Don't want to grow up :(

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Little_me, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I don't know where to post this but anyway...
    I'll turn 18 next year. Most people of this age seems to look forward their birthday but I don't. I don't want to grow up! Everything about adulthood scares me. You are supposed to be able to take care of yourself when you are 18, but I can't even do that... I'm hopeless with most things, I'm like a little child in an grown-up body.. I'm scared! :(

Anyone feeling the same??
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Oh yes I feel the same. I could have written this. I haven't written this... with a few words changed... many times, and it is the central theme of every therapy session. I am 19, and when I was younger, could never imagine a life past 18. I didn't want the responsibility. I didn't adulthood.

What I've learned is that somewhere along the line you/I didn't get the nurturing and tools to learn how to grow up. We never did. And the hard part is teaching ourselves how to grow up. Being good parents to ourselves.

If you don't have a therapist I suggest getting one to help you do this, it's a tough road, especially without help. There's only so much help you can get here, but taking the next step is hard.

Currently I'm at home doing nothing. Three trips to the psych ward over the past year because of planning to kill myself.
    I know where you're at hun. Very scary. Message me anytime because I'm going through the exact same thing but have a at least one year under my belt into adulthood while still I feel like a three year old screaming for his mommy.

love :heart: