Downloading media

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by hammockmonkey, Oct 8, 2007.

Is it immoral to participate in internet piracy?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Maybe/depends

4. Undecided

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

I download a lot of movies and music. Do you think it is wrong for people to participate in internet piracy?
  2. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

ive put undecided even though i download movies all the time.

Legally i will say it is wrong, but i think that as long as you arent hurting anyone phsyically or financially then i dont see it as a problem. I mean i know that they lose profits from piracy but you dont exactly see them living in cardboard boxes do you?
  3. ybt

ybt Guest

I put "depends". Normally, it's stealing. It's wrong. Story, end of. But the problem is that albums are so expensive unncessarily so that downloading is the best option currently. I buy albums of the artists I like and just download the rest.
  4. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

Well-established musicians gain a big bulk of their profit from touring. We're talking thousands of dollars for one night of performance, in cases of major gigs.

On the other hand, unknown artists who are fighting to make a name for themselves will certainly benefit from exposure on the internet. The trading of music online is a lot like word-of-mouth advertising, it can lead to greater profit for the artists in the long-term.

You can sleep well knowing that your Pink Floyd torrent isn't taking a big bite out of Roger Waters' wallet.

Maybe you realize all of this, but feel that internet piracy is a violation of your moral principles. Well, it's really your decision to make - I'm not personally against it, though there are some occasions where it goes over the line.

Some people buy blank cds in bulk, copy music on to the cds, label them, and sell them off for cheap. That isn't right, in my opinion.

Some artists have been changing their marketing strategies in response to wide-spread piracy.
  5. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Gobalization is still in it's teething stages as far as the internet is concerned. You have to imagine that `back int day` music was sold on physical apparatus and was not available to such a widespread amount of people.
    Whereas today if you can sell your song for a penny a shot and a massive chunk of people buy it (as it is only a penny) then you're making a lot of money. If your song is popular enough it will also sell for higher prices with ease. The very fact we have to spend 10 - 20 pounds/dollars on music albums and CD's, games and media means a lot of people will resort to piracy and when they do that the prices of the DVD's yadi yah also increase because the revenue is lost.
    The globalization technique should solve that problem by making a user friendly interface that basically means if you set up a secure account with whoever and you just have to click what you want to listen to watch, play and you will be able to access it for a minimal cost. This means more people will listen or watch or play the media which can lead to widespread merchandising as people can sample the media and it won't be lost in the media void. I've seen to many good media go to waste because no one bothered to see what they were like.
  6. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I kinda feel bad sometimes. Not for the band but for me! haha
    I read an article the other day, about a woman who got fined like $30 000 for this. She was uploading and downloading on a program called kazaar (or something like that)
    It's a scary thought, but seriously HEAPS of people do it. I mean I'd much rather download 30 songs for free than have to pay $30 for a CD!
  7. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Of course it's immoral. It's stealing. The fact that everybody does it doesn't make it any less wrong than murder would be if everyone murdered.
  8. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

It is stealing, but I don't always feel bad about it, especially when the movie I download is a total piece of shit. I mean, half the time, you go into a movie based on the trailer and it was blatant false advertising, which is not cool. If the movie industry wasn't charging 10.50 USD for every movie then I would just pay for it, like I do for music (1 dollar per song is worth it for a good song IMO). But it is stealing, and lately, I've decided that when I download a movies and they turn out to be good, I will just go online and buy the tickets and just not show up at the theater. That way, the good movies still get the money. I'm still stealing the shitty movies, but I wouldn't usually have paid to rent or see them anyway if they weren't available online, so they wouldn't have gotten my cash anyway. Maybe I'm rationalizing, but movies used to be a fun night out for the whole family, and now you practically need to take out a second mortgage to take a family of 4.
  9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Jeez! Where do you live? I can rend 5 movies for the weekend for $10. There's gotta be a good one in there somewhere.

Downloaders are only hurting themselves in the long run. They say most movies and music are crap. And yet, if they take profits away from those who make them, well, everybody wants to make money. It would be nice if they could do it for free but they don't.

I do personally think you should be able to preview something like 15-20 minutes of a 2 hour movie. That's usually enough time to figure out if you'd like it or not. Trailers can easily be deceptive because they only have to make you like a couple of minutes of clips taken out of context.
  10. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

:) I live in a huge city where it is very expensive to go to the movies. And I pretty much agree with most of what you say, especially the 15-20 minute preview idea.
  11. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

I cannot afford to buy much , but the people who make movies/ music usually make alot while I can't afford to even buy much media. So if it's to the point where the creators are seriously suffering because of it then its wrong and you shouldn't do it, but if instead of being very rich they only get to be rich ZoMg! etcetera I don't give a care :) . They could sue me yes but I'm already poor they aren't getting shit lol. Its more wrong to let people suffer than it is to be less rich. Greedy corporations rip us off, may as well get our moneys worth by getting free media.
  12. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

13. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

glad I wasn't a member. . . .
  14. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

However, in the case of murder, you can quite clearly see who has been affected-i.e., the dead people, and their families. The sad fact is that internet piracy harms no-one.
  15. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member has been shut down now, too.

But for every site that's closed, 5 more go up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.