Don't Mess With Texas

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Zurkhardo, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Let's face it: you think Texas, and you think cowboys, capital punishment, and conservativism (probably George Bush too). We forget just how complex - and increasingly cosmopolitan - America's largest state really is.

Who would've thought, with these stereotypes in mind, that a Texas city would elect the first openly gay mayor in American history. I'm speaking of Houston, the US's 4th largest city, and of Annise Parker, a open Lesbian who won over her (black) opponent. She is also the only women to lead one of the country's 10 largest cities.

Of course, for anyone that knows Houston, this isn't that surprising. It has the largest Nigerian community in the country, as well as one of the largest Indian and Pakistan ones too. Two Chinatowns and a Hispanic community of 40% further reinforce it's multiculturalism. Heck, over 90 languages are spoken within it's city limits, and, go figure, it has one of the largest Gay and Lesbian communities as well.

What's remarkable is that her sexuality was never even really brought up during the campaign. Truly, we should give Texas - and America - a lot more credit than we do. It's not a massive step, but it's certainly something Texans - so used to their 'hardliner' identity - should be proud of.
  2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Touche. When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of "cowboys, capital punishment, and conservativism". Good for them for being open to things! (Though I'm curious whether there's a lot of people working on plans to leave the state now that there's a gay mayor in place)
  3. Zurkhardo

Haha, I must admit, that's what often comes to mind for me too :p And you make a good inquiry: there's no precedent for there being an openly gay official in a conservative state, so there's no telling the reactions. So far, from what I've seen at least, there's been no dramatic reporting on the matter or public protest. Most Texan cities are remarkably liberal and cosmopolitan, and the rural bastions of rightism have likely long kept apart from them.
  4. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Not the homaserkshuls!

They's takin' over tha world!

But really, I'm glad it's not a big deal. Hope it stays that way.
  5. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Must be some kind of anomaly!!!!!!! :laugh: probably those outside of that jurisdiction don't really care or haven't found out yet...the local KKK must be working on something as we speak! :smug:
  6. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

That is great. :)
  7. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Where I live in Texas (the panhandle) the ignorant, arrogant, racist, homophoebic, comments run wild. I mean seriously I live in this small little town and people walk out of the only gas station here and call this black guy the N* word as his name. So I guess it where you live. Also the opionion section of the newspaper wow.....
  8. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Yea, it depends on where you are in Texas. I live in Ft Worth, so the racism and homophobia isn't as obvious here, but I also spent time in a small town in east Texas. Wow... very different. My next door neighbors were the skin head type. The husband said the n word all the time. He brought it up with everything. They think Obama is a communist. I don't think I'll be the same after meeting them. There's a difference between watching something on the history channel about racism or skin heads or something but when you actually live near those people and listen to them speak about it daily... it's just different. It's so sick, but in Texas, that's just the kind of people you'll meet a lot of times and you might not even realize it at first. Even in larger cities, it's still there. You can still very much tell you are in a conservative state. Though a lot of times, they are generally more liberal. Dallas, Houston, and Austin mainly. But travel outside the major cities, and you'll be hit with a brick by how most of Texas really thinks.
  9. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Ill still never forgive them for bush or tom delay or rick perry or any of the other demons that have managed to spawn in that state
  10. Zurkhardo

The election of a gay mayor doesn't invalidate the ignorance that is undeniable in much of the state. But it does dispel an unjust stereotype that <i>all</i> or even most Texans are such. In fact, based on electoral results from the last presidential election, Texas was more or less split evenly between Democrats and Republicans.

So the homophobes and bigots are less and less prominent, especially as more immigrants - as well internal migrants from the liberal coasts - start to move there by the thousands.

And Bob, you can't seriously blame all Texans for the some of their unsavory individuals, no more than you can hold all Germans into account for Hitler or all Americans for the crimes against Native Americans.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.