Doomsday device?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by fromthatshow, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Two articles I found about this device they're starting up this summer that could create a black hole that could swallow earth!

"The particle smashers, used to study the nuclei of atoms, take two beams of protons and smash them together after reaching extremely high energies. Scientists hope, in the process, to discover new types of smaller particles, known as quarks.
    Wagner insisted safety reports he has seen so far do not rule out his black-hole scenario.
    A micro black hole would simply bounce around, hitting other atoms and absorbing them into itself," he said, then, over a period of months or years the reaction would eventually grow to swallow the Earth."

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=65175

http://www.world-science.net/othernews/080201_dimensions.htm

I think getting sucked into a black hole might be really cool. I have a feeling it's like that episode of family guy where Chris gets pulled in behind the milk cartons at the grocery store and everyone starts dancing to Take On Me.

Thinking about black holes makes me feel a lot better about life actually. I think it'd be a good way for humanity to go out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2008
  2. unbearable

unbearable Well-Known Member

3. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

I dont know why there hasnt been much publicity on this thing. Its going to be the most important discovery for the human race as a species, and ive only ever seen a couple of articles on the internet. :blink: I doubt it will cause a black hole though, scientists say that about everything they arent sure about. :laugh:

4. OK - so I had a look at all the vids. It's kewl (for me) - endlessly fascinating (but only for the time I'm here) - perhaps even saving me from despair in many moments by embracing AWE (never a bad thing). And perhaps, just as hopefully as it potentially does for others.

Still...the bottom line is - we've already invented (Ah - so-clever-are-WE!) LEGION and concurrent ways to quite effectively (and most certainly) dispose of ourselves and the plague we reign upon this earth in our inconcievably short time here.

Even if "Aliens" are recording any of this shit - we'd likely only possibly make it into some of the most obscure footnotes... "And then...there was Earth..."

You know... the reason we can't get over ourselves - and actually contribute something POSITIVE - or at least "sustainable" (instead of being of an ultimately parasitical nature by it's very definition) - is because - we CAN'T get over ourselves!

:mad:

Does/would any other "vermin" (which we and we alone deem as such in other species) indulge in and perpetate such HUBRIS?? And if being "conscious" and having "a conscience" were indeed gifts that make us supposedly "superior" and so-far-different than other creatures (oh pelEEZ!) - what in the Universe's Name have we done to concede/acknowledge any of it??

:mad:

5. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Although I hope all safety measures are being taken, they shouldn't do it unless there is a 100% chance that nothing bad will happen. But knowing how some scientists can be, there won't be a 100% safety net.

6. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

i was thinking about this, what if someone is cutting their stake with a very sharp knife and split an atom? It has to be possible, just extremely rare.

fuck, i can't wait till something destroyes everything.

7. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

The current disproportion between matter and anti-matter in our universe suggests conditions highly unsuitable for the triggering of micro black holes through this relatively safe procedure.

There is however, a small possibility of abnormalities in magnetic, elastic, and thermal energies. As a precaution, tune into the weather channel and gargle vinegar on mornings when the humidity is predicted to be high. Wrap your neck thrice over in palladium foil before going to bed on nights when there is a full moon - this will prevent your jugular vein from bursting spontaneously.

Small amounts of vodka may be used as flower preservatives since they interfere with the plant's ripening processes, but that doesn't change the fact that your feet smell horrible. Can't you at least light up some incense before removing your socks?

8. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

That's stupid. Insisting on 100% safety is the way to ensure that nothing new is ever done or discovered.

9. fromthatshow

I feel this too. In awe. But I am more thankful that this is an oppurtunity for it all to end.

10. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Black holes are one of the few things that really scare me. Being sucked into a weak, black hole won't be cool by any means; the weak black holes lead to a slow, extremely painful death.

My life has just turned around completely and I'm not depressed, anymore, and now I may get sucked into a black hole. These scientists should be executed at the spot for even thinking of doing such unsafe experiments. How dare they think they can just do it at a whim, like this? Someone seriously should kill them before they get the chance to do it.

As for why the knowledge of things like these aren't spread around: Denial. It's like with when almost all people think that Earth is getting warmer because of greenhouse gases, when, in actuality, it's getting warmer because of temporary variations in the sun. People can't accept that since people want to be able to be in control. A doomsday scenario like this is just too much to take in, thus they just disregard it.

11. fromthatshow

Really? :sad:. I'm not as excited anymore.

12. unbearable

13. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

I say: let's turn the bastard on and roll! Then we can jettison a rocket into space with our epitath; "we were such a badass race that we killed ourselves with black holes." The greys would have nothing on us.

14. unbearable

:rofl:

15. protonaut

Hey guys, I have a new idea for a discussion in soap box that's never been done before. First, we could link to a random conspiracy website, ambiguous blog, or news article on a topic nobody here really understands at all. The important thing is that it's a fascinating subject or that the article contains lots of rhetoric so that people will be interested. Then we can all pretend we're experts and 'debate' by finding new sources that oppose views presented by earlier posters, or talk out our asses for several paragraphs hoping that someone will buy into our rants.

16. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Being a smartass, huh? If you read the safety report that unbearable linked to, that the project leaders themselves have written, you will see that they use wordings such as "extremely unlikely" that black holes will be created, and IF they are created, it is "expected" that they will die out, and, again, IF they do not die out, they are expecting that they will be safe in the earth ground. I myself do not see how anyone could feel safe with that information. Execute them all for endangering the whole planet and blow up the device, I say. Something like that would need military action, though, and we won't see that happening, unfortunately.

17. protonaut

Congratulations for buying into the accuracy of statements that someone else made even though you probably lack expertise in that field. Perhaps I'm wrong and you've in fact been writing books on this area of science for years. In that case, go ahead and start a petition in favor of executing these men. Good luck.

18. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Somehow I'm expected to know more about this than the makers of the safety report. Sounds reasonable.

You sure there aren't women, as well?

19. protonaut

Before making statements like these:

You should have a very good understanding of the perceived threat, probabilities of danger, and the technology involved in this particular project.

Personally, I've made no serious conclusions about whether this project is truly dangerous or not. It's not my place to state whether it should be carried out or canceled because I'm not knowledgeable enough in this area of science. The real debate is for scientists in my opinion.

It's possible to take interest in the subject and approach conversation without conclusive statements based more on fear than logic.

20. zzz

zzz Well-Known Member

I haven’t read these articles because they don’t interest me so I’m not going to comment on them, but just thought I would chip into say that some of us know intuitively what is right and what is wrong. That doesn’t mean you can make an intuitive decision on everything without first studying it, but there are some things that you just know are wrong, or right, without having to research them. Interesting that nearly all the millions of animals that have retained their intuitive instincts managed to survive the 2005 tsunami whilst most of the humans who have lost that ability and moved towards the intellectual all perished.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/01/0104_050104_tsunami_animals.html

Sorry to break the thread but I see so much unnecessary conflict on this forum between these two different types of people. I will stick to my intuition, which has served me well in so many situations, including my work as a computer programmer. Yes, I love science too. We need both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.