Don't know what to do, advice?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by caspar, Dec 2, 2015.

1. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

I have an appointment to see the psychiatrist next week, the thing is I really don't want to go. See, every time I have seen a psychiatrist at this particular clinic, they don't seem to care about what I'm going through, even when I'm in a bit of a state, and tell them as much. They always write out the same prescription (anti depressant prescribed by former doctor at another place). Basically after leaving every appoitnment I've had there in tears or very upset because they never listen or care, I don't want to go back anymore. There really is no point and it's a waste of everyone's time, when they only say to me, keep going with therapy. So I said this to my psychologist, but she said I have to see the psychiatrist every 3 months or so to continue to attend psychology. I really want to continue with the psychology so now I don't know what to do.

I know it must seem like an easy decision from the outset, but I was completely adamant that I would never see the psychiatrist there again. Every fibre in me says not to attend next week. I need to listen to myself on this one but now it doesn't seem like I have a choice. I'm not even sure what I will do if I do attend the psychiatry appointment. I can tell them that I've been feeling really depressed of late, but I can almost guarantee from past experience that they will not change my medication at all, even though I feel depressed all the time. Lfe isn't even going too badly but I still feel down. They will just nod and smile and write out the same prescription, then I will get upset as usual. My other option is to go there and refuse to answer questions. May seem childish but I am being forced into this against my will and I have let my feelings known. I spoke to my gp today and she said to tell them how I was feeling (she thinks I should have a change in meds herself). But she doesn't know the whole story so I don't know.

What can I do? I can't take what I'm going through being ignored or diminished again. I literally can't take it.

2. Purple_Thorn

Purple_Thorn Well-Known Member

There's always the option of finding a new psychiatrist, maybe at the same clinic.
    One of the things that I do is write out everything I need to bring up with my psychiatrist. I write down the meds and what I want to do with them and the reasons why. I write down everything I need my doctor to know. I also walk into the appointment and before we even start anything I'll ask for an up in dosage of whatever medication I want. Today, I actually walked into a new psychiatry appointment and one of the first things I said was, "I need to up the dosage of my Celexa." Because my depression hasn't gotten better.
    Previously, if a doctor hasn't listened to me, I've told them. It's my (your) life and I (me) need to take control of it. And if the doctor isn't listening, then say so.
    If you can find a new psychiatrist, then use that. And tell the new psychiatrist why you've decided to change doctor's. If you can't find one, then tell this doctor the truth. And be pushy. And show emotions. Cry and yell. Push for yourself. Be your own advocate. And if you are scared about that, then bring someone who can advocate for you.
    It's your life, your body, your emotions, and your medications. Take control.

2 people like this.
  3. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately my treatment is not private so I can't choose my doctor, I may ask my psychologist if I can see a different doctor to the one I saw the last time, but I think you generally see who's there that day. I have asked for an increase in my anti depressant before and I was straight out told no. I have used emotions before, I have cried my eyes out the last two times I saw a psychologist, I begged for a change in meds, I cried, I got angry, I told them I felt that they weren't listening and didn't care. And they still wrote out the same prescription. So that's why I don't want to go back, can you blame me? I'm just being left to suffer indefinitely and it's so painful.

4. Purple_Thorn

Purple_Thorn Well-Known Member

Damn. That really sucks. Personally, I wouldn't trust them either. If you have a family doctor, you can try and go there. I would really try anything possible. The doctor isn't taking care of you and that isn't fair.

5. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

Yes I went to my gp (family doctor) but you see she can't interfere if I'm under a psychiatrist. And I have to keep on seeing the psychiatrist to be able to see the psychologist. Thank you for understanding.

6. Hey Casper. Hope you're doing well! I would definitely be in search of a different psychiatrist. One that will better devote their time to you and your needs. After all that's what they went to school for. Any doctor can write a prescription. But that shouldn't be the first or only help for you by their clinic. I wish you luck with better direction.

7. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that's not an option (public health service). Thank you for your empathy! I had a lovely doctor before but I moved and now I can't see her anymore :( I've been thinking, what is it about me that means they don't want to help me? Is there something wrong with me?

At the moment I'm thinking I'm not going to go. I just don't think I can take it. I know it seems stupid but I really don't think I can take it again.

8. Trust me hun. Their negligence to help you is not your fault! And truly maybe they are just not experienced in dealing with your particular case. But I'd truly look into finding other help. I understand you don't have private insurance but you can possibly go to a family doctor that'll be your compass and direct you to someone that'll take the time and help. Best wishes to ya. XO

2 people like this.