would not repeat myself. Trust me, the 'lows' you will get from trying to mask depression with booze can be hellish though. Life changing in a second, for the worse. You may not care about your life, but please consider others. I had to learn that, and although I've suffered much I know it could have been worse.

So, rather than sound like a hypocrite or something, if you want to go out and do something then go ahead. I'm just saying what happened to me. If you are going to drink, please stay away from hard liquor. You don't need to get that buzzed to have a good time, trust me. You'll just end up going into the 'stupid zone' where anything can happen then, most likely not being a good outcome for you. Also, if you are going to drink watch the kind of clients you surround yourself with, be aware there may be some bad intentions or temptations. Don't knowingly put yourself in a bad situation. Do you know what I mean by that? In other words, don't set yourself up for failure by chancing something that just isn't worth it. Well, I could go on and on about alcohol(mostly what not to do) but I think you get my point. This message is mostly for preventing alcohol abuse and dependency, not what to do if you're already addicted. That is something different I will save for another day, but I hope this is helpful to someone.
Here is someone telling people not to use alcohol unless they "have to". Nobody needs to use alcohol; it is a choice. Here he admits to driving drunk, smashing up cars, and yet tells other people not to do that. That is hypocrisy. I have never driven drunk. I have never even gotten a speeding ticket. I am 53 years old and have never gotten a speeding ticket. I have never used any illegal drugs. Many of you have smoked marijuana and driven high, and yet you are preaching to me who has never driven drunk and never used any illegal drugs. Because I say I drink you assume I am an evil person. I have a breathalizer here in my desk drawer; I can check my blood alcohol content before I drive. You just assume I use alcohol irresposibly because I admit to drinking alcohol and you want to control me and tell me not to do that. There is no mention of using phones while you drive or messing with the stereo while you drive. I don't listen to music while I drive because I know that would impair my driving. Last year I was rear ended by a man who was texting while he was driving. There was a traffic jam, he was looking at his phone, and hit my car going 30 miles per hour. His insurance company would not let me get quotes to fix my car. I inherited that car from my dad, it means a lot to me. He did $2000 damage to my car and his insurance company gave me $800. I think anyone who uses there phone or listens to music while driving should be put to death. This thread was started by a man who drove drunk. Think about that. What kind of person does that?

MosesY

Recovering Alcoholic
SF Supporter
Here is another post trying to control me and tell me what to do. He states that I know I have a problem and am just denying it. The only problem I have right now is holier than thou hypocrites. In the past they used to get drunk and drive. They used illegal drugs. They abused their wife. Perhaps some of them are pedophiles. They use their phone and listen to music while they are driving. One of them admits to getting drunk and driving, smashing up cars. And yet you are telling me I have a problem because I drink some. You are telling me I know I have a problem and am just denying it. You are trying to make me feel guilty for drinking alcohol. I hate people who do that. I was raised with that kind of ignorant control. I was not allowed to have stripes on my clothes. I tell you what; if I ever get drunk and drive I will return to this post and apologize to all of you. You just assume I am a terrible person and yet I have never driven drunk, I have never used any illegal drugs, I do not listen to music or use my phone while I drive, I have never even gotten a speeding ticket.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited

Good advice. My drinking problem arrived late in life, that's probably why I've never had any serious problems like violence and drunk driving. Literally the only thing I do while drunk is post music videos online and send people dumb whatsapp messages. But I still beat myself up over it for the whole rest of the week. Alcohol has to be one of the worst, if not the absolute worst thing for depression.

LOSTINSIGHT

5.5 years sober myself and im shocked how im still alive ,never caused much trouble other than to myself ,,ive nothing because of my addictive nature ,Alcohol was my anxiety medication ,i didnt even realise this until i gave it up in my 30s.if there was a party function at 8 ide be out from 5 or even 2pm ,,im getting excited just writing this,yikes
.i was more a binge drinker ,had many days or weeks without it but the going to work drunk after sleepless nights left its mark ,ive PTSD because of it .
cheers sane *shake

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00