dont know why im suddenly so self conscious

Discussion in 'Appearance and Body Image' started by beth14, Jan 21, 2018.

1. beth14

beth14 Public Access

so I was looking through my photos on my phone the other day with my friend and she kept asking me why there were none of me. I literally have none with me in at all. I thought about it and realised that its because I cannot bear to look at myself on a screen. You can look in a mirror and hate your appearance but you can walk away and change it. But in a picture that's how you looked full stop. I hate photos of me so much. I've suddenly become so self conscious and I don't know why. I've stopped eating when I'm at school and am constantly weighing myself. Just dont know what to do coz I hate myself so much.
    Cagla likes this.
  2. Kiwi2016

Kiwi2016 Forum Pro

I am so sorry that you are feeling this way about yourself. Are you able to talk to your parents, the school counselor about it? I am glad you found SF as here you will find everone to be so supportive
  3. beth14

beth14 Public Access

well I also have social anxiety so I worry about telling people about it.
  4. littlelucy

littlelucy Well-Known Member

I understand what you mean. Like, you can't undo a photo once it's already taken, and then it's stuck there forever. I don't take pictures of myself either. It sucks to feel like you have to constantly weigh yourself and not eat. Maybe try eating again and keep reminding yourself that eating is self care and healthy and you deserve food. Eating something healthier might help you feel better about it.
    Cagla likes this.
  5. beth14

beth14 Public Access

thankyou I'll try that
  6. Kira

Kira Can't PM on phone... Sorry :( Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

Hi Beth :) I'm pretty sure that your school would have a counselor to talk to. I know you said that you have difficulty talking about it but that's what they're there for.

You won't be the first or last teen that they'll see about this issue. Remember that counselors are there to help not judge. They understand what it's like to be a teen struggling with eating/self-esteem issues. I'm sure you'll find that there are many other teens going through the same issue but because everyone hides it so well, you can't see it.

Please reach out for some real life help. You deserve it. We'll always be here to support you too. Take care :)
    Cagla likes this.