Don't want to live in a mental hospital!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Withdrawn, Oct 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Withdrawn

Withdrawn Well-Known Member

My doctor is very concerned about me and she might compulsively hospitalise me. Mum and Dad can't say no, neither can I, the doctor decides everything.
    She wants me to be in a psychiatric hospital. She tells me I'm mentally ill. That I need strong medicines and people looking after me day and night. I can't escape.
    My parents do not want me to be hospitalised, so they are trying to find another solution.

My doctor has diagnosed me with a phychosis. Now, I have these diagnoses: autism, selective mutism, social phobia, depression and phychosis.
    My diagnoses make me suicidal.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
  2. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

Withdrawn, Im sorry your going through this.

Can you give it a try and see if it will help you? Do you have that option? Can you think of the reason that brought you to this point, do you need the help, will this help change your life for the better?
  3. icewolf

icewolf Member

hospitals arent as bad as they make them look in the movies. went to one for a few weeks myself when i crashed a few years ago. they only keep you until they are sure you stabilized.

but if you are afraid that the doctor has one in mind that you dont like, then ask your parents to find a nice one and insist that you go there instead.

they cant send you to the ones with the padded walls unless you have been charged with a criminal type of insanity and you hurt ppl.
  4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you're in this position.

Can I ask how old you are and do you know why they say you're psychotic?

If I can't get back to you, please (or tell your parents to) look into mental health advocacy, youth support/counselling organisations, or charities where you are for some advise over some control/say over diagnosis and care.

One doctor shouldn't hold that kind of power over anyone.
  5. Withdrawn

Withdrawn Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone! :smile:

I'm 14 years old, and I hear voices in my head and see things that are not real. I'm paranoid, and have abnormal and horrible thoughts. That's all.
    They know I wouldn't hurt other people, but I could hurt myself or commit suicide.

I'm 100% sure a hospital wouldn't "cure" me!
  6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Do you know if hospital would offer you therapy that isn't purely medication?
    I really recommend it and you don't even need to go into hospital- you can access it through outpatient or through other organisations/agencies. There are loads of type of therapy too, things that are cognitive will help you cope and things that are to do with psychotherapy will help you try and figure out the reasons behind what you're going through. A therapist who does both and listens to you can make such a difference in reducing anxiety and self destructive thoughts, ways of coping.

You sound like you're going through loads- sleeping can be the best medication if you can do that :hug:
  7. down-and-maybeout

down-and-maybeout Well-Known Member

hi Withdrawn, i'm sorry to hear of your problems

i'm quite the opposite - i almost want to be hospitalised because i don't feel safe looking after my own affairs any more and if i tell anyone around me that i'm suicidal half the time it would just make matters worse

i hope you find the strength to carry on but if you do end up in hospital maybe it wouldn't be so bad?
  8. solutions

solutions Well-Known Member

I'm actually looking into getting into a hospital. It's a safe place with intensive treatment. It might even be pleasant. I don't think you have much to worry about if you do end up going.

Just make sure to stay out of a state hospital, if you can help it. State hospitals are much less well trained and staffed than private hospitals. They can potentially be miserable, with unsympathetic staff.

Anyway, don't worry too hard about the hospital itself. It's hit or miss, but the right hospital can be very beneficial. You might find it helpful for you.
  9. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Hey Withdrawn, I'm really sorry to hear what youre going through.

It makes me sad to hear what you're dealing with, especially at your age.

I was hospitalized and was really against it at first, but it was the best thing that could have happened to me. I know some other people in the program refused meds, and only did groups & individual therapy, and they had some really great results too. I'm not sure how it works for minors, but I imagine if you and your parents are in agreement about no meds, they can't force them on you. (The exception being, if you become dangerous/violent to yourself or others they might sedate you temporarily.) But to my knowledge they can't force any antidepressants/antipsychotics on you with you and/or your parents permission.

I really hope things work out for you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.