Don't understand this life...

Layna

So many cruel people out there. I'm not saying I'm perfect but I certainly have a conscious. I just can't cope with the level of cruelty in this world. It's getting too much. I'm told to brush it off or act like it's normal. Everything just seems so superficial these days. I feel like nobody is genuine.

I think the pandemic really divided people and made us aware of our deep ideological differences. We are all individuals, not ideologies.

As someone who has always lived in a big city, I don't find people cruel, just suspicious. There are a lot of users out there and some people have been used many times and put up a shell around themselves, and understandably so. Women for instance - when I was young I sure got tired of every guy thinking I owed him a smile or a conversation just because I'm female. They don't understand it is predatory - they wouldn't tell another guy to smile or risk getting their teeth punched in.

So, I guess I wonder what you mean by cruelty? Does it just mean people seem cold, or are you talking about stories from the news?

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
The news reports cruelty in this world because that cruelty is unusual and shocks us. If a kid get stabbed it's a big headline and people say "oh how terrible, how cruel" and that's surely so much better than people saying "so what?, That's just how things are."

JDot

remember to drink plenty of water
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
It seems the majority of people are just plain terrible in this world. I think we have to find the few good people in the world and stick close to them.

It seems the majority of people are just plain terrible in this world. I think we have to find the few good people in the world and stick close to them.
I heard something on here say their grandfather told them 20 percent of people are good, 20 percent are bad and the rest are varying shades of neutral, just living. Sounds right to me.

Marga

I hear you, Layna. I often feel like that too. So many bad things happening in the world. So many people being killed or hurt. So many people suffering - physically or emotionally. So many people fighting in wars and in arguments. Me too, I am also suffering and fighting. Makes me sad. Wish we as humankind had capacity for dealing with things better. Maybe we are learning, but not fast enough and not in sufficient scale.

Ziggy

Antiquitie's Friend
I heard something on here say their grandfather told them 20 percent of people are good, 20 percent are bad and the rest are varying shades of neutral, just living. Sounds right to me.
I'm glad that I've just read this. You can watch the news and think the world's a terrible place, but I guess it's not that bad a place. And then you think actually the problem is not the world, the problem is me, but I guess I'm just a varying shade of neutral too. And that's a good thing! (or a varying shade of neutral thing) I know people will say they know themselves and they know the world around them, and I think my brain is trying to deceive me, but maybe all brains do that? Having said that although we may not understand ourselves or the world, I wonder how much we can change either?

Last edited:

Waves

Have you ever felt in an instant to not let someone in front of you while driving or at a store? Or not offer money to the man who is short on money in grocery line? I have felt that instant reaction and say wow that is what people feel. It is a knee jerk reaction in which I get this fear of losing or being disadvantaged in some way. I see that nothing bad happens when I don’t react in a territorial or defensive way. I learned that we all end up at the same place eventually anyways. So how and how fast we get there doesn’t matter.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00